Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well can Promotion from within work?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Well can Apprentices step up to the mark?

• YES........... Mouldy of course they can, i cannot believe people who have such a closed mind.

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • NO............ it will never work because of Jeff wood etc is living proof of it.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I love a big chunky 6inch gravel board on my fence!

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

After the recent exciting and solid football, do you feel promotion from within can work?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If done corrrectly of course it can.

f*** me ask any scouser about the infamous Anfield "boot room" it kept them going for a few years and their most successful period.

D

Deleted member 2719

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
If done corrrectly of course it can.

f*** me ask any scouser about the infamous Anfield "boot room" it kept them going for a few years and their most successful period.

Totally agree with you.

The Sussex boot room is in development and let's hope we can get some of our most successful times in the next few years!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

D

Deleted member 2719

DAMANCLAY said:
Bit early to pass judgement on Wilkins. At the moment im still with Fence.

I understand your caution but with the last five games a total reverse of the 5 games before them that is what i call top draw managing and if we slipped in to that circumstance again i have every belief that Deano would be able to turn it around again.

I know we have had 2 lower opposition teams in that last 5 game run but with the stats reading

Won 4
Drawn 1
Lost 0
For 12
Against 3

That combining the entertainment factor i hope that positive vibes will be running through all the Deano doubters.

:albion: :albion:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Liverpool did it successfully in the 70s and 80s, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and there is no cut and dried yes or no answer. Regardless of what happens over the next few months/years Wilkins is easily the best of our internal promotions - mind you that's not saying much when you remember the other ones have been Wood and Hinshlewood.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The old cliche running before you can walk springs to mind.

Hope so though

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:
The old cliche running before you can walk springs to mind.

Hope so though

Agreed but my version is keep running and you may fall over a few times but with the determination to succeed you will get there in the end and be able to draw on the slip up along the way!!

And there is always the therory he has been ready for sometime to make the jump up but been patient to learn his apprenticeship thouroughly.

I really do not expect much more than midtable in his first year in first team management so anymore would be a massive bonus.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fence. Sweeeeet fence.

It clearly hasn't worked before with us. It clearly has worked elsewhere. It clearly has been a disaster at other clubs too as anyone who saw 'Big Ron Manager' will attest.

For me it all depends on who the promoted manager is. Wood and Hinsh were a disaster but I have a sneaky feeling that Wendy will be superb.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
Agreed but my version is keep running and you may fall over a few times but with the determination to succeed you will get there in the end and be able to draw on the slip up along the way!!

And there is always the therory he has been ready for sometime to make the jump up but been patient to learn his apprenticeship thouroughly.

I really do not expect much more than midtable in his first year in first team management so anymore would be a massive bonus.

Deano has done much much better overall in his 1st few games in charge than any other promotion from within that I recall so it's looking good so far.

I am of course only referring to promotion from within at the Albion :)

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Guinness Boy said:
Fence. Sweeeeet fence.

but I have a sneaky feeling that Wendy will be superb.

I love sneaky feelings!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

D

Deleted member 2719

What no negatives now our current form has improved.

How strange!!

;)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Mouldy Boots said:
What no negatives now our current form has improved.

How strange!!

;)

And the same trend will occur if we have a bad run of form. I get the feelings Wilkins could be a hit rather than a miss though.

D

Deleted member 2719

DAMANCLAY said:
And the same trend will occur if we have a bad run of form. I get the feelings Wilkins could be a hit rather than a miss though.

Yes i know i love these fickle voters!!

:lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It can work, look at Chris Coleman at Fulham, had his career ended far too early by injury and is doing a pretty good job of keeping their heads above water...could be the new Alan Curbishley.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think it all depends on how a team is playing.

If the team are playing well and the manager leaves to go to another job then it would be logical to keep the team playing the same way so you would promote from within.

If the team are playing badly and the manager gets sacked then you would want to change things around and get some fresh ideas involved.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Mouldy Boots said:
After the recent exciting and solid football, do you feel promotion from within can work?

It can and it might...............lets hope so!
It failed in the past but no-one wants to revisit those dark days!
I should imagine every Albion fan WANTED Deano to succeed but it was a very big risk and i think most people with an eye of past experiences feared the time was a little early for our talented Youth coach. If he proves our fears were unfounded we all will be estactic and mid -table security combined with a few good performances, a La Huddersfield will seem to be an outstanding success in his first season! IMO the jury is still out but have to admit the team are playing well and it is great to see a large percentage of the team is home grown and managed by a likeable Albion stalwalt. Well done Deano and his lads if i was marking his school reort it would read;

Dean Wilkins

Dean has done well so far this term, he has exceeded my expectations and for someone who is still learning has grasped the chance to show his talents with both hands! His results may not be as good as they have been recently but hopefully he has learnt that the term is a marathon and not a sprint. Well Done Dean a promising term becons under difficult circumstances. 9 out of 10 for entertainment
8 out of 10 for results
9 out of 10 for effort

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Re: Re: Well can Promotion from within work?

*Gullsworth* said:
It can and it might...............lets hope so!
It failed in the past but no-one wants to revisit those dark days!
I should imagine every Albion fan WANTED Deano to succeed but it was a very big risk and i think most people with an eye of past experiences feared the time was a little early for our talented Youth coach. If he proves our fears were unfounded we all will be estactic and mid -table security combined with a few good performances, a La Huddersfield will seem to be an outstanding success in his first season! IMO the jury is still out but have to admit the team are playing well and it is great to see a large percentage of the team is home grown and managed by a likeable Albion stalwalt. Well done Deano and his lads if i was marking his school reort it would read;

Dean Saunders

Dean has done well so far this term, he has exceeded my expectations and for someone who is still learning has grasped the chance to show his talents with both hands! His results may not be as good in the future as they have been recently but hopefully he has learnt that the term is a marathon and not a sprint. Well Done Dean a promising term becons under difficult circumstances. 9 out of 10 for entertainment
8 out of 10 for results
9 out of 10 for effort

Oooopppss Sorry -so good i posted twice:blush:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here