Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weather alert: Big Freeze Coming Next Week

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was in the Mirror this morning so it must be true. Freezing weather coming down from the North Pole, minus ten to minus fifteen - with the wind chill factor ON TOP of that. Ah, I can almost FEEL That Withdean Experience already :(

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Yep, game called off due to frozen pitch!

That would be the sky revenue lost then!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tom

We no longer get " big freezes " in this part of the country. The temperatue will be 5-6 C by day and -1 by night. Some big freeze. The temperatures will be near normal rather than exceptionaly mild thats all !.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The 5 day forecast for Brighton has the max daytime tempertures of 5-6 C. Wow how cold !. Not.

I remember the day when we really got a big freeze, ie -6c max by day in the 80's.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tom , it may be -10 - 15 but it will be 4300 feet up on top of Ben Nevis, not on the continental south coast of the south coast my friend. If we get any snow next week I will donate £ 20 to the REMF.

Gareth " Michael Fish " Glover

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" south coast of the south coast " what the feck am I on about !. :dunce: :jester:

I'll get my coat.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Tom , it may be -10 - 15 but it will be 4300 feet up on top of Ben Nevis, not on the continental south coast of the south coast my friend. If we get any snow next week I will donate £ 20 to the REMF.

Gareth " Michael Fish " Glover

Never mentioned snow, Fishboy. But how about a wager on the temperature at Withdean at kick-off time v. Plymouth? These things will be hard to judge scientifically, but perhaps could be decided by an NSC poll - always a representative pointer to deranged opinion. I say it will be minus five or colder. Up for it?

(edited to add - tho it goes without saying - that the loser pays £20 into the REMF)

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Gareth, does it have to be just Brighton? Or Sussex in general? If it snows in Haywards Heath or Crawley will you still cough up?

Parameters, people...we need parameters!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tom your on. Plymouth game ko 5.35 pm , -5 c or lower I pay £ 20 to he REMF, warmer than -5c you pay.

Also Snow in Brighton, laying to 1cm or more, before 1/2/04 I will pay £ 20 to the REMF.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway Tom, what the feck is a " Fishboy ". Is it a compliment, I think not somehow.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Tom your on. Plymouth game ko 5.35 pm , -5 c or lower I pay £ 20 to he REMF, warmer than -5c you pay.

Also Snow in Brighton, laying to 1cm or more, before 1/2/04 I will pay £ 20 to the REMF.

It's a deal Fishboy - Let's Get It On! (In A Strictly non-Biblical Stylee, He Adds Hastily :blush: )

OK, and I guess I'm obliged to oppose you in the NSC Betting Exchange arena on the snowfall in BN1 before 1/2/04 also. Tho any profit you make from selling unused toboggans (or possibly 'tabogans' - in any case the one word in the english languge harder to spell than 'whingeing') in the NSC Small Ads also have to go to the REMF aye?

:clap:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Anyway Tom, what the feck is a " Fishboy ". Is it a compliment, I think not somehow.

A Fishboy is a diminutive of Michael fish i.e. the doubting Thomas of the Beeb who authoritatively informed Mrs. Ethel Scroggs, a caller, that 'Ho-ho-ho There4 Won't Be Any Hurricane' a full half dozen hours before every mature tree in Brighton was blown to the ground in Nineteen Eighty Something.

Have no fear, you will be taunted with the 'Fishboy' tag only until next Saturday 5.30pm when you will be forced to bow down to the superior weather-forecasting scare-mongering qualitites of the Daily Mirror. ;)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Look I have been waiting for 15 years to get my tobogan out of storage and get to Wild Park for some serious sledging. But the forecasts of + 5-6 C by day seems to me than no snow will be falling or indeed laying in the Brighton area next week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Here's the article

BIG FREEZE ON THE WAY Jan 22 2004

By Chris Hughes

A SEVERE cold snap will freeze the country next week with temperatures dropping below -15C, the Met Office said yesterday.

But the nights will "feel more like -24C" as icy northerly winds sweep in from the North East.

By Monday the freeze will have set in and could last three days, making it one of the coldest winter spells across the UK for a decade.

Overnight temperatures in the North will be lowest, with predictions of -15C sparking health concerns, particularly for the elderly.

Daytime temperatures will fall to -7C in the North early in the week and -2C in the South by midweek.

Andrew Bond, of independent forecasters Metcheck, said: "We could be in line for one of the most severe winter events the UK has seen for a few years. The air will be coming from northern Canada where the temperature is around -40C."

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The biggest load of old shite I have read in my life.

The daytime temperatures according to the Glover Southwick Weather Station will be:

Monday 26th 5c
Tuesday 27th 5c
Wednesday 28th 6c
Thursday 29th 6c
Friday 30th 8c
Saturday 31st 11c , mild south westerly, with strong winds and heavy rain ( Brighton are at home ).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
3 whole days of cold weather, wow !.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here