Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were we bullied into playing Liverpool on the wednesday

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Have we been bullied into playing Liverpool on the Wednesday to guarantee live tv coverage.
As a st holder it makes no difference to me whether the game is televised or not.but why on earth are we playing Wednesday,Friday & the scum on the following Tuesday.
The Liverpool game maybe the first game to see the Amex full but surely Gus will prioritize the games with Leeds & palace and rest players for the Liverpool game.
6 points against Leeds & scum means more to me than glory in the league cup.

Yes I have got a ticket for the Liverpool game

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sky wanted to show us v the bindippers and the Leeds v Man U games , we lost out. Money talks , something we need to accept now we are on the rise.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
both clubs had another potential league match only 48 hours from this fixture. Liverpool if it was Tuesday, Brighton if it was Wednseday.

One are a European powerhouse and champions league winners, one is Brighton. Who are the league going to want to piss off less?

Annoying but hardly suprising

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sky wanted to show us v the bindippers and the Leeds v Man U games , we lost out. Money talks , something we need to accept now we are on the rise.

No, I disagree with that. We're playing Liverpool, first of all. And secondly, considering we are already playing on Sky on the friday night, I can't see any logic in suggesting that we had to go with the money. I don't think it's at all likely the club wanted the wednesday for Sky purposes. I certainly don't think they were bullied into it. I think it's more likely that Sky told us they wanted to show it live, but it would be the wednesday, take it or leave it. I then think that Poyet would have been consulted and, considering we're playing it on the wedneday, he decided to play it on the wednesday and be on Sky. I don't think we got a phone call telling us it was on the wednesday and it would be on Sky, I doubt it happened like that at all. We're playing on the wednesday, I don't believe Gus Poyet, specifically Gus, didn't want it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
both clubs had another potential league match only 48 hours from this fixture. Liverpool if it was Tuesday, Brighton if it was Wednseday.

One are a European powerhouse and champions league winners, one is Brighton. Who are the league going to want to piss off less?

Annoying but hardly suprising

But Man Utd didn't have a problem with it?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

3 big games in 6 days is a tough ask especially as the 3rd game is palace.if you offered any Brighton fan 1 home win I'm sure 99% of them would have said palace.

Surely the liverpool game is enough of a money spinner without prostituting yourself for tv.

Although how many clubs are live on tv twice in 3 days.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If we have Premiership ambitions, 3 big games in 7 days is something we're going to have to practise being OK with. It's not that big a deal. Behind the complaints, there seems to be an undeclared lack of confidence in our formidable team. Some fans seem attached to us being small-time, with talk of us somehow being bullied into it by the big boys.

Bring it on. We are playing like a decent Premiership side at the moment.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If we have Premiership ambitions, 3 big games in 7 days is something we're going to have to practise being OK with. It's not that big a deal. Behind the complaints, there seems to be an undeclared lack of confidence in our formidable team. Some fans seem attached to us being small-time, with talk of us somehow being bullied into it by the big boys.

I do agree somewhat as I reckon we can take on anyone at the moment, well, maybe not Barcelona! But, is Gus going to put out the reserves for this one? Hoskins, Buckley, KLL, they have hardly played so far....... mmm... some reserve team that is. All 3 need match fitness as well....

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

We may have premier league ambitions (not premiership) but we don't have a premier league squad.

If you asked Albion fans what game they want to win the most ,I'm sure the palace game will win hands down.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I doubt we were 'bullied'. We could have turned it down but obviously wanted the TV money. As Leeds are also playing on the Friday and have to travel, Weds wouldn't be an option for them. Leeds v Man U was a cert for TV coverage so we possibly had to take the Weds or nothing.... But we could have taken nothing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We may have premier league ambitions (not premiership) but we don't have a premier league squad.

If you asked Albion fans what game they want to win the most ,I'm sure the palace game will win hands down.

This. Our players looked knackered at the Blackpool match.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
And secondly, considering we are already playing on Sky on the friday night, I can't see any logic in suggesting that we had to go with the money.

I could stand corrected, but I am pretty sure that the money we will get for this cup game will far eclipse the money for having a TV league game shown.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would be happy with:

Leicester away draw
Liverpool at home win
Leeds at home win or draw
Palace win or draw

But minimum 5 league points out of those 3 games and a cup win.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Don't forget our massive pitch must take its toll on the players. That's why I'm concerned - 3 big games in a row at home will be tough. We need to steer clear of any more bad injuries to get through that period with very limited difficulty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here