Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What waas your best ever season?

FOR ME IT WAS 76/77 SEASON! THOSE CLASSIC FA CUP GAMES AGAINST PALACE ENDING AT STAMFORD BRIDGE! Then the league cup beating top clubs ipswich and west brom drawing at home to the mighty derby in front of over 33,000 goldstone fans,plus fantastic league form and at the right age to enjoy it! peter ward! bumper crowds and punk rock! what a time! and starting work at amex £105 a month! let the good times roll!:moo:

also trip to luxemburg to hopefuly watch wardy play for england! 1 week on the coach belgium beer festival and match ticket £40 Great coach avatar pic says it all!:moo:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
That was the 77/78 season, which was also my favorite season for the same reasons..

77/78 for me too. My first Albion game at Goldstone against Sunderland and my dad made us leave five mins before the end when we were one-nil down. Consequently I only heard the crowd roars as Eric Potts supersub slotted home two goals in injury time to give us a 2-1 win. I was hooked and never forgave my Dad! Then the last games of the season - 33k people rammed into the Goldstone for several weeks on the trot - only to be denied by Spurs and the Southampton tossers contriving a 0-0 draw to keep us down. Peter Ward in his pomp too. Happy days.:albion2:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
76/77 for me as well.

He shot, he scored.....

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Wow there are some dinosaurs on here :lolol:

As I was born in '78 I was far too young to remember the days of division one and I JUST about remember the cup final! Throughout school and beyond we didnt do much worth writing about, the play off against notts county aside, so my personal favourite season was the one when we won league 1 after winning league two and got promoted to the championship! This season mind you is fast turning into the best ever!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Another old codger for 76/77. Wardy was electric and Nobby was leading us from the front.

WBA away.Top class opposition in midweek spanked, was unreal. 0-2
Walsall home. Seven second half goals.
York home . Seven goals and a Wardy masterclass.
Swindon home 4-0 With Wardy beating about 5 defenders in the box before slotting home.
Ipswich home 2-1 Top division team despatched.
Promotion night against Wednesday.
Could go on and on.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Right, well I'm not THAT old, so I'll kick-off with 1992-93. This wouldn't be most people's, but it was the first season I stood on the North Stand, I had a perfect 8 wins out of 8 home league games that season, saw a fantastic League Cup draw against Man U (David Beckham's first ever game), a great 1-0 win over Pompey in the 3rd round of the Cup and capped it off with my first ever away game at Old Trafford in the 4th round in January, before heading off to Africa on my gap year.

We'd just been relegated into the old Div 2 (the even older Div 3), and it was the last full season under Barry Lloyd who most people had wanted out by then. We started the season with the on loan strikeforce of Paul Moulden and Steve Cotterill and got off to a flyer, before replacing them with Andy Kennedy who we thought was great and Kurt Nogan who we thought was rubbish - those opinions changed after a couple of games, and Kurt is my all time favourite player. No no, No no no no, No no no no NO-GAN!

We ended up 9th, but it was the last decent season we had until Withdean on the pitch. Off it, our first winding-up petition was heard in November 2002, which led to the sale of Mark Beeney in April, and the end of any promotion hopes. Archer and Stanley took over the next season; Bellotti was appointed and the rest is history....

Aside from that, and with a nod to 96-97, the current season is by far my favourite... 5 games attended, 5 wins - and what football!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am all for a bit of nostalgia but last season was the best football I have EVER seen us play and I am 34 years old.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
FOR ME IT WAS 76/77 SEASON! THOSE CLASSIC FA CUP GAMES AGAINST PALACE ENDING AT STAMFORD BRIDGE! Then the league cup beating top clubs ipswich and west brom drawing at home to the mighty derby in front of over 33,000 goldstone fans,plus fantastic league form and at the right age to enjoy it! peter ward! bumper crowds and punk rock! what a time! and starting work at amex £105 a month! let the good times roll!:moo:

I'm in your shadow rev. Lunch vouchers at 25p per day!

I'm sure the Liverpool game will bring back many happy memories of Anfield, a police horse, and a traffic cone doubling as a megaphone!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am all for a bit of nostalgia but last season was the best football I have EVER seen us play and I am 34 years old.

If you went to Charlton or P`boro then that would be hard to disagree with.

This mob are as good as the 76/77 side I think but no Ward or Horton and that would make the difference IMO if you were comparing (which we`re not)
If we had those 2 in this side we would be on our way to the Prem without doubt.

Bridcutt protecting Horton`s forward runs ? Awl I`m getting a semi.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

So wish i was there RotR-still for me it falls into 4 categories

Sheer hysterical madness & virginal observations/experience-this will be 1987/88

So close and yet so far-1990/91

The great escape-1996/97

&

Pure football 2010/11

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I's ever so slightly give it to 71/72, my 1st promotion.

This is only just ahead of 76/77, which was folowed by 2 more great seasons.

Hat's off to the person who went for the protest season(s). It's another age now but we really trailblazed away and united in the fight to save our club and just look where we are now.

Last season was great, this one is already looking better. I've always felt sorry for the youngsters who missed out on our 'Glory Years' but hey, we have another golden age now so enjoy, we deserve it!

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I had always said 2004/05 as was lucky enough to attend every game, visting well know grounds for the first time and staying up on the last day of the season but i'm slowly starting to edge towards the previous season as thats when I got the buzz. Started traveling more to away games and meeting new friends along the way. Also the drama of the play-offs and a cracking day in Cardiff at the end of it.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Have to agree 1976/77.

Wardy at his best

That League Cup run

Scoring 7 twice

So many good memories!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why did I like the 71-72 season?

It started with gates around the 8,000 mark and steadily got better until the crowd was packed out for the Rochdale match. So I have 34,000+ people who agreed with me at the time.

But if crowds tell the story , it was Division 2 in the seventies:

ATTENDANCES.jpg

I liked the 1983 season as well.

The first season in the top flight was great. From then on the lower divisions were never the same again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here