Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the chances of the 5 sub rule being reversed?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Do you think it will be reversed, every manager in the championship seems to hate it. Apart from piss poor palace who will struggle to get 5 subs. For the past few years the FA have been banging on about how important it is to bring through home grown players, yet this rule ruins the chances of many youngsters trying to break through. I'm sure this was not the FA's reason behind it but i really think they need to have a good look at the long term effects this may have on development of home grown talent

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It were club chairmen who voted for it and it benefits league 1 and two better. It won't be changed this season anyway.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Won't be changed this year. Could they possibly introduce 7 subs for Premiership/Championship and 5 subs for Leagues 1 and 2 in future? If the voting match that sort of pattern anyway

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
5 or 7 subs dont make a difference at all with 7 subs most teams take 1gk - 2 def - 2 mids - 2 att and with 5 subs teams 90% of the time take 1 gk - 1 def - 2 mids - 1 att , most player are very versertile and can play in most areas witht he fact you can only make 3 changes anyways i cant see it being a maybe prob

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
5 or 7 subs dont make a difference at all with 7 subs most teams take 1gk - 2 def - 2 mids - 2 att and with 5 subs teams 90% of the time take 1 gk - 1 def - 2 mids - 1 att , most player are very versertile and can play in most areas witht he fact you can only make 3 changes anyways i cant see it being a maybe prob
Makes a huge difference actually. It gives managers much more options to tinker with the team during substitutions and keeping players more happy.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not a chance of reversal, it's a financial decision and most Managers won't get much of a say in the economics of the club apart from being given a budget.

I think it makes a big difference - Gus was positively fuming about it and it's defo buggered his plans up and made his job of developing ad motivating some of the fringe players much more tricky. Maybe why he's put the brakes on signings to reconsider the balance

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think it makes a big difference - Gus was positively fuming about it and it's defo buggered his plans up and made his job of developing ad motivating some of the fringe players much more tricky. Maybe why he's put the brakes on signings to reconsider the balance

You may be right there about the impact on extra signings

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Gordon Taylor (PFA boss) was saying yesterday that there is no point having young players "enjoying the experience" of sitting on the bench - they would be better out there playing on loan.

The trouble with that is that other clubs do not play the Gus way - not surprised he is fuming.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
As Gus said before, it would have been nice to have had some sort of consultation, but the new rule was brought in without any discussion at all.

Makes a huge difference actually. It gives managers much more options to tinker with the team during substitutions and keeping players more happy.

It also would enable a manager to have younger players on the bench instead of experienced players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here