Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We Want Falmer"

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
I've only just got around to reading this book, and I was pretty disappointed with it. It seems like the authors got a dozen "Faces" together for some mutual back slapping. The Build a Bonfire book was a bit like that but this one seems even more so. There's definitely not enough mention of the thousands of fans who did their bit by writing letters and attending meetings and such like. Does anyone else have an opinion on the book?

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Umm if you call a year of unpaid work interviewing and transcribing around 40 interviews of minimum 2 hours/maximum 6 hours (Dick Knight) each, into a coherent reflection of 12 years getting "a dozen faces together for some mutual backslapping" then I think you need to go back and reread it. By all means dislike the book, but get your facts right if you're going to criticize it. We tried to reflect the fanbase as much as possible and also give precedence to the few people who literally gave up their lives for the campaign. We all know who those people are, but we also interviewed supporters who were involved in the campaigns you talked about and covered 90% of the extraordinary range of ups and downs and campaigns along the way.
Steve North (co-author)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Umm if you call a year of unpaid work interviewing and transcribing around 40 interviews...
Steve North (co-author)
As co-author, have you not received any money from the sale of the book, and if not, why?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I think I know where you are coming from. I haven't read the book but had a flick through it in the club shop the other evening. There was a photo of a few people I know stood at the clock tower with a grey haired guy with a grey beard, he seemed to be in almost all of the photos in the book.

That said, i'm going to buy it for myself for christmas as i've been told by other people it is a good read.

LE19

I've only just got around to reading this book, and I was pretty disappointed with it. It seems like the authors got a dozen "Faces" together for some mutual back slapping. The Build a Bonfire book was a bit like that but this one seems even more so. There's definitely not enough mention of the thousands of fans who did their bit by writing letters and attending meetings and such like. Does anyone else have an opinion on the book?

Thousand of fans did their bit, but how interesting would an interview be below the top dozen "faces"? "Yes, I got angry and upset and wrote a lot of letters" would cover most of those thousands! How many names or faces would you include?

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
As co-author, have you not received any money from the sale of the book, and if not, why?
Nothing so far. Sales have been lower than expected, costs were high. Will be a big push again this Christmas. We never got any from Build a Bonfire either, until we republished it last year.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not really a fan of the style of the book, I'd have preferred it if an author told the story himself - quoting people when relevant.
I appreciate this isn't easily done though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There was a photo of a few people I know stood at the clock tower with a grey haired guy with a grey beard, he seemed to be in almost all of the photos in the book.

Was it Ken Bates?

Time to rename the bar.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not really a fan of the style of the book, I'd have preferred it if an author told the story himself - quoting people when relevant.
I appreciate this isn't easily done though.

I think it's the perfect way to tell the story.

It doesn't matter if it's contradictory in places; that's part of its charm.

To have a cold, dispassionate narrative on something so emotive would be a missed opportunity, I'd say.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Was it Ken Bates?

Time to rename the bar.

If you're insinuating it is Dick tight and that i dont know what he looks like, i assure you its not DK. It just looks like an Albion fan who has got into every picture. Im in no doubt that this must be because he did lots for Falmer, i just posted my observation as the OP said he felt the book had surrounded only a few people of something similar.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nothing so far. Sales have been lower than expected, costs were high. Will be a big push again this Christmas.
Ok, well I wish you luck with it, I hope you do make some money. But it's not right to say it's unpaid work. I expect you are passionate about BHA, and enjoyed doing it, but any 'work' aspect of it would be a venture to make money from book sales etc.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
If you're insinuating it is Dick tight and that i dont know what he looks like, i assure you its not DK. It just looks like an Albion fan who has got into every picture. Im in no doubt that this must be because he did lots for Falmer, i just posted my observation as the OP said he felt the book had surrounded only a few people of something similar.

Its the mighty mod Lord Bracknell if its the clocktower shot.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think it's the perfect way to tell the story.

It doesn't matter if it's contradictory in places; that's part of its charm.

To have a cold, dispassionate narrative on something so emotive would be a missed opportunity, I'd say.

Why would the narrative have to be cold and dispassionate? I certainly wouldn't want it to be, I was thinking of something along the lines of Vulcan 607 by Rowland White - his narrative adds to the drama and emotion. He even makes a subject as dry as Vulcan refuelling sound interesting.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
You'll also see a young looking Biscuit too!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

No, I was insinuating it was Ken Bates!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why would the narrative have to be cold and dispassionate? I certainly wouldn't want it to be, I was thinking of something along the lines of Vulcan 607 by Rowland White - his narrative adds to the drama and emotion. He even makes a subject as dry as Vulcan refuelling sound interesting.

It wouldn't have to be cold and dispassionate, but it is warmer - and more real - telling it from a first person perspective. Of course, I understand that means that a certain amount of personal editing takes place, and the inward criticism is limited.

You could have it written by a neutral journalist or a writer, and they would be able to add comment and opinion, but that would be from the perspective of one person, rather than this format which has the perspective of over 40 individuals who were there.

This book was, I believe, intended as a celebration of our collective achievements. The OP is right to a point about mutual back-slapping, but then again - so what?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here