Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best ending to a TV show?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
OFAH when they walked into the sunset, millionaires. The next three episodes ruined it!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Have you seen the documentary about how they made that final scene? Really interesting, wasn't meant to be like that at all but the end result was perfect.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The Sopranos
I like an ending that keeps you thinking what would have happened
Leaving it on a knife edge a bit like The Italian Job (did they get of the mountain with the gold or not )

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't disagree FB, though I did like the way they wrapped up Ashes to Ashes at the end of the final episode.
Agree with both those, and the OFAH ending (just pretend the other 'post-end' episodes never happened, that they were just made-up stories).

What made them good was that everybody wanted them ended and wrapped up. Compare that to some of the American series where they try and leave the end of a series, sorry, 'season', as ambiguous as possible so that it will be re-commissioned for a new season. One of my wife's relatives was a producer on a series called FlashForward that did exactly that and tried to blackmail the network into commissioning a third series by saying "Look, you can't leave the fans in suspense like that, they want to know what happens." The network replied by saying basically "There aren't enough fans for us to worry what they think."

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The Sopranos
I like an ending that keeps you thinking what would have happened
Leaving it on a knife edge a bit like The Italian Job (did they get of the mountain with the gold or not )

I liked the ending of the Soprano's but to me it meant that Tony got shot, as the music stopped

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a tear in my eye on the farewell episode of Chucklevision. Barry Chuckle, the deformed pint-sized brother, the to-me of the pairing, rests on his deathbed, hilarious elephant-trunk slippers on his wrongly-pointing-to-heaven feet, and talks through his dearest and most dramatic of times with Paul. Flashback after flashback follow in this 3 hour epic. To really break the viewer's heart, they expertly mix in tales of their real lives also. So, weaved into the classic narratives of opening an inflatable dinghy business with a faulty pump and their homage to Caddyshack with a hedgehog on a golf course they are the handymen on coughing up spiky balls that Barry repeatedly thinks are golfballs and pricking his fingers each time he lifts, are stories and memories of their sordid sexlives, including cartoon drawings of their reminiscences of their end of series shindigs in which all the men and women dressed as felines or hogs or bears or huge slithering snails are invited back for some human-centipede-esque bloody conga-ing. I was sick once or twice whilst watching it, but i had the sense that i'd started to get to the origins of the Chuckles, and go through the boxset i'd bought of theirs one episode at a time understanding how it really did reflect their lives and careers and nightmarish failings. I was shocked by them fundamentally informing fans that the episode we'd known so well, the dark and multilayered Doctor Doctor, in which both brothers attempt to out-psychologically-analyse the other, their freudian beards growing longer as they silent thought and stroked them, actually included some of the dialogue from the sessions Barry had personally gone through concerning his addiction to lipbalm application that had spilt from simple wipages to his own very dry mouth to the smearing of it on passersby - he'd actually becomes a masked pervert over it, prancing around the streets of Rotherham with a little home-made splurt pistol that fired out tiny bubbles of healthy goo onto the faces of the unsuspecting, his brother behind him with an unrecording camera to fool the innocent into believing it was just another episode performed by the legends. I miss them. Reports say that Paul intends to have Barry stuffed and continue on the road with his snuffed brother, a ghoulish and gurning grin on his little rotten face, a look of complete idiocy written across his brow and miniature tape forever on playback inserted where his heart once lay whispering a to-me and an oh lovingly again and again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I seem to remember M*A*S*H, was tough.

I'll youtube my memory.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Agree with both those, and the OFAH ending (just pretend the other 'post-end' episodes never happened, that they were just made-up stories).

What made them good was that everybody wanted them ended and wrapped up. Compare that to some of the American series where they try and leave the end of a series, sorry, 'season', as ambiguous as possible so that it will be re-commissioned for a new season. One of my wife's relatives was a producer on a series called FlashForward that did exactly that and tried to blackmail the network into commissioning a third series by saying "Look, you can't leave the fans in suspense like that, they want to know what happens." The network replied by saying basically "There aren't enough fans for us to worry what they think."

FlashForward never even got a second series, let alone a third. Great premise, terrible execution. Would agree with The Sopranos and would also add West Wing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The last ever Jim'll Fix It, brought a tear to my eye.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Dr house, season 8 the final ever episode is an absolute cracker. Possibly the greatest t.v series I have ever watched and it ended so brilliantly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here