Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were the "house names" in your school?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...and what was that all about?

At Durrington First we had names of Scottish islands.

Jura, Barra, Isla ...and another one. (we had a Jock headmaster called Cable-Robbie who was quite mad and very Scottish in a Sean Connery kind of way)

At Durrington Middle we were named after Sussex houses

Parham, Petworth, Goodwood...and another one :dunce:

At Durrington High we just had X, Y and Z. How dull was that?

(probably about as dull as this thread)

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
First and middle schools were Old english Knights or things i was in Templars

High school was counties and i was in Devon as there was no Sussex in the eight choices??

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
christ thats a brain teaser, I was at Glebe Middle School and we had coloured shields. I was in BLUE and we won everything, cant remember if we had names though?! someone on here must know!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At primary school we had "Pheasant", "Heron", "Kingfisher" and "Swan"

Secondary school our class names were the year we were in and the initials of our form tutor. Mine went through 7GR, 8GR, 9JG, 10DT, 10MST/D and 11MST/D.

We got through a fair few tutors over the years. The first had a nervous breakdown, the second left when his wife had a baby, the third left and went back to Zambia (where he came from).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hodgkin
Monnington
Young
Winchester
Canterbury
York

I was in Monnington and we won every sports trophy on offer.

Edit: Out of curiosity I just checked my old school website, and there are only 4 houses now, Canterbury, Durham, Winchester & York. I suppose it was 22 years since I left though.

Monnington House RIP :down:

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
christ thats a brain teaser, I was at Glebe Middle School and we had coloured shields. I was in BLUE and we won everything, cant remember if we had names though?! someone on here must know!

Ditto

Red - Arundel
Yellow - Bramber
Green - Hastings
Blue - Lewes

Back in the sixties, the residential blocks on the Sussex University were all named after other new universities ... Essex House, Kent House, York House and Lancaster House.

When they decided to build a new one, there was a petition raised to call it Aston Villa.

Dandyman

In London village.
Death, War, Famine and Pestilence.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Junior School were all UK patron Saints. I was in St Patricks.

Senior school (Brighton College) I was in Chichester. It was a boys-only boarding house then - now I think it is a mixed day house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here