Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the most economical and green way to heat my office during the day?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay, I currently have a crappy electric radiator which I am sure is costing me a fortune. I do not want to fire up the house's radiators just for one room. So, what is the best product I can purchase which is cheap to run and environmentally friendly and will keep me warm in during the day? My home office is 3.2m x 2.9m.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
snuggie-man.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
gas.

actually, technically a wood burning stove is probably more environmentally sound on CO2, but not so much on other exhaust gases. possibly not conducive to an office either (chimney?)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What about that new Dyson thing?

If you have gas CH then it would be more economical to run it with only the office radiator turned on, because electricity is roughly 3 times the cost for the amount of energy received. It may be worth having a small gas fire fitted if you work full-time at home. When you make a tea or coffee then boil the kettle in the study so that you benefit from the heat when the kettle is cooling. If you have a hot mid-day meal you could cook it in a miniature electric oven or microwave in the study. Oh, and eat it in the study too, if you are alone. You'll be surprised what a difference this makes to the room temperature.
Don't be tempted by 'low energy' heaters such as BoF suggests. As far as convector heaters or electric bar fires are concerned, if they don't have fans or glowing coal effects then they are all 100% efficient, so 'low energy' means 'low heat output'.

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Have you tried rubbing two boy scouts together?

5 years free heating, food and drink and all the bum sex you might wish for

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just get Hove Born& Bred in to stand in the corner,all the hot air anyone would need.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You could consider fitting thermostatic radiator valves to the radiators, in the morning, turn all those down while keeping your office one up. The boiler would then only fire up when the thermostatic valve in your office room drops below a certain temperature. Alternatively, you can get these as programmable valves for not a lot of money:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/programmable-trvs/cat831024

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Come back fish puns, all is forgiven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here