Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what do you think eh? how should a sporting crowd spend a minute honouring the dead?

Today we are having a minutes....

• Silence

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Applause

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Who Cares?

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Do you prefer the silence, the cheering/applause or are you in the "get on with the sporting event" type of person?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
circumstances but think minutes silence is the best option but minutes applause was really good for Allen Ball

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I think the silence but for me it's lost a lot of its meaning from when I was a kid. It seems like sporting events are hijacked to publicise any sad public event now rather than honouring the death of a sporting hero.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
A minute's applause sounds okay but you start to tire before you reach the minute. At the Liverpool game the ref gave a period of applause which was more like 30 seconds.

A minute's silence can be hijacked by one individual although it I still think that silence is the best option.

If it's a sportsman then maybe applause is the best option. If it's for anyone else (child, princess, statesman) then silence is best.

Oh I dunno!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think the silence but for me it's lost a lot of its meaning from when I was a kid. It seems like sporting events are hijacked to publicise any sad public event now rather then honouring the death or a sporting hero.

Totally agree. A minutes silence should only be held for someone directly involved with the club, or a genuine footballing legend. Remember all that fuss about whether or not a silence should be held for the Pope? There should have been no discussion, a simple no.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think a good rule of thumb should be. Someone dieing naturally after a long life contributing to football - minutes applause

Someone dieing tragically or being murdured - minutes silence

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Applause is good, but make it relevant.

Anyone remember the poor bloke who was beheaded in Iraq that everyone gave a minute for? It was a shame, in fact a tragedy, but worth a minute at every sporting ground? No. More media-driven hyped up shite.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think a good rule of thumb should be. Someone dying naturally after a long life contributing to football - minute's applause

Someone dying tragically or being murdered - minute's silence
sounds about right - but better not to do it all in most cases...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Applause is better if only for the not so good reason that it won't encourage some ignorant git to shout during the silence.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I think a good rule of thumb should be. Someone dieing naturally after a long life contributing to football - minutes applause

Someone dieing tragically or being murdured - minutes silence

I agree with that although the family's wishes should be taken into account. Tomorrow we will have a minute's applause for Ray Jones as this is what his family has requested.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
sporting genius = minutes applause
war dead /tragic loss = minutes silence

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Been away for a couple of days....are we really having a minutes applause for Rhys Jones...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here