Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is 3rd Divison football actually worth?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Forget Withdean, forget Falmer, forget Travel Vouchers and all that baggage. Forget average players demanding and being paid stupid money.

What do you believe represents true value for 90 minutes of 3rd division football? What is it actually worth?

I would say about £7 sounds right. £5 for fourth division, a tenner for Championship and £15 - £20 for Premier League.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What I think It should be? £10.
£15 Div 1, £20 Prem.

What it's worth relative to current prices? £15.

f*** knows where the club get £25. It's disgusting, and an insult to supporters.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
£15 for a third division match seems fair to me.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think comparing the entertainment fare on offer with other forms is reasonable, and you could make a good case that a trip to the football equates to a visit to the cinema. If you went down that route then Bry's valuation would be about right.

To me, it is worth a bit more - in the range of £10-£13. Nowhere near £25 though, which is one reason why the only three times I've seen the Albion this season have been away despite having a season ticket in the past.

It's right across the board though. Where I live in Surrey, non-league teams (not even Conference) are charging £8.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Football is SO overpriced. I can't see how it will ever change when wages are so high.

Someone like Bradley Wright-Phillips, who is a pretty run of the mill player earns twice as much as our Prime Minister and that is discounting various bonuses and proceeds of his thieving activities.

I went to see Hastings just after Christmas and think I paid £12 to get in. About £8 too much.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I have had two glasses of wine already and have no idea what the feck you are on about Bry! Is this an exam questions where i have to show working out?

90mins of my time = £1.92 (now that is depressing!)
90mins of TV licence (ish) = 0.0162p

1.92-0.0162p = £1.903 they should give me to watch them.

Did i pass? where has that bottle gone?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would go for £15-18 depending on where you sit or stand....take off maybe £3 for the Second division and add £3-5 for the Championship. Hard to say what the Premiership should really charge...I reckon £25-30 would be fair.

Football is far too expensive as a spectator sport in this country, go to places like Germany and it is much cheaper, the auf Schalke arena sells out for every game and some people pay little more than a tenner to get in. The Premiership teams use the argument that they have to pay well to get the best players, therefore the fans get the best entertainment, I bet many players won't turn down contracts for a fraction of the wages they are paying. It is hard to admit it, but most of the really competitive and entertaining (often for the wrong reasons) games I have seen have been way lower than the top couple of divisions.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Bromley FC.

Adults: £10
Senior Citizens: £5
Under 16s: £5
Students (with valid ID): £5
Under 5s: Free

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
At the cinema, you're pretty much guaranteed a happy ending.

I reckon £20 if we win. £5 if we lose.

A kind of no win/no fee system.

Withdean would be the cheapest ground in the Country!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
What do you believe represents true value for 90 minutes of 3rd division football? What is it actually worth?

I would say about £7 sounds right.

Wasn't it about £7 to get in during the last season at the Goldstone? Much as it's a rip off to watch us play at Withdean, prices simply aren't going to remain static for 13/14 years.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
€15-18 gets you equivalent to L1 / low championship level (LOI Premier) and €7-12 for L2 level (LOI D1) here.

You usually pay the price of the programme (if there is one!) in to Conference level (LOI "A")... although admittedly the "A" champ ranges from Conference level down to a level where my local pub team could generally beat them, while still out drinking the night before!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Maybe my initial figures were a bit low...

How about:

Non league £5
League Two £10
League One £15
Championship £20
Premier League £25

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe my initial figures were a bit low...

How about:

Non league £5
League Two £10
League One £15
Championship £20
Premier League £25

Not many non-league teams could survive for very long on gates of a couple of hundred punters paying £5 a game Bry

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Not many non-league teams could survive for very long on gates of a couple of hundred punters paying £5 a game Bry

But does paying more than that represent value for non-league football? I used to pay £3 to watch Haywards Heath and, frankly, the only thing that made it worth paying to get in was the dirt cheap bar prices and the comedy value of the football on display.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Football is SO overpriced. I can't see how it will ever change when wages are so high.

Someone like Bradley Wright-Phillips, who is a pretty run of the mill player earns twice as much as our Prime Minister and that is discounting various bonuses and proceeds of his thieving activities.

I went to see Hastings just after Christmas and think I paid £12 to get in. About £8 too much.

Spot on! :thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
As we are slowly but surely starting to see, money is the demise of the game, and until someone puts a stop to it, things will only get worse.

I do not and will not get involved in the rights and wrongs of the likes of portsmouth and Palace etc etc............but, in my opinion, it is the start of the wonderful game going the wrong way.

I have to admit, I don't have the answer, but as someone stated, when you have a player like SWP on the money he is on (and pretty much every other player in the premiership) there is, eventually only one way it will go..........If anyone really thinks that all these foriegn buyers are coming in for the love of the game.........think on, they want to make money....and a quick buck at that.........and none of them will care a flying F**K about the football teams or there supporters........end of rant...........( a rant that i might add that i feel very strongly about....only for the love of the game though)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here