Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the furthest north you can go with a Network Railcard?

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
About the Network Railcard:
Anyone can purchase a Network Railcard, it costs £20.00, and is valid for one year. However you will only receive 33% discount on most train fares in the old Network SouthEast area including Connex, SWT, Silverlink, Thameslink, WAGN Railway, c2c, and Thames Trains. A Network Railcard cannot be used for :
First Class, Eurostar or Special Charters, Season Tickets, Anglia Railways services, or Heathrow Express
Network Railcards are not valid for travel before 10:00, and are also not valid if you are travelling between train stations in the centre of London where Underground fares apply. You cannot travel on Great Western services departing London between 16:00 and 19:00 between Monday and Friday

The area covered by Network Southeast can be found on the map below:

http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/images/map.jpg

Thetrainline.com is such a SHIT website. The furthest station on the Brighton-Norwich route is Manningtree, yet the website gives the same price whether you mention you have a railcard or not.. Grrr.

Nevermind, though. Managed to pick up a 'Super Advance' ticket for £36. Bonus. Now I get to see Norwich versus Blackburn.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
see...thats the problem with privatisation.

it would be so much more simple if the whole area was still network southeast...then it would be the network southeast railcard

ah well

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Safeway said:
Going up to Norwich next week and, although I know it won't cover that far, I reckon I should be able to save a few quid buying a ticket so far on the railcard and then another for the remainder of the journey.

Can't find a map ANYWHERE.
you can use the 4 for 20.00 offer upto one stop b 4 ipswich,so a fiver to their,not sure bout norwich

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think you might be able to make Cambridge on a network rail card Safeway.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Re: Re: What's the furthest north you can go with a Network Railcard?

empire said:
you can use the 4 for 20.00 offer upto one stop b 4 ipswich,so a fiver to their,not sure bout norwich

Are you sure?

I thought that was a SOUTHERN offer.

And the company that runs the London to Norwich line isn't SOUTHERN.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm with fatboy here as I seem to remember it being a southern offer, in which case the furthest north you can get is Watford Junction.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I'm with Sam here.

When you buy the four for one you have to buy it via the SOUTHERN website, so it would not be valid on other train operators.

Not exactly sure about what network cards do, but I think they just give you a discount in a certain area (up to Manningtree).

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Safeway said:
Thetrainline.com is such a SHIT website. The furthest station on the Brighton-Norwich route is Manningtree, yet the website gives the same price whether you mention you have a railcard or not.. Grrr.

Nevermind, though. Managed to pick up a 'Super Advance' ticket for £36. Bonus. Now I get to see Norwich versus Blackburn.
I've just tried qjump.co.uk and a return to Manningtree from Brighton next week comes in at £19.75 with a return from Manningtree to Norwich costing £16.40.

So that would have cost you an extra 15p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here