Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What have we got to do to be on South Today before Southampton?

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Probably be much better when the digital switchover happens next March because the BBC are changing the Brighton transmitters to the South East region. This will mean we should only be up against Charlton, Crawley and Gillingham each week and no more Portsmouth or Southampton to worry about.

Problem is a lot of people in Brighton & Hove, like me, have to have their aerials pointed at the Rowridge transmitter on the Isle of Wight - I cant see that changing to the South East programme

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
But isn't it perverse that a city full of media people has to suffer such appalling local TV? Is there another city of comparable size in the UK that is so poorly served? I'd rather have TV from London, as I feel we have much more in common with our northern suburb than with Andover, Wimborne, Weymouth, Maidstone or Tunbridge.

Don't know about the population sizes but Cheltenham and Gloucester, probably comparable with Brighton, are just as badly served by local TV. Depending on where you live it is either Birmingham or Bristol based tv stations, neither of which say much about our area, to be fair I couldn't really give a toss about what is going on in either of those two cities.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In boxing, wrestling, music, etc. the main event goes on last. I prefer to think of the football reports as another example. Southampton and Portsmouth are our warm up act. They leave us til last to keep the viewers hooked on to the show.

Outstanding. That's the way I'm going to look at it from now on.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
We're usually on first on BBC South East though I don't think they like it that Charlton aren't in the Championship.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over in East of county we were behind Crawley and Charlton. I suppose we should be grateful we were ahead of Gillingham. Studios based in Maidstone I think.

I get this as well.

in recent years, they always mentioned Gillingham and the other "local?" side Charlton first. Now that we are the top side, they build up from the lowest division first, so that their beloved Gills STILL get mentioned first. (They never did that before - no other channel starts at the lowest level) Watched it today, the only bit covering us was Barnesy poking the goal in! (They interviewed the Gills manager because they didn''t win!)

In this digital age we need channels to cover sport in Sussex!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Nope, I've recently moved from sky to virgin and I can't find south east regional stuff anywhere. Or babestation for that matter.....

Ah yes I should have said from my days of Virgin cable, you won't get the regional stations.

D

Deleted member 2719

Probably be much better when the digital switchover happens next March because the BBC are changing the Brighton transmitters to the South East region. This will mean we should only be up against Charlton, Crawley and Gillingham each week and no more Portsmouth or Southampton to worry about.

Does that mean we won't be getting any BHA coverage in the west of the county.???

Hope not don't won't my kids being brainwashed with Pompey and Saints.

Move over here, or use your Sky channels, to watch SE! They never mention scc, but then you'll worry about getting on before Gillingham or Charlton. However, our current stunning performances seem to have cracked that problem at the moment.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Problem is a lot of people in Brighton & Hove, like me, have to have their aerials pointed at the Rowridge transmitter on the Isle of Wight - I cant see that changing to the South East programme

Our freeview aireal is pointed at the Brighton Whitehawk Hill mast. Will we be getting BBC local South East from next March?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
BBC South is based in Southampton .

Who do expect them to cover???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I only watch it for Raham- the weather girl. She is Fit!!!!

This with chocolate on top!

She is absolutely fabulous....although to be honest Jo Kent does it for me!!! She has a terrific pair of jubblies

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
This with chocolate on top!

She is absolutely fabulous....although to be honest Jo Kent does it for me!!! She has a terrific pair of jubblies

And Jo Kent is an Albion supporter:

"Jo lives in Norwich, and is a supporter of the Brighton and Hove Albion FC (her loyalties have been them ever since she produced a series of reports about them whilst working for BBC Southern Counties Radio)."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/lookeast/biog_jo_kent.shtml

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
About time BBC rationalised their local TV coverage and saved a bit of money. Close down Southamption, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells offices and relocate to ........................ BRIGHTON and HOVE. Save themselves millions and make us all very happy.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
BBC South is based in Southampton .

Who do expect them to cover???

Their office is based in only the 4th largest conurbation of their region, so they should cover sports/news for the other 3 at least as much:

Havant-Fareham-Waterlooville-Gosport-Portsmouth (442,000)
Bournemouth-Christchurch-Poole (346,000)
Brighton-Hove-Southwick-Shoreham (289,000)
Southampton (234,000)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here