Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did Harty say that wound everyone up last night?

just_bhafc

Oct 14, 2003
Shoreham Beach
I only managed to catch the end of Harty's phone in on SCR last night as I had to walk miles to get back to my car! I got the impression that he'd suggested something that wound alot of people up - what was it?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
He mentioned a hypothetical question:- If Bill Archer offered us 48 Million to build falmer witht eh condition that it is named the Bill archer stadium, should we take his money?

just_bhafc

Oct 14, 2003
Shoreham Beach
tinx said:
He mentioned a hypothetical question:- If Bill Archer offered us 48 Million to build falmer witht eh condition that it is named the Bill archer stadium, should we take his money?

Cheers Tinx - makes sense now.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
i take it the reaction wasn't positive?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brixtaan said:
i take it the reaction wasn't positive?

Mainly not positive but some advocating so what £48 Million builds a stadium who cares what it is called.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The reason people got wound up was because a couple of them either didn't hear that it was a hypothetical question, or didn't understand the word "hypothetical" (even after Harty had explained it a couple of times to one bloke, he was still kicking off about "we-should-tell-Archer-to-stick-his-money" type stuff). I thought Harty had the patience of a saint - I think I'd have lost it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lots of new grounds are sposored. I thought the full name of Southampton's ground is The Friends Provident Saint Mary's Stadium, but no-one ever calls it that. It could therfore be called the Archer Falmer Stadium, and just drop the Archer bit.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
80's Seagull said:
Archer Falmer Stadium, and just drop the Archer bit.

We can't have the 'F' word used!!! no way,it's become a swearword!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
It's an interesting question because £48million is a shitload of money.

Personally I think we should tell him (hypothetically of course) to shove his money up his arse.

If we took it, everything we have done down the years, like Fans United, collecting for other clubs, supporting AFC Wimbledon etc. etc. would just be gross hypocrisy.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sponsorship names are a bit irrelevant anyway as who ever uses it?

Do you call it the Cellnet Riverside, or the Riverside?
We could take his money - ensuring that the legal documents are in place that it is a 'gift' and bestows no powers or legal title - and then we'd all just call it Falmer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
hiney said:

If we took it, everything we have done down the years, like Fans United, collecting for other clubs, supporting AFC Wimbledon etc. etc. would just be gross hypocrisy.

Only hypothetical hypocrisy surely.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It was a stupid bloody question, hypothetical or not. Absolutely pointless. Bill Archer is not the only person or organisation with that sort of money available to invest. I'd rather they called it the Kentucky Fried Chicken Stadium. Given Archer's track record with football clubs, he shouldnt be let near one again, hypothetically or not, as he would be highly likely to re-offend.....

:angry: :censored: :angry:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Smart Mart said:
I'd rather they called it the Kentucky Fried Chicken Stadium.

Would that mean free bargain buckets for Butters and Mayo as part of the deal

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Take the money! Take the money! It can be called the Tampax Anasol Stadium for all I care - just build it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The Village People DISCO Stadium? Or would byf not like that?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Bellotti Bowl: so we never forget....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd take the money but i didn't tyhink we would be allowed to call it the F:censored: ng di:censored: ed tw :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: Falmer stadium

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
the fucker left us SKINT staduim doesn't have a ring to it !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Would we call it Falmer though?

The new Huddersfield stadium is within 100 yards of the old Leeds Road stadium.

It was decided to call it the McAlpine stadium after the builder and that is what every local calls it.
Even for pop concerts etc people talk about going to the McAlpine.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I do think it was asking for trouble though for Harty to suggest something even hypothetically - basically baiting...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here