Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What constitutes Smart/Casual?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have a job tomorrow that requires smart/casual dress. I normally dress quite scruffy or proper smart when required. Do jeans and a fitted shirt count or something else entirely - any help out there?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Decent clean non faded properly fitting jeans ( not ones with arse hanging down to the knees) are fine imo, in a continental way, with jacket, shirt and shoes (not trainers)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cheers, so no jeans, that's good. Any suggestions though? It's for an acting job so don't have to actually be something I would normally wear.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers, so no jeans, that's good. Any suggestions though? It's for an acting job so don't have to actually be something I would normally wear.

Does it really matter for an acting job, assume they'll be providing clothes if you get the job so why would they care what you wear for an interview?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Does it really matter for an acting job, assume they'll be providing clothes if you get the job so why would they care what you wear for an interview?

I know what you mean but no, I have a small part in Midsomer Murders, not big enough for them to provide the entire wardrobe. when they film in other areas they expect the local actors to provide their own clothes so they don't cart around another truck full of clothes. One day I may be important enough to get a wardrobe provided but not this time!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Smart jeans if you wish, otherwise suit type trousers. Smart shirt with a collar, no tie.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I, I have a small part in Midsomer Murders, not big !

Oxfam clothes would be my suggestion, sure to find something a bit John Nettles style there :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oxfam clothes would be my suggestion, sure to find something a bit John Nettles style there :lolol:

Ha! Maybe you are right. It's little more than a walk on part but want to get it right if you know what I mean - Oxfam it is!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Definitely no jeans. Smart shirt tucked in and perhaps a jacket.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I know what you mean but no, I have a small part in Midsomer Murders...

Great stuff. I have watched a bit of filming of that. I used to watch a bit of Morse filming when I lived in Oxford, fascinating stuff, 30 minutes worth of filming for footage that lasted a mere 30 seconds.

Do you have a good agent? My father is goood friends with one based in Sussex if you are ever looking to change. He seems to be popular (The agent, not my father. Although my father is very popular).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
if its a acting job i would go in a toga no pants and have a jar of vaseline handy. Didnt seem to harm errol flynns career

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

No jeans. .

That's what smart/casual means.

Only in Britain, quality/designer jeans are quite acceptable in most of Europe as smart/casual.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Great stuff. I have watched a bit of filming of that. I used to watch a bit of Morse filming when I lived in Oxford, fascinating stuff, 30 minutes worth of filming for footage that lasted a mere 30 seconds.

Do you have a good agent? My father is goood friends with one based in Sussex if you are ever looking to change. He seems to be popular (The agent, not my father. Although my father is very popular).

Thanks mate, As it happens I amon the lookout for a new agent. Any chance yuo could PM me soon and chat about it?

Also thanks for advice folks - I'm thinking jeans are a no go all being equal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Like this
chav.jpg

Jan 30, 2008

how does your body manage to support your head :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here