Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Pier.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
m20gull said:
Looking at the photos on here, I would say that if a West Pier is rebuilt (and the chances of that happening must now be close to zero) it won't have much of the old one in it. It would therefore be a replica and worthless.

Is Nelson's Victory - still the Royal Navy's flagship - "worthless"? I certainly don't think so, despite the fact that something like 70-80% of the ship in Portsmouth isn't actually the original ship that was built. It's still the Victory and still worth preserving.

The West Pier is an important building - it's the first pier ever to be built for fun as well as providing a way of getting on and off ships. As it turned out, it was also a very attractive building. And this happened in my home town. That is, I think, a very cool thing indeed. I think it's at least worth trying to do something.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
m20gull said:
Let it go with grace and dignity and remember the old times.

Not sure how you would say the West Pier is going in a graceful or dignified manner... and its not just about remembering the old times, it's doing something to allow future generations to experience something that has been and is still a big part of Brighton.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm with Chappers and MOH - restore it. Yes it would pretty much be a replica but often restored objects are like that. Steam locomotives for example never contain so much as a single bolt from their original build.

Also I don't want to see the Noble organisation, the Nimbys or the Arsonists win.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Man of Harveys said:
Just think: a West Pier restored even to the 1866 buildings would get favourable coverage for the town in every national and plenty of international newspaper. The publicity would be invaluable to the city - just think of the dosh that would bring in.

I used to support the West Pier restoration but TH's photos show how bad the situation has got and I question whether it is worth the expenditure. I'm not after progress for its own sake, merely noting that progress happens.

So why hasn't it happened? If there is a consensus for its repair or there was money in it then I am sure it would have happened. I just think it's time to say goodbye. It's also time for serious soul-searching in Brighton and Hove as to how such dereliction of duty allowed a thing of beauty to fade so quickly.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Man of Harveys said:
Is Nelson's Victory - still the Royal Navy's flagship - "worthless"? I certainly don't think so, despite the fact that something like 70-80% of the ship in Portsmouth isn't actually the original ship that was built. It's still the Victory and still worth preserving.

A good question. The debate over what makes something a restoration or a replica is something common to many historical items. A restoration, even with only 20-30%, is still a restoration and therefore, to me, not the same as a replica. I would rather see pictures of Victorians enjoying the original pier with those pictures housed in something new and worthwhile, than a tacky replica.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
m20gull said:
I used to support the West Pier restoration but TH's photos show how bad the situation has got and I question whether it is worth the expenditure. I'm not after progress for its own sake, merely noting that progress happens.

So why hasn't it happened? If there is a consensus for its repair or there was money in it then I am sure it would have happened. I just think it's time to say goodbye. It's also time for serious soul-searching in Brighton and Hove as to how such dereliction of duty allowed a thing of beauty to fade so quickly.

I've noticed in the last five or so years as this town has become more and more popular as a place to live that the atmosphere has completely changed. People don't respect this town for what it once was, especially the young kids growing up in this town.

When the first fire happened me and a mate where at hte Market Diner tucking into our market specials whe another mate phoned us. We ran down there as fast as we could because we care about what happens to this town. I just wish more people did instead of only caring abuot how much their f***ing house is worth.

This town has changed and it's making me think about turning my back on it and leaving for pastures new.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think The West Pier Trust are WAY out of their depth. After every storm/ignoble arson attack they'd have that chairman bloke on local TV news standing on the beach with the wreckage behind, chuckling away to himself and saying no need to panic, we can rebuild it, we have the original drawings and some of the origanl features stashed away etc. etc. Looked like he hadn't a care in the world. When he'd been wheeled out after about four successive batterings for the Pier, each of which wiped out another big chunk of the structure, I just came to the conclusion that the guy's an ineffectual arsehole, and the 'Trust' is non-existent.

Tom Hark said:
I think The West Pier Trust are WAY out of their depth. After every storm/ignoble arson attack they'd have that chairman bloke on local TV news standing on the beach with the wreckage behind, chuckling away to himself and saying no need to panic, we can rebuild it, we have the original drawings and some of the origanl features stashed away etc. etc. Looked like he hadn't a care in the world. When he'd been wheeled out after about four successive batterings for the Pier, each of which wiped out another big chunk of the structure, I just came to the conclusion that the guy's an ineffectual arsehole, and the 'Trust' is non-existent.

Ignoble arson attack?....What on Earth do you mean by that? :ohmy: ??? :)

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
m20gull said:

At what cost to you? Do you know how much the restoration is going to cost you personally? It's all too easy to sit there and question whether it's worth it.

m20gull said:

I'd rather try as bloody hard as we can to restore it rather than let it go and then 'reflect' on what a dereliction of duty it has been on other people.

Sorry, IMHO the dereliciton of duty is people giving up on what is a fundamental part of the town I love.

Last edited:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Josky said:
At what cost to you? Do you know how much the restoration is going to cost you personally? It's all too easy to sit there and question whether it's worth it.

I don't even know how much it would cost, or who would pay for it. My guess is that it would cost lots and whether it's public or private money, if the money weren't there before, why should anyone rush in now it will be even more expensive to restore.

I'd rather try as bloody hard as we can to restore it rather than let it go and then 'reflect' on what a dereliction of duty it has been on other people.

Sorry, IMHO the dereliciton of duty is people giving up on what is a fundamental part of the town I love. [/B[

So how much will it cost, and who should pay for it?

Oct 25, 2003
when it got set on fire, people i know that live in NEW ZEALAND knew about it- the west pier is famous worldwide- its a shame all the nimby's and those bastards from that tacky piece of shit down the road had other ideas

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

When the first fire happened me and a mate where at the Market Diner tucking into our market specials when another mate phoned us. We ran down there as fast as we could because we care about what happens to this town. I just wish more people did instead of only caring about how much their f***ing house is worth.

Post Of The Day. IMHO, like. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
m20gull said:
I don't even know how much it would cost, or who would pay for it. My guess is that it would cost lots and whether it's public or private money, if the money weren't there before, why should anyone rush in now it will be even more expensive to restore.

Whether it's financed by private or public money is not an issue if you've already given up on the Pier, m20gull. Of course it's going to cost loads, so will Falmer. But whether it costs loads or not, it's the principle of not giving up on something so many people who are from Brighton are all about.

Imagine what you'd say to someone who said 'what's the point in building Falmer, it's gonna cost so much money?'. Progress begins with vision and Brighton fans more than ever should know this.

m20gull said:
So how much will it cost, and who should pay for it?

MoH is probably the best placed to answer this - what's the deal on costs and financing MoH?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Successive town councils should be ashamed of their handling of the West Pier situation.

The bottom line is that while is costs £X to fully restore the pier it costs the city £2X in lost revenues from tourism and pier takings alone.

Add to that the loss of prestige to the city from having an eyesore smack in the middle of the seafront, and contrast that with the prestige gained from having a new, fully-functioning pier.

You cannot buy history. The West Pier was part of what makes Brighton unique, I say restore it or, at the very least, recreate a new pier in its image.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Successive town councils should be ashamed of their handling of the West Pier situation.

You cannot buy history. The West Pier was part of what makes Brighton unique, I say restore it or, at the very least, recreate a new pier in its image.

Totally agree. The structure at the far end is cast-iron, looks smart as all-f*** and is SOLID & not likely to fall into the sea unless it gets attacked with blowtorches and high-tech welding gear by criminals with ignoble motives over an extended period.

Let's hope it ain't the case but... The Seagull Party could well be putting together a manifesto over the next few months. Full restoration of The West Pier should maybe form one of the central election aims. Face it, established parties of all political hues have had their chance and proved that they couldn't give a flying f*** about what makes the town SPECIAL.

Last edited:

WATF0RD ZERO

Jan 22, 2004
I remember going on the west pier as a kid, but it's time to let it go now ..........................:(

and build a f***ing great new 21st century Pier that will piss off the Noble group and the Nimbys

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here