Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What realistically is now our catchment area?

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
We seem to be told everyone west of Arundel now supports Pompey, and the chavs of Crawley support Palarse ( a 19 year old bloke I know, born and bred in Portslade, goes to work in Brighton wearing their gear).
Now I hear the headmistress of Wivelsfield School, just a couple of miles north of Burgess Hill, has had a letter from Charlton suggesting they, the club, lay on transport for the pupils there to go to the Valley for matches.!! Luckily she is an Albion supporter and will have none of it.
When I started supporting Albion at the Goldstone nearly all of Sussex was represented in the crowd.Where are all the Falmer crowd coming from especially as Brighton & Hove has a very mobile population.

1066gull

1066 countryside?

Being honest, if Eastbourne break it in the Conference in the next 3 years, I think fans all over Sussex will flock to them.

I think Borough are our biggest threat as there a neighbour 20-30 minutes away!:love:

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I cant really see Eastbourne threatening for a good number of years. They have had 10 years already and very little movement. If anyone, it would be Crawley should they get their act together

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think Lewes will get there before Eastbourne.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree with Crawley but even that is some way off before they get anywhere near catching us unless of course the powers that be do not provide the funds for strenthening in January then the slide could start very soon.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think our fanbase has been damaged badly by Belotti/Archer, the years spent in the bottom division, playing at Gillingham and Withdean....

But when we move to Falmer we will be more attractive again, especially if we maintain Championship football. Over time our catchment area will grow again.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Silent Bob said:
I think our fanbase has been damaged badly by Belotti/Archer, the years spent in the bottom division, playing at Gillingham and Withdean....

But when we move to Falmer we will be more attractive again, especially if we maintain Championship football. Over time our catchment area will grow again.

Plus the old chestnut' I cant just get up in the morning and decide to go to football as I did at The Goldstone'.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Plus the old chestnut' I cant just get up in the morning and decide to go to football as I did at The Goldstone'.
Exactly. Also the fact that people seem to think that tickets are nigh on impossible to get. I've spoken to so many people who say they would go if they could get tickets, but usually they don't sell out 'til the Saturday if they sell out at all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You could probably count the complete sell out at Withdeanj on 1 hand but having said that there are always going to be a number of season ticket holders seats empty for various reasons. illness, work, holidays etc.

I think that I am right but we didnt have 1 complete sell out at The Goldstone for any game whilst we were in the old Div 1.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
westdeneite said:
We seem to be told everyone west of Arundel now supports Pompey, and the chavs of Crawley support Palarse ( a 19 year old bloke I know, born and bred in Portslade, goes to work in Brighton wearing their gear).
Now I hear the headmistress of Wivelsfield School, just a couple of miles north of Burgess Hill, has had a letter from Charlton suggesting they, the club, lay on transport for the pupils there to go to the Valley for matches.!! Luckily she is an Albion supporter and will have none of it.
When I started supporting Albion at the Goldstone nearly all of Sussex was represented in the crowd.Where are all the Falmer crowd coming from especially as Brighton & Hove has a very mobile population.

Aparantly schools from as far away as Lands end and John o'Groats have had letters from Charlton begging their students to go, and they still cant sell out :lolol:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
BensGrandad said:
You could probably count the complete sell out at Withdeanj on 1 hand but having said that there are always going to be a number of season ticket holders seats empty for various reasons. illness, work, holidays etc.

I think that I am right but we didnt have 1 complete sell out at The Goldstone for any game whilst we were in the old Div 1.
We've sold out the Withdean loads of times. Obviously every seat is never gonna be full.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the club has to keep so many tickets back for each game so a complete sell out is probably never met.

When I was on Surrey FA we hada pass which allowed us into any game in the county including Palace who we had to just phone and they provided a ticket so Brighton must keep some back for similar eventualities.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
probably, ( if we're lucky)

Haywards Heath in the North, Worthing in the West to eastbourne in the East.

Although Eastbourne might be stretching it. :( :(

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People get out of the habit of going to football. It really doesn't take long for people to get into the mentality that a non-football attending weekend is two days long.

It takes time to get back into the habit - but people will.

The conurbation that stretches from Saltdean in the east to Worthing in the west has a population of 405,012 people. I think this is an area we could reasonably assume that we shouldn't have any rivals for our support. If you put in Arun, Lewes, EastBourne and MidSussex the population goes well above half a million. We have massive potential for big support, but it can it be tapped?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
westdeneite said:

She is a TIPPLE. :thumbsup:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
westdeneite said:
.....the chavs of Crawley support Palarse ......When I started supporting Albion at the Goldstone nearly all of Sussex was represented in the crowd.

Don't tar us all with the same Palace brush....I've lived in Crawley since 1977 and actively supported Brighton since 1979...and I agree that in those days the Goldstone crowd did indeed represent all of Sussex...and hopefully will do so again at Falmer.

Anyway, from the shirts you see on a Saturday around here it seems to me that everyone in Crawley supports Chelsea.

:albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here