Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What will you be watching on the 19th October?

What will you be watching on the 19th October?

• Albion

Votes: 74 84.1%
  • Parliament

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?

Votes: 9 10.2%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This belongs to The Other Thread, but since you raised it...

A written obligation of an MP is to always act in what he or she feels is the national interest. I have no problem with MPs who do that, be they ERG spartans, LibDem activists, Conservative rebels, Caroline Lucas or Mark Francois. I may disagree with some of them, but they are doing what they feel is right. Many of them, in voting as they have done, have been acting in exact opposition to their careers and personal interests.

The MPs who are self-serving are those who agree to something that they feel is against the national interest.

Don't be sucked into the 'Parliament v the people' narrative that Cummings wants to fight the next election on.

And in answer to the question, I will be walking the city streets. Our cause may be lost by then, but you have to stand by your beliefs.

The vast majority of individuals in the Commons are full blown pro the EU.

By my reckoning, on the 19th, nothing will change. We will be staying in the EU for the time being.

Am I missing something with that summary? What could possibly happen on that day other than that outcome?

People will tune in to watch contorted face MP’s ON BOTH SIDES slag each other off.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I will be marching with hundreds of thousands of others, campaigning for a People's Vote. Some things are more important than football.

Later, I will be at The Dome, where Kate Tempest is performing.

I doubt going on a crappy March is more important than football. Haven’t we already had a vote by the people or was that a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

A written obligation of an MP is to always act in what he or she feels is the national interest. I have no problem with MPs who do that, be they ERG spartans, LibDem activists, Conservative rebels, Caroline Lucas or Mark Francois. I may disagree with some of them, but they are doing what they feel is right. Many of them, in voting as they have done, have been acting in exact opposition to their careers and personal interests.

The MPs who are self-serving are those who agree to something that they feel is against the national interest.

Don't be sucked into the 'Parliament v the people' narrative that Cummings wants to fight the next election on.

And in answer to the question, I will be walking the city streets. Our cause may be lost by then, but you have to stand by your beliefs.

totally agree with this , we are destroying hundreds of years of Parliamentary Democracy (something that has separated us from a lot of other countries in the past) because some Tories want to earn(keep) more money for themselves and sold an argument about getting back government control (to parliament).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
totally agree with this , we are destroying hundreds of years of Parliamentary Democracy (something that has separated us from a lot of other countries in the past) because some Tories want to earn(keep) more money for themselves and sold an argument about getting back government control (to parliament).

If the Commons prevent Brexit, parliamentary sovereignty is supreme.

Why are you concerned if that’s the outcome?

Because it means the House of Commons, already unrepresentative of the people due to the first past the post system, could override the outcome of a binary referendum.
Anybody happy with that situation simply isn't a democrat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because it means the House of Commons, already unrepresentative of the people due to the first past the post system, could override the outcome of a binary referendum.
Anybody happy with that situation simply isn't a democrat.

I get that. You’ll have to wait until the next General Election I think to get a Commons you like. Unless Remain parties don’t post candidates en masse across the country, to shoe in a Remain MP, which would be a first if en masse, all the indications are that the Labour Party will face a terrible night.

I was responding to Remainers who are showing faux ongoing concern about Commons sovereignty, when the battle has already been won in the Courts. HMGovernment, the executive, lost. Full stop.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Trying to find a decent pub with grub near Witton Station then off to the match with a soggy bag of chips after being unsuccessful at the decent pub bit

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The vast majority of individuals in the Commons are full blown pro the EU.

By my reckoning, on the 19th, nothing will change. We will be staying in the EU for the time being.

Am I missing something with that summary? What could possibly happen on that day other than that outcome?

People will tune in to watch contorted face MP’s ON BOTH SIDES slag each other off.

You're right - most MPs backed Remain in the referendum (perhaps we should ask ourselves why) but have since voted in favour of one or another version of Brexit. It follows from this that the problem isn't so much the MPs themselves as the fact that there are several versions of the dreaded B for them to support. Your anger should really be directed at the slimy snake oil salesmen who pretended that there was only version - the have-your-cake-and-eat-it job flogged by Boris and the others.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I am not concerned with Parliament doing what it should have done in 2017 which was to stand by its ground. 75% of MPs supported Remain and they are generally better informed than most who voted.

The issue is that a lot of those who voted leave keep repeating that Parliament is stopping democracy when all the MPs are doing is trying to work in the nation's interest rather than the interests of the few. This whole sh*tstorm was started to benefit a bunch of nationalists and a bunch of rich people who want to keep more of their money. There are hidden in there a lot genuine concerns as well but most of these

Over the course of this debate I have asked for one of the leavers to give me 10 good reasons why we should leave. Most responses have been the people have voted , but no answers as to why they voted. One response was better as it identified that the individual felt that they did not like the Eu taking over our laws BUT could not point to any particular bad EU law. Clearly there is a lot of anger and frustration out there which has become anti EU because those who want to Leave for financial gain have convoluted all societies ills with us being in the EU.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I will be marching with hundreds of thousands of others, campaigning for a People's Vote. Some things are more important than football.

I will be marching too👍👍🇪🇺🇪🇺

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The people had a vote. You didn't like it. So now you want another go. If you get one it should be the same question as before apart from leave means immediate as from the result no further debate. If a deal has been agreed with EU (forget them in H of C) then that's it, if not then it's crash out. No more going on and on.

I didn't want it but accept it.

Anyway I'll be in London going to a show in the evening. Anyone in my way will get their flag pole shoved up their @@@@

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am not concerned with Parliament doing what it should have done in 2017 which was to stand by its ground. 75% of MPs supported Remain and they are generally better informed than most who voted.

The issue is that a lot of those who voted leave keep repeating that Parliament is stopping democracy when all the MPs are doing is trying to work in the nation's interest rather than the interests of the few. This whole sh*tstorm was started to benefit a bunch of nationalists and a bunch of rich people who want to keep more of their money. There are hidden in there a lot genuine concerns as well but most of these

Over the course of this debate I have asked for one of the leavers to give me 10 good reasons why we should leave. Most responses have been the people have voted , but no answers as to why they voted. One response was better as it identified that the individual felt that they did not like the Eu taking over our laws BUT could not point to any particular bad EU law. Clearly there is a lot of anger and frustration out there which has become anti EU because those who want to Leave for financial gain have convoluted all societies ills with us being in the EU.

I voted Remain, but I’m always willing to listen and respect the views of people who voted Brexit.

John Humphrys, now he can speak freely, was brilliant on Radio 5 this week. He, despite being personally an avid Remainer, said the senior people at the BBC wrongly spent the last 20 years deeming anyone in the UK who wanted to leave the EU a racist and weird. He said the BBC completely misjudged the groundswell of opinion throughout the UK - people were genuinely scared of noticeable and sudden immigration within their communities, of a fear of loss of jobs and reduced income.

An intelligent observation from a highly intelligent guy who’s seen it all.

None of immature and ill informed slurs against Brexiteers and Brexit politicians we see. The childish debate cuts both ways, Remainers don’t hold the moral high ground of only their opinion counts. Politicians blocking Brexit have not all acted wonderfully in the national interest, with no petty politicking, or scheming, no nasty insults.

The behaviour from both sides has been poor throughout.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The people had a vote. You didn't like it. So now you want another go. If you get one it should be the same question as before apart from leave means immediate as from the result no further debate. If a deal has been agreed with EU (forget them in H of C) then that's it, if not then it's crash out. No more going on and on.

I didn't want it but accept it.

Anyway I'll be in London going to a show in the evening. Anyone in my way will get their flag pole shoved up their @@@@

:tosser::yawn:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

I dunno, I think we could get a draw there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here