Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We might as well decide penalty decisions with the toss of a coin

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What about the Carragher / Stoke bloke who's name has escaped me. The guy backed in deliberately and put his foot onto Carragher and then went down. Very, very soft.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What about the Carragher / Stoke bloke who's name has escaped me. The guy backed in deliberately and put his foot onto Carragher and then went down. Very, very soft.

Agree it was a bit of a soft one, but Carragher had his arm wrapped round the blokes waist and looked like he was holding him back, so its not that surprising it was given.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Compare the differences between a foul OUTSIDE the box and one in. Also compare how players "go down". There *should* be no difference (other than the location of the foul).

This "contact" and leaving a *dragging foot* to "catch" the defender should NOT be penalties IMO. They would never do (or get away with) this outside the box so why inside?

The key word is *foul* and NOT "contact". It's a contact sport so it needs to be MORE than contact to be a foul (as it would be anywhere else on the pitch).

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Agree it was a bit of a soft one, but Carragher had his arm wrapped round the blokes waist and looked like he was holding him back, so its not that surprising it was given.

Agree with this. Even if he did go down softly why did Carragher have his hand wrapped around him. Penalty for me.

well, not FOR me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If FIFA are saying that 'contact between players' mean there can't be simulation, I suggest they go back and take basic 'O' Level Physics and Biology.

The merest brushing of the leg or shoulder does not necessarily follow that a player's natural action is to be knocked over. Yet according to the football authorities, it is. Similarly, a defender could wildly swing his leg and an attacker genuinely lose his balance trying to honestly avoid getting maimed. Yet that player could be booked. As Poll said, FIFA aren't helping.

As for 'he is entitled to go down', words fail me. :facepalm:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are you contradicting yourself? Is it ambiguous if the people who saw it are divided about the outcome?

No, not really.

Your initial post suggested it was fifty:fifty, as good as a coin toss. My point is that opinion isn't divided so evenly, the overwhelming majority say it was a penalty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If FIFA are saying that 'contact between players' mean there can't be simulation, I suggest they go back and take basic 'O' Level Physics and Biology.

I think FIFA's position is that if there is contact there is no way for an observer to determine if that contact was enough to throw them off their stride and take them down, if that contact causes a protective reaction where the individual collapses to protect themselves, if they lost their footing or legs gave way as contact was made, etc., and that booking someone for diving or simulation is brandishing them a cheat, and draws questions over every foul they claim after, and rather than get it wrong, just don't book the if there is contact.

I agree it's silly. That it's usually easy to tell if someone has dived or is trying to protect themselves or whatever. But I think it came from the incident in the champions league a couple of years back where an arsenal player was booked for diving and banned, then appealed and the ban was reduced or cancelled because he argued there was contact. ~(I looked it up BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Uefa overturns Eduardo diving ban it was eduardo)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Compare the differences between a foul OUTSIDE the box and one in. Also compare how players "go down". There *should* be no difference (other than the location of the foul).

This "contact" and leaving a *dragging foot* to "catch" the defender should NOT be penalties IMO. They would never do (or get away with) this outside the box so why inside?

The key word is *foul* and NOT "contact". It's a contact sport so it needs to be MORE than contact to be a foul (as it would be anywhere else on the pitch).

This. You make a good point about player's actions outside the box and within.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry i tossed a coin and it was a penalty to calderon, however i didnt need a coin because it WAS a penalty.

Just tossed my 10p again. Still coming up as no penalty. You got a wonky coin or something?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for 'he is entitled to go down', words fail me. :facepalm:

I recall Nicky Forster once said if there's contact in the box he'll go down. He dressed it up as helping the ref know he'd been fouled. That's helpful of him. I wonder how widespread this belief and action is amongst players? It certainly seems that fans have bought into it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I really dislike Carragher.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here