Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the worst weather conditions you have encountered at a match?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
bristol rovers at home maybe 90,91 couldnt believe the rain,def boxing day

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rochdale just before Christmas 99. We lost 4-3. It rained, it blew, it was cold. If i'd jumped into a swimming pool I couldn't have got wetter.

Barnet was f***ing freezing.

Southend away August 2000 was a scorcher.

The Cup Semi Final at Highbury against Sheffield Wednesday was also bloody hot.

Peterborough in 85, I don't remember being that cold cos we were all tightly packed in.

A few years ago, about 91? 92? 93? we were playing a match at Cambridge. It was a perfectly sunny day, it bit cold, but typical football weather. The second the players left the pitch for half time, a blizzard blew up and we could pelted, soaked and shat on from the heavens. When the players came out, the sunshine immediately returned, the pitch was white and the club had to go searching for an orange ball. They only had one. I, meanwhile, was drenched and freezing.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Holland - Morroco 1994 world cup in Orlando. They reconed it was near on 120 degrees on the pitch, and not much cooler in the stands. I have never been so hot in all my life.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Hottest - Oldham away opening day this season.

Wettest - also Oldham some time in the mid 80s. There was probably about 100 of us on the terrace behind the goal - the same end as current away end. The rain was torrential from the moment we got off the coach until we got back on. This was helped by the traditional icy gale force wind coming in off the Pennines (well it was September) and blowing the rain straight into our faces. To cap it all we completely dominated the game and lost 1-0 to their only shot - a 40 yarder down wind. I think this was the season that the Daily Star were awarding points to fans for their vocal support, sense of humour etc. I think we got the only maximum score of the season.

Coldest - possibly Huddersfield on the Saturday before Christmas also in the mid 80s. Freezing wind, snow flurries and two late Gerry Ryan goals for a 2-1 win.

Dandyman

In London village.
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Hottest - Oldham away opening day this season.

Wettest - also Oldham some time in the mid 80s. There was probably about 100 of us on the terrace behind the goal - the same end as current away end. The rain was torrential from the moment we got off the coach until we got back on. This was helped by the traditional icy gale force wind coming in off the Pennines (well it was September) and blowing the rain straight into our faces. To cap it all we completely dominated the game and lost 1-0 to their only shot - a 40 yarder down wind. I think this was the season that the Daily Star were awarding points to fans for their vocal support, sense of humour etc. I think we got the only maximum score of the season.

Coldest - possibly Huddersfield on the Saturday before Christmas also in the mid 80s. Freezing wind, snow flurries and two late Gerry Ryan goals for a 2-1 win.

I'm amazed you were sober enough to remember any of that !

Eating chicken balti pies in 85F heat was a slightly surreal experience...

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
hottest i 'think' was a v bradford (first game of season?? or possibly last?) at the goldstone early nineties.

i may just be remembering it ALL wrong but i seem to remember dying of heat exhaustion.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the conditions at Withdean for that Southend game were so freakish that even David Lee scored for them.

I remember the Boxing Day Bristol Rovers game, in which they scored after about 3 minutes and we spent the entire rest of the match camped in their half, desperately trying to get the ball in the net. One of those days.

Leicester last season was good for fog, it was so thick they didn't know they'd scored.

Also remember a midweek Goldstone game against Northampton the year we won promotion from the old third division (1989?) when it absolutely lashed down. They were just behind us in the league, but we caned them 3-0, and played really well despite the appalling conditions. Sticks in the mind because on the way home we came across a really bad car accident at Pyecombe, in which it later turned out two Northampton fans died.

I can always tell which games were rainy, because the programme pages are inevitably dog eared and stuck together.

Nov 3, 2003
apart from most at Withdean remember PortSCUMouth several years ago away there how many could cram in toilets at half time for a brief relief from the rain lashing staight into you watched second half drowned like a rat!

Nov 3, 2003
"I remember the Boxing Day Bristol Rovers game, in which they scored after about 3 minutes and we spent the entire rest of the match camped in their half, desperately trying to get the ball in the net. One of those days."

Was this same game when in the South Stand Goldstone aback pass got stuck in the mud when had pitch been reasonable ok had reacehd the last line defence and no one wood scored?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
FG aka Football Genius. said:
apart from most at Withdean remember PortSCUMouth several years ago away there how many could cram in toilets at half time for a brief relief from the rain lashing staight into you watched second half drowned like a rat!

But ewe are forgitting that Dick Tight personally hymself ordered that rain to rain on ewe it was all his fault he shoud step aside and lit somwon who has an endluss surply off sunsheene take ovar.

SeagullSimon

Jul 5, 2003
Kent Uni; Bexhill
barnet (a) 98. that was a wet day!

Warmest - the trip to Peterborough in 2002 on the top floor of JMC's coach with no air-con. Roasting it was (and not in the premiership sense)

Coldest - 1990 - two trips to Oldham in January - even the plastic pitch froze. QPR away on Boxing Day 2001.

Wettest - Barnet away in 99 - we were still ringing the water out of our coats when we got hack to London bridge. Cardiff at home in the early 90s - the one that got called off around 8.50 when the whale from the cricket club failed to get about 5000 gallons out of the south stand penalty area.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
i really cant beleive noone has mentioned the game against Cardiff at teh Goldston, probably 94-95 season i think might be earlier. anyway i was standing on the East terrace with my cousin (Gotsmanov) it was absolutely pissing down and had been for about three hours before the game and i cant beleive we actually chose to stand there! The weather made the match absolutely brilliant we were 4-1 down by half time and had begun to think about leaving but we stayed, Kurt Nogan got a hat trick and the cardiff fans started cheering our goals! it ended up 5-3 to them but it was the last time we have shared jovial banter with the Cardiff fans it was great!

filthy said:
The rochdale game tippted it down, got soaked, the leicester game was the most foggist game i ever seen (or couldn't) also bradford last year i seem to be quite wet after the game but we won 3-2! :)

It bucketed down all through that match, I was very pleased I bought the plastic KKK outfit on the way in!
A dramatic game though, thankfully, with a few good goals - Sidwell buried one from outside the area after their goallie was off his line.
Kuipers was sent off for diving at a player's feet, in the last minutes I think, and they got a penalty for it. Bloody ref's a wanker.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The coldest that I can remember was Cardiff at home in Feb 85. The East Terrace was closed due to snow and ice on the terraces and we all huddled in the North Stand. Because we were the only game that survived the weather in the top 2 divisions we were the main match on MOTD that night with the low level West stand camera providing the pictures. Dire game too 1-0, Hutchings.

I also remember 3 seasons in one day at Cambridge in 94. We had hot sun, hail, torrential rain and snow. Lost 2-1

The drowned rat days at Withdean have been too numerous to mention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here