Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's this with drying the ball before taking throw-ins?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
During yesterday's Stoke-Hull game the guy with the long throw (is it Delap?) had a towel available on the side-line and used it to dry the ball before each throw-in. Towards the end of the game the Hull players were doing it too.

Why would the referee allow it? Next the players will be wanting a towel tucked into their shorts to dry the ball, or their boots, before free kicks.

For me it is too much like time wasting. When the ball's wet, it's wet. End of. the practice should be banned immediately.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I guess it's to stop a wet ball slipping out of their hands mid-throw.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont see how spending 5 seconds to dry the ball before a throw in is time wasting, especially if a wet ball slips out of your hands thus meaning it either has to be taken again, or the throw goes to the other team, meaning longer is wasted

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Pretty sure that's been going on unofficially for years. Tranmere used to have a player that would always get a ball boy to hand him a towel before they took a long throw in a few years back

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
During yesterday's Stoke-Hull game the guy with the long throw (is it Delap?) had a towel available on the side-line and used it to dry the ball before each throw-in. Towards the end of the game the Hull players were doing it too.

Why would the referee allow it? Next the players will be wanting a towel tucked into their shorts to dry the ball, or their boots, before free kicks.

For me it is too much like time wasting. When the ball's wet, it's wet. End of. the practice should be banned immediately.

Your either very stupid or just love a moan about nothing, or both.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I dont see how spending 5 seconds to dry the ball before a throw in is time wasting, especially if a wet ball slips out of your hands thus meaning it either has to be taken again, or the throw goes to the other team, meaning longer is wasted

Well, yesterday Hull did use it to time waste. It was 1-1 and there were seconds left, and they had a throw in and their player was set to take it then stpped, turned around and walked over to the ball boy to get the towel, then thoroughly dried the ball, gave the ballboy the towel then returned to the spot then had a look to see who he could throw it to.

The practice was banned a few years ago after the towelling got out of hands. I guess it has either become a forgotten rule, or they quietly removed it when everyone stopped doing it.

They discussed it on soccer sunday this morning

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well, yesterday Hull did use it to time waste. It was 1-1 and there were seconds left, and they had a throw in and their player was set to take it then stpped, turned around and walked over to the ball boy to get the towel, then thoroughly dried the ball, gave the ballboy the towel then returned to the spot then had a look to see who he could throw it to.

And the player? One Paul McShane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here