Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Singapore like as a place to work?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Anyone got any experience of working or living on the island of Singapore? I've never even been.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Anyone got any experience of working or living on the island of Singapore? I've never even been.

Its constantly boiling for starters.Worked in Cecil Street for a while, I ,.loved it the food (indian and chinese) is great, but its dear. apartments are clean but soul less as a rule.

Gaylang is good if you want some old school Singapore, as very little remains.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
As much soul as a roofless all-seater stadium .
32c everyday , 100 % humidity everyday ,
sun rises at 6 everyday , sunsets at 6 everyday .
If Singapore was a movie , it would be , "Groundhog Day" .

From what I've read, it's exceptionally clean and well ordered. No chewing gum stains beneath your feet as it's banned; crime and anti-social behaviour are very low, although it's quite crowded. English is the official language. If you can stand the humidy and constant heat (it's almost on the Equator) and you have a good job there, then it sounds like a great place to live.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It is so absolutely rammed full of brasses I would not worry to much about Frankie Vaughn.

If churchill square turned into 4 floors of knocking shops at 6pm then you would think Brighton was the most risque place in the world. Its funny how people think Singapore is all buttoned up. There is a lot of 'front' in Singapore (especially about multiclturalism and its success) that scratch the surface and its not true.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Apparently it's impossible:
Censorship in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well at least my eyesight would improve. This is all a long way off from happening btw if it happens at all but just wondered what people thought.

There are stacks of Brits out there (good thing or not you decide) but you are never short of somewhere to have a pint and watch the football. It is a bit boring though but you are 2 hrs tops £50 budget flight from countless amazing places for the weekend, and driving up country.

The weather does me in though I really really hate it.

Singapore is Asia Lite, is the best way I have heard it described.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Worked there for 6 weeks this spring. Its a great place. I don't know why its got the reputation for being souless - jealousy maybe.

Have a good time - I'm sure you will

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I spent three days there on the way home from Malaysia, all I can say is that it wasn't as clinically clean as you might expect...I can't say that it was any more or less soulless than countless other cities that I have visited, there was a certain buzz to it in the evenings that you only seem to get in the far east... it was certainly one of the least threatening cities I have ever been to, no worries walking around when it was dark (roughly 12 hours a day, going by the calculation above)...there is a good mix of different cultures, eastern, far eastern and European...having lived and worked abroad on several occasions I would jump at the chance to spend a few years in Singapore, if only for the reason highlighted above, that it is only a cheap flight from some of the most amazing parts of the World.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
One of my best friends moved out there to work as a pilot, in January. Pm me your email address and can pass it on to him if you wish..!

Also a brother of a friend runs a fish farm out there, so can get onto him as well.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
All I know is that chewing gum is banned in Singapore.(might have changed now?) You'd spend the night in a cell (well, hole in a wall) and a BIG fine.

What a nice place.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
From what I've read, it's exceptionally clean and well ordered. No chewing gum stains beneath your feet as it's banned; crime and anti-social behaviour are very low, although it's quite crowded. English is the official language. If you can stand the humidy and constant heat (it's almost on the Equator) and you have a good job there, then it sounds like a great place to live.

Singapore English is incomprehensible. And they think YOU are getting it wrong. The Indians are the only ones you will get any sense out of.

Sing Chinese people are great and very Pro Brit, but they are mental.

In answer to MoH's question, I would jump at the chance if I was you mate. Especially if you want to explore Asia. If you have kids and its a work thing plenty of Brits are very happy with their kids schooling there, if you don't though, it's even better.

Just don't expect too many left field Brighton style art events...its very Asian With Money mentality, shopping and eating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here