Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WEB CAM ... again

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
A bit of a rant here, as you haven't been bothered to reply to my post at the end of last month.

When the club set up the webcam it created great vibes on this board, and people were glued to it to watch the long awaited stadium being built.

But if anyone asks about the positioning of the webcam, from the very beginning you seem to either ignore it, or refer to your quote "You can already see the steelwork being erected on the south stand. The camera is sited so that you get the maximum amount of the stadium as it is built from one position. We will be making special film and photographs available when the arches are erected. "

Well, unless I and many others on here are missing something, apart from seeing the rear of the South Stand built, what else is there to see. I think if the club plan to do anything with the whole time-lapse stadium being built, how is anyone going to see anything of the North or West stands being built. It's going to be a pretty pathetic time-lapse video if all it shows is the ground work, the excitement of the East stand going up and then a year or viewing the back of the south stand.

I would say it bluntly obvious to everyone,except the project team, that no one is going to be able to see much else from here on in. The time-lapse is a waste of time in it current location, and I would be deeply concerned if the project team think otherwise. If this was the intention of the club to make a video featuring the time-lapse, then someone has screwed it up, so can we cut our loses and get the cam moved to a lofted position? (Maybe on top of the East Stand) and at least gives to saddos amongst us (me included) who like to follow the cam on a daily basis, the pleasure of seeing the North and West Stands built instead of another year of wondering what's happening the massive structure sitting right in front of the cam.

If it's that expensive to get another cam installed, then may I suggest getting rid of the one that's there now and saving a few quid, because I really fail to understand the worth of it after the next few weeks.

For all the good it's going to be, you may as well only switch it on at night!

Thanks for listening.

And a little note for anyone on here who casts me as ungrateful or says the club doesn't have to do this etc etc.

I know the don't, but they are.

If they want to have their own thread, stop workers posting on other threads, and stop supporters being able to save pics from the webcam, seemingly to keep full control over things (which is more than fair enough) then the least they can do is reply to threads, and answer concerns,instead of referring to a comment which clearly doesn't answer those concerns, or ignoring them completely.

Project Office

Aug 21, 2009
This is not the forum for rants or for opinions. There is another place for that. This forum is to give people an opportunity to ask questions regarding the Community Stadium project (hopefully in a polite and non-confrontational manner). Your last post did not contain a question so was not responded to and the point raised had been answered before. We understand that you do not agree with the decision made about the camera but that is the decision.

Decisions on anything to do with the project are considered and generally taken after consultation with those involved by either the Board or the Project Team. Often there will have been a number of reports and meetings before a decision is taken. It is not possible for all of these reports and minutes to be published on a message board to justify a decision. Please accept that when a decision is taken it is taken in the best interests of the project.

The decision about the webcam was one such decision. There were a number of considerations to be taken into account - access to electricity, access to broadband, a construction that would withstand wind or adverse weather, a position that would give best views bearing in mind the above and the future construction programme and cost. The only place with access to electricity and broadband at the moment and for the foreseeable future is the coach park area. The camera has been placed in that area to give the best view of what is happening on site.

This is a massive construction area and there is probably nowhere that will provide a clear view of everything that is going on during the construction. There will always be areas missing from the shots.

If we were to say that we were considering moving the camera we would undoubtedly then get a stream of posts asking whether or not the decision had been made yet. If we make any future decisions about the positions of the camera we will announe it when that decision is made.

Because we realised that not everything would be shown on the camera we also put in place the publication of the weekly pictures that Laura takes for the Club website. There are a number of others who provide spectacular pictures notably Jack Straw and Natterjack; we also have Derek Chapman's aerial pictures and occasionally those from PCBHA.

I'm disappointed you think the time lapse camera is a waste of time, that is not the view put to us by most people.

And, just to clarify your final ranting paragraph - It was put to us by some on NSC that we should open a forum for Community Stadium related questions similar to Ask the Club and we agreed to do so; the management of the camera is with lobster not the Club; we did not ask for Natterjack to stop posting and we will continue to answer questions.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Thanks for the reply, it just would have been a lot easier and clearer if this was said before. With regards to the first post, if you look at it carefully, you will see a question mark at the end of the first paragraph, so yes, there was a question in there, and no it wasn't answered, which is why left it 2 weeks before trying again.

I think you will find that the time-lapse is considered a waste of time, if the camera is left in its current position. Now doubt up until a few weeks ago people did tell you it was great, but I would imagine those people views have changed since the cam is now benath the south stand! It's been fantastic up until now, but what is the point of a time lapse, if most of the work of the project, goes on out of view hidden behind a structure, covering nearly 50% of the view.

No one can reasonably except to see everything that happens via the webcam, and that's not the issue, it just myself and I'm sure 100% of people who use it, would like to be able to see the north and west stands go up, something that can't happen in its present location.

Also no one is expecting minutes to be published on any notice board, but again, if your reply to the numerous webcam question had explained this before, then the questions may have stopped, and the fact that you say you would expect a stream of posts if you say you were going to move the camera, suggests you know its not ideal in its present location, so again, if you had been up front about this, the constant questions would not have been coming your way.

The fact that everyone now knows that the thing cannot be moved and more to the point why it can't be moved, then they will probably stop asking, but up until now, you comments and answers regarding the issue, have been short and sharp to say the least, and no doubt everyone was as bored of asking the questions as you were in answering them.

But at least at last you have cleared the issue up, so we now know what the score is!

With regards the last paragraph rant, if poeple are ignored on these boards they tend to rant. Fair enough you never saw the question in the first post, but if it was answered then, there would have been no rant, but until now you've been avoiding the issue, and it's had to take a rant to get it answered.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here