Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well, i never knew that

Sep 1, 2010
Just flicking through the Sky Sports Magazine this morning, i noticed on Stelling's Stat article that Ex-Albion manager Charlie Webb is the 9th Longest serving manager of all time in English football. Appointed in 1919 and lasted 28 seasons. Crikey

Fred Everies of West Brom was number one last 46 seasons.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He's an interesting fellow.

Charlie Webb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Promoted to acting captain (the rank was confirmed after the war), he was leading a patrol near Nesle in March 1918 when they were challenged in French. Unfortunately for Webb and his men, the French speakers were German troops. Preferring to avoid unnecessary injury or death, Webb surrendered. He saw out the duration as a prisoner of war in Mainz, Germany. While awaiting repatriation, he received a letter from the chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion offering him the post of team manager, an appointment he took up on his demobilisation in 1919.

We had six managers from 1901 - 1951. Twenty-one from 1951 - 2001.

Just flicking through the Sky Sports Magazine this morning, i noticed on Stelling's Stat article that Ex-Albion manager Charlie Webb is the 9th Longest serving manager of all time in English football. Appointed in 1919 and lasted 28 seasons. Crikey.
And that ignores his 10 previous years as a player.

Sep 1, 2010
Interesting read Bof

And yes, 46 season the the West Brom guy, i suppose there was just no loyalty in those days! :whistle:

Charlie Webb's second testimonial game (in 1949) must have been something. Arsenal (1947/48 League Champions) v Portsmouth (1948/49 League Champions - at the Goldstone.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Can someone tell me what sex the South Korean weightlifter is on page 26 of said sky sports mag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here