pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
From the Argus Website:

"When 17,000 watched the reserves

1:40pm Thursday 10th December 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
By Howard Griggs »

There were some memorable goals at the Goldstone Ground over the years.

Stuart Storer’s strike against Doncaster, Garry Nelson's FA Cup cracker against Arsenal in 1988 and Gerry Ryan’s goal that helped sink Liverpool in a televised Cup game in 1984.

There was also Jimmy Case’s goal against Norwich which sent the Seagulls through to the 1983 FA Cup semi-finals.

Vaughan Woolley has his own memorable strike too, not necessarily for the quality of the goal but for the fact that he jumped into the stand to celebrate with fans in a crowd of 17,554.

And it was not even a first-team match.

Albion’s biggest Withdean crowd this season stands at 7,615 for the 3-0 defeat against Leeds but 10,000 more than that turned out for a reserve game at home to Charlton in October 1976.

Woolley was on target in a 3-0 win – a game he will never forget.

See The Argus today for the full, fascinating interview"

Does anyone else remember that barmy night? If I remember correctly it was to get Cup tickets for the Ipswich match.

I'm not sure what the actual crowd was though, as many of us went in and out several times, because you had to but the cup ticket as you went through the turnstile, and they were limited.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought it was vs Charlton reserves for the Derby match?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Yes it was for the Derby game
Seem to remember having to go to reserve game for FA cuptickets back in 1960's...was it for the Chelsea game.........that must have been a large reserve crowd.. or am I getting confused.....must be an age thing:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I really cannot remember that well. Didn't we play Derby away, at the old Baseball Ground, and the twat with the microphone moaned because we were drowning him out!? :lolol:

I remember the home game, purely for Charlie George having a shot that cleared the bar and dissapeared into the crowd in the North Stand like an excocet.

You could see from the East Terrace people diving for cover. I think we lost 3-1 at Derby in the replay and received a few bruises that night

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I remember the home game, purely for Charlie George having a shot that cleared the bar and dissapeared into the crowd in the North Stand like an excocet.

You could see from the East Terrace people diving for cover. I think we lost 3-1 at Derby in the replay and received a few bruises that night

I think we stood our ground.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Seem to remember having to go to reserve game for FA cuptickets back in 1960's...was it for the Chelsea game.........that must have been a large reserve crowd.. or am I getting confused.....must be an age thing:)

I remembered it too - thought there were more than 17,000 for that particular one, though most people were buying their tickets and leaving. Great bit of marketing as I think it still cost a few bob to get into those reserve games!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I thought it was the year that we beat them, and lost to Forest in the next round? If it was the night I am thinking about, and you are talking about when they tried to jump us from behind on the way to the station, then I am sure they had a lot more bruises than us!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

You are correct. I think the crowd at that game was over 20,000.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I think we stood our ground.

Wasn't it 2-0 in the replay. was a great away following that evening, recall being in a pub after game with some home fans who said we had made more noise than any visiting fans that season.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Wasn't it 2-0 in the replay. was a great away following that evening, recall being in a pub after game with some home fans who said we had made more noise than any visiting fans that season.

It was 2-1, Spider Mellor got the Albion goal early in the second half .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the Argus Website:

"When 17,000 watched the reserves

1:40pm Thursday 10th December 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
By Howard Griggs »

There were some memorable goals at the Goldstone Ground over the years.

Stuart Storer’s strike against Doncaster, Garry Nelson's FA Cup cracker against Arsenal in 1988 and Gerry Ryan’s goal that helped sink Liverpool in a televised Cup game in 1984.

There was also Jimmy Case’s goal against Norwich which sent the Seagulls through to the 1983 FA Cup semi-finals.

Vaughan Woolley has his own memorable strike too, not necessarily for the quality of the goal but for the fact that he jumped into the stand to celebrate with fans in a crowd of 17,554.

And it was not even a first-team match.

Albion’s biggest Withdean crowd this season stands at 7,615 for the 3-0 defeat against Leeds but 10,000 more than that turned out for a reserve game at home to Charlton in October 1976.

Woolley was on target in a 3-0 win – a game he will never forget.

See The Argus today for the full, fascinating interview"

Does anyone else remember that barmy night? If I remember correctly it was to get Cup tickets for the Ipswich match.

I'm not sure what the actual crowd was though, as many of us went in and out several times, because you had to but the cup ticket as you went through the turnstile, and they were limited.

Tell you what was INFINITELY more embarassing.

Was when the Albion got drawn against Chelski youth a season or two back.

Biggest queue for a game ever seen at Withdean bar NONE.

Made you want to vomit really.

Cos you just KNEW that 90% of the people in the queue had come to see Chelski youth.

f*** 'em, Albion won anyways :salute:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was there that night to get my tickets for the Derby match. The Derby match stands out as one of the best ever North Stand atmospheres I ever experienced.

(For info, the promotion game vs Shef' Weds beat it).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was one of the 17,000! The Derby gate was 33,000+ Derby were League Champions. Charlie George had a 1 on 1 in the first minute and missed and then Wardy went straight up the other end and scored. One of the best goal celebrations (crowd) ever at the Goldstone! George equalised in the second half and we lost the replay but it was one of those signature moments on the way to the top division.
PG

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Too modest to say it was peter Grummit who made that save from george & kicked the ball upfield for Wardy?

I think it's the best policy to sell cup tickets at a prior game. At least it means those big time fans are having to pay for 2 games.

I also remember 20,000+ for a league game against lowly Barrow when LC tickets were onsale for a game v Wolves. Also much quicker than quewing at a window.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Too modest to say it was peter Grummit who made that save from george & kicked the ball upfield for Wardy?

No, just too old to remember. I was trying to recall who the goalie was for us and didn't get past Molesley - who I think might have been playing for Derby (or was it Colin Boulton?).
PG

A doris wonderland

:lolol:BEAT SOUTHEND OVER 2 LEGS IN THE FIRST ROUND,GOT FIRST DIVISION IPSWICH AWAY AND GOT 0-0 DRAW BEAT THEM BACK AT THE GOLDSTONE 2-1 IN FRONT OF 26,000 THEN WE GOT DIV 1 WEST BROM AWAY AND WARDY GOT BOTH GOALS IN OUR 2-0 WIN,TOOK TWO CHARTER TRAINS TO THAT ONE,THEN GOT DIV 1 DERBY AT HOME 33,500 CROWD ,WENT ONE UP AFTER 35 SECONDS ( WARDY) DERBY GOT THE DRAW,LOST 2-1 AT THE BASEBALL GROUND. DIDN'T MISS A GAME ON THAT CUP RUN!:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:lolol:BEAT SOUTHEND OVER 2 LEGS IN THE FIRST ROUND,GOT FIRST DIVISION IPSWICH AWAY AND GOT 0-0 DRAW BEAT THEM BACK AT THE GOLDSTONE 2-1 IN FRONT OF 26,000 THEN WE GOT DIV 1 WEST BROM AWAY AND WARDY GOT BOTH GOALS IN OUR 2-0 WIN,TOOK TWO CHARTER TRAINS TO THAT ONE,THEN GOT DIV 1 DERBY AT HOME 33,500 CROWD ,WENT ONE UP AFTER 35 SECONDS ( WARDY) DERBY GOT THE DRAW,LOST 2-1 AT THE BASEBALL GROUND. DIDN'T MISS A GAME ON THAT CUP RUN!:lolol:

Wardy was a DISGRACE that game, he scored 2 and missed about 10...even missing one from underneath the bar I seem to recall.

as we arrived, the famous West Midlands Police facists started shouting at us ( there was only about 50 in the ground when we got in)..." No swearing, jumping, running about or you are out". Miserable fuckers.

Wasnt it a mid week evening game? I seem to remember having time off school to see the game and went up on the Seagulls Speacial train ( we were told to close the curtains on the train as it was being bricked coming out of the station)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here