Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're such a predictable side

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Any scouts watching last night (or the last 3 saturdays) would have come away with a fairly easy plan to shut us completely out of the game -

Work the ball to mayo and lynch just inside our own half and watch them pump long left-footed balls out to the right wing to either revell or hart. Then either go and intercept it beacause it probably won't be a good enough ball to take the full back out of the game or let them bring it down and stay tight, don't allow the cross and wait for them to pass the ball in to hammond/carpenter/cox who will then either play it straight across to the other side or pump a too straight, too long ball down the channel which can be seen out of play.

I've lost count of the amount of times we've had possession on the halfway line or just inside their half (central or wide) and the player in possession has not been willing or not had the bottle to drive forward with the football, committing his opposite number. By doing this, you either take them out of the game, creating a 3v2 or 2v1 or you create more space to play others in. We never take people on with the ball!! We seem to take an age to gain those vital few yards from the halfway line to the 25 yard mark, by which time the opposition defence is sorted, our men are picked up and their midfield are closing the space.

Hammond is possibly the most frustrating footballer to watch. He came through as a box-to-box midfielder, bursting into the box one end and making challenges at the other. Now the game seems to pass him by, at least once on Saturday and last night he was in space when we had a corner or throw in and he made no attempt to show for the ball - even pointing to other players rather than wanting it himself. I really like him and think he's key to the club for the next few years, but only if he starts to take responsibility of games. Especially in chippy's absence - i had no idea he was captain last night until i read it on the website this morning.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
We've been like that as far back as I can remember. Against Bristol the other week I think it was Cox had the ball in the opposition penalty area and passed it back out to the left wing instead of running it or passing it into the box. I don't know what the hell that was about but really sums up how blunt (clueless?)our attack is.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
spot on bath seagull , you will prob get opposed for your view but i think its bang on.

What made it even more hard to accept last night was we continued to do this with 11 v 10 and Robinson often isolated on his own up front trying to win things out the air

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Dougal said:
spot on bath seagull , you will prob get opposed for your view but i think its bang on.

What made it even more hard to accept last night was we continued to do this with 11 v 10 and Robinson often isolated on his own up front trying to win things out the air

Exactly. Fair enough if we want to try the longer ball (which we have been doing for quite a while) but we need to mix it up a bit. We have young, hungry players who can take players on and commit them but for some reason they are not doing it.

I've done a bit of coaching and i will always tell a player that i would rather they tried to create something and failed than they just get rid of the ball and pass the responsibility on to someone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here