Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is in your view the greatest ever goal?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
My Personal favourite has to be the Brazilian team of (& I may be wrong) 1970 when they pass the ball so casually around every single player and then hitting the net! Absolute quality!

the van basten goal and Maradona against england a close 2nd!

:clap2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BurberrySkinnedMonster said:
Garry Nelson's goal at Brentford in the FA cup!!!!!!!!

Seconded. He beat at least 71 defenders en route.

Seriously, Jairzinho's goal in the 1970 final (Brazil's last goal in the final until Ronaldo followed up Oliver Kahn's balls up in Yokohama) has absolutely everything.

Sorry to be a pedant, but Maradona's goal was actually a Terry Fenwick own goal. :D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with you on the Brazilian 1970 goal and Van Basten's.

For England it has to be Gazza against the Scots in 96.

For the Albion either Zamora's goal against Halifax, a volley from a tight angle of a high spinning ball or a goal Frankie Worthington scored against Wimbledon in 1985 where he got the winner from 35 yards in off the underside of the bar. Remember it well cos it was the first game I went to without adult supervision.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
kanu (vs middlesboro) back heel
carlos (vs france) free-kick

and (shudder)
beckham(vs wimbledon) 50 yarder

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Le Tissier has scored a lot of crackers in his day, and I remember Chris Marsden scoring a goal and a half for Southampton against Ipswich in the 2001/02 season. Zola also scored a brilliant goal against Norwich that same season in the FA Cup, it came from a corner. I don't know if anyone remembers those two goals, they were only a couple of seasons ago.

I also like Roberto Baggio's goal against Czechoslovakia in the 1990 World Cup, and Michael Owen vs. Argentina at France '98.

Haven't seen many goals from Brazil 1970, I'm sure they scored plenty of beauties.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Trevor Sinclair overhead kick into the top corner from the edge of the box for QPR a few years ago.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
The Trevor Sinclair overhead kick into the top corner from the edge of the box for QPR a few years ago.

My QPR supporting mate always talks about that goal, mainly that the cheers started a couple of seconds after the ball hit the net becuase no-one could quite believe the ball had gone in in such style. Tremendous goal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
Seriously, Jairzinho's goal in the 1970 final (Brazil's last goal in the final until Ronaldo followed up Oliver Kahn's balls up in Yokohama) has absolutely everything.

Wasn't the last goal scored by Carlos Alberto? That's the one that people have been talking about - although I believe that Jairzinho did score in the final.

The Maradona one for me, marvellous run. I also remember seeing a George Weah goal when he ran from his own penalty area. Can't remember who against but he was playing for Milan.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Robbie at Hereford to keepm us in the league, closely followed by Dean Wilkins last minute free kick to lead us to promotion.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
fleet said:
closely followed by Dean Wilkins last minute free kick to lead us to promotion.

errr, or not.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
fleet said:
Robbie at Hereford to keepm us in the league, closely followed by Dean Wilkins last minute free kick to lead us to promotion.

Sadly Wendy's 90th minute wonder didn't lead us to promotion, merely to the play-offs...

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Sorry but this beauty of a goal far out weighs anything I have ever seen....

pics_Pele.jpg

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
EURO 96

England versus Scotland .......

Gascoigne comin tothe end of his career gets the ball and then.....

:ohmy: :ohmy:

WHAT A GOAL!!!

_955585_gazzagoalwembley300.jpg

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The best Albion goal I saw live was Willie Irvine's against Aston Villa (1972?). It was a great team goal, with the ball travelling (via several players) from well inside our half, through midfield and along the right wing - where Irvine cut inside and hit it from about 25 yards.

I also remember Allan Duffy scoring from even further out on his debut - although that was just about all he ever did, as Brighton's social scene got the better of him.

I didn't see Gary Nelson's goal at Brentford, but everyone says how good it was - so it must be a contender.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gwylan said:
Wasn't the last goal scored by Carlos Alberto? That's the one that people have been talking about - although I believe that Jairzinho did score in the final.

I think everyone is talking about the Alberto goal. Brazil knock the ball about for ages and it comes to Pele on the edge of the box. He stops the balls and then rolls it out to his right. Into shot steams Alberto who cracks the ball with the outside of his right foot. The ball rockets very low, possibly right along the ground, into the far corner.

The commentary included the phrase "Sheer delightful football." And it was...

Video of the goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here