Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you do?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've been getting annoyed in my current job and decided to start looking for a new job.

I'm currently a CNC operator but the programmer before me is crap and always causing me issues. I've been telling them for the 20 months that I've been here what they're doing is wrong and nobody was listening.

I've been wanting to get into programming for ages now so decided to start applying for programmer roles in this line of work.

A week ago I was offered a new job at a firm across the road from where I am currently.

So will be going there to design, develop 3D cad models for flattening to be cut on their lasers.

A slightly higher wage and overtime @1.5 instead of my current @1.3. but less overtime available so no increase in money, just a bit more time at home.

So my ideal job basically.

The company over the road and current company are mutual customers of each other. ( I didn't know the new job would be over the road when I applied as through an agency and the interview was all a bit cloak and dagger due to the two companies relationship).

They were worried I was just using them to get a better offer from where I am currently and stated that they'd only offer the job officially once I'd handed my notice in.

I wanted it so handed in my notice. New company phoned current company to explain that they'd offered me a job to smooth things over.

Current company now panicking because I'm leaving and royally pissed off as I'm leaving for a "friend".

Current company now made a counter offer of increased pay (more than the new job) with more overtime available than the new job albeit at a slightly lower rate, and programming the lasers whilst supervising an operator that I'm currently training before I'm due to leave.

But I said I wasn't using new company to get a better offer from current company.

I am generally a man of my word and would have stuck to it but now I've just been offered my ideal role of programming the machines and supervising at the current company.

New company is a general sheet metal firm that has customers in several fields (semiconductor, oil & gas etc so varied work)

Current company does building cladding and makes it own stuff (they did the cladding for the Amex west stand). So mainly 3mm alum panels. So no orders then no work and the company has been struggling a little over the last year or so but have recently won a few big contracts so things are looking a bit better now.

I was going to reject current company offer and I said I'd give them a couple of days then today, the last day they've upped the money side so I don't have a lot of time.

The wife, my mum and some friends have said stay.....

Other friends have said the new company looks more stable and have a healthier order book....

Stay or go?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Go. None of the things they’ve done counter your reasons for looking to leave in the first place, and the new place is offering what you want from a development/long term perspective.

Make sure you leave on as good terms as possible, particularly given the relationships involved - explain your reasons etc and make it 100% clear if not already you weren’t aware of the conflict when you started the interview process.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Go. If they didn't listen to you before, they won't listen to you again.

Never stay for an increase in money after resigning. Good companies don't let it get to that state of affairs before they do something and at the end of the day, you are going to spend a lot of hours there.

Good luck (y)

This, you decided to leave for a reason.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
All of the above - presuming the additional money offer isn’t silly.

In the current climate I think I’d be tempted if we’re talking a 5 figure difference even though it’s very much the wrong reason to stay somewhere.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If you have confidence in your own ability then you will make the right choice, if not stick.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been getting annoyed in my current job and decided to start looking for a new job.

I'm currently a CNC operator but the programmer before me is crap and always causing me issues. I've been telling them for the 20 months that I've been here what they're doing is wrong and nobody was listening.

I've been wanting to get into programming for ages now so decided to start applying for programmer roles in this line of work.

A week ago I was offered a new job at a firm across the road from where I am currently.

So will be going there to design, develop 3D cad models for flattening to be cut on their lasers.

A slightly higher wage and overtime @1.5 instead of my current @1.3. but less overtime available so no increase in money, just a bit more time at home.

So my ideal job basically.

The company over the road and current company are mutual customers of each other. ( I didn't know the new job would be over the road when I applied as through an agency and the interview was all a bit cloak and dagger due to the two companies relationship).

They were worried I was just using them to get a better offer from where I am currently and stated that they'd only offer the job officially once I'd handed my notice in.

I wanted it so handed in my notice. New company phoned current company to explain that they'd offered me a job to smooth things over.

Current company now panicking because I'm leaving and royally pissed off as I'm leaving for a "friend".

Current company now made a counter offer of increased pay (more than the new job) with more overtime available than the new job albeit at a slightly lower rate, and programming the lasers whilst supervising an operator that I'm currently training before I'm due to leave.

But I said I wasn't using new company to get a better offer from current company.

I am generally a man of my word and would have stuck to it but now I've just been offered my ideal role of programming the machines and supervising at the current company.

New company is a general sheet metal firm that has customers in several fields (semiconductor, oil & gas etc so varied work)

Current company does building cladding and makes it own stuff (they did the cladding for the Amex west stand). So mainly 3mm alum panels. So no orders then no work and the company has been struggling a little over the last year or so but have recently won a few big contracts so things are looking a bit better now.

I was going to reject current company offer and I said I'd give them a couple of days then today, the last day they've upped the money side so I don't have a lot of time.

The wife, my mum and some friends have said stay.....

Other friends have said the new company looks more stable and have a healthier order book....

Stay or go?
Go, for all of the reasons highlighted.

I was going to suggest telling the new company that the old company tried to keep you by offering you more money (effectively asking for more money from the new place without actually saying it), but I wouldn't bother because it sort of goes against what you originally said.

A fresh start with potentially better opportunities is often the way to go...

Good luck :thumbsup:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I don't know if I worded it right in my original post but they're basically shunting the existing crap programmer sideways onto other things and giving me his job as part of a "company restructuring".

It's in writing too....

I was going to leave because I wanted to do what they've just offered me.

I believe they'll stick to their word in this. If not they're fighting hard to have me just leave at a later date.

I like this company, they're nice people and I don't work with any real bell cheeses (unless I am the bell cheese in this instance).

Due to the size of the machine I'm in my own building, I don't get hassled by management and have a good relationship with them.

The new company wanted me to start asap but I was adamant I wanted to give current company as long as possible to get someone trained up and competent so currently 2 weeks into a month notice period so I didn't leave current company in the crap....

as long as the machine is running I'm free to chill out and write posts like this on NSC, have a fag whenever (I know bad habit).

Its a case of is the grass always greener? Or better the devil you know?

An extra £50 a week on my basic would be handy in the current climate...

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Go. The Construction market is shit at the moment with constantly rising material and labour costs and companies buying work to stay afloat (albeit mostly briefly)

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Go. The Construction market is shit at the moment with constantly rising material and labour costs and companies buying work to stay afloat (albeit mostly briefly)

Go.
The other company saw the value of you, your current company is simply showing desperation.
This was my thinking when I took the offer and still is really, I've left other companies in the hope of finding something better before and got burned really badly, which is why I've flip flopped so f***ing much in the last 2 hours I'm beginning to get dizzy.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
This is also true but current company has been able to ride this storm when many others are failing although it's been rough but things are beginning to level out a bit.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Do what you feel is best for you and you only.

Companies, whilst they can be nice, are there to make money, not be your friend. You are an employee and they are an employer. They'd put their interests before yours and you should do the same. In this case it sounds like staying is the better option but if you'd be happier leaving and going across the road then do that. As long as you're clear and honest with all parties then you'll have a clean conscience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Everything you have said suggests you should go to the new company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here