Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Same weekend as our trip to stoke.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Referee87 said:
what a great draw for EB....hope they can beat them...wouldnt it be wierd if we got them in the 3rd round ?

No I want another shot at Spurs.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just back from the game so I thought that a brief match report might be in order, in case anyone is interested.

I can't think that I have ever watched a game of football in surroundings as picturesque as Bishops Cleeve, a small town just to the north of Cheltenham. As you approach the ground down a country lane you find pretty much what might be expected, little more than a recreation ground pitch, albeit surrounded by a fence and with a clubhouse at one end. All of this is overlooked by Cleeve Hill, surrounded by farmland, the only place I can compare it with is somewhere like Amberley in the shadow of the Downs.

I arrived slightly late for the game and therefore missed the announcement of the teams so some of my facts might be a bit dubious as some players wore different numbers from the programme. The first half was fairly even, both teams tried to dominate by resorting to the physical approach, an occasional late tackle and the odd flying elbow appeared to be the order of the day. Borough went ahead shortly before half time when Scott Ramsay was allowed enough room to tap in from a low cross, the Cleeve defence just stood around to admire the pace and skill of the erstwhile Albion favourite.

The second half followed pretty much the same path as the first, although Borough managed to dominate without putting the Cleeve goalkeeper under severe pressure. The number of niggling tackles, flying elbows and shoulder barges increased as the half progressed and the game became more and more bitty in nature. Borough looked the more likely to score again as the game neared its close, but much of their approach play was ended by tackles in keeping with the agricultural setting of the ground.

Towards the end of the game Danny Simmonds was stretchered from the pitch following a 50-50 with the Cleeve keeper, who sportingly kicked the ball out of play despite his opponent having rolled off the pitch. There were a number of occasions where the tackles were a little heavy and things threatened to boil over but somehow the referee managed to assert his authority and instead of prolonging things with dressings down and cards just restarted the game, an unusually lax approach to the laws of the game but it did keep things moving.

Due to the injury to Simmonds, extra time seemed to drag on for at least 10 minutes, Borough appeared to take an eternity over every free-kick, throw in and corner but finally the whistle blew to signal the end to a lively encounter. The travelling faithfull from Borough, and their noisy drumming section, will have returned home in the knowledge that their opponents in the First Round Proper of the FA Cup are Oxford United, who were ironically the opponents in the same competition when I attended my first game at the Goldstone.

MoM - Stuart Tuck - A cut above the rest, he marshalled his defence well and got in some telling tackles whenever Cleeve got anywhere near the Borough penalty box, he made the difference between the two teams.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who remembers Stuart Tuck at The Goldstone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here