Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are going DOWN

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
...without serious investment in January.

The defence is RUBBISH. Hoyte, Whing, Elphick, Virgo, Tunnicliffe, El-abd are not good enough and not consistent enough for anything other than looking like League 2 players.

Kuipers has had one good game all season, Smith appears to be hopeless.

Dicker doesn't stop and score goals, Poyet seems to have turned Bennett into a Dean Cox clone, and we have nothing on the left.

Forster can't last 90 minutes, Murray won't do much with no service and Barney Davies is a woeful substitute.

Thinking about it, I made similar points after the Leeds game, but I stand by them. We're not good enough, and without signing at the very least another right back, centre back, goalkeeper and left midfielder, I can't see us not getting relegated.

:nono:

We'll probably stay up. Since Gus has taken over we've had a good win against Saints, but other than that we've beaten crap teams and lost against good & average teams.

There's enough crap in this division for us to stay up; although that would hardly constitute a solid season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
More serious investment eh? That's the way, through MORE money around! Christ, get it into your head my friend, there's nothing wrong with the individuals and it's going to take Poyet time to get them playing well. We have the players (we bloody should have, money we've spent on them!), we just don't have the unity or direction yet. It doesn't happen overnight and it won't happen whilst Poyet doesn't have time to work with them.

Give him a chance, and give these players respect and SUPPORT.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
More serious investment eh? That's the way, through MORE money around! Christ, get it into your head my friend, there's nothing wrong with the individuals and it's going to take Poyet time to get them playing well. We have the players (we bloody should have, money we've spent on them!), we just don't have the unity or direction yet. It doesn't happen overnight and it won't happen whilst Poyet doesn't have time to work with them.

And that is quite possibly the most clueless post I've seen in my 8 years on this forum.

Just because we've spent money, doesn't mean we've got good players with it.
I initially thought Slade had left us in a good place, and maybe he has in the long term, but short term, the current crop have showed over 19 games that they just aren't up to it.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I don't think we'll go down, but it will all depend on January in which signings Gus bring in, to strengthen the squad. A expierenced centre back is a must, you look at Charlton Athletic and they've got a 37 year old in Christian Daily who was absolutely superb all night. We're also missing a creative midfielder, because Navarro is bloody awful.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
there's nothing wrong with the individuals.

I remember saying stuff like that back in 98/99 when I didn't know any better.

I've seen this all before, some of them might be good with better players around them but at the moment they are a collective pile of turd. The only way out of this mess is to buy better players. None of this promising youngster shite either, what we need is pros with a few hundred games at a higher level.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003

Nice sentiments, but as a wise man once said...you cant polish shit.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
And that is quite possibly the most clueless post I've seen in my 8 years on this forum.

I initially thought Slade had left us in a good place, and maybe he has in the long term, but short term, the current crop have showed over 19 games that they just aren't up to it.

WW total over reaction to losing three matches to probably the best three teams in the league.

Some of the players need sorting out but I am sure Gus will do this we need probably need 3 players and GP needs some time to bed his ideas down, it's been non stop since he arrived. Once the Exeter game is out of the way he can seriously start to sort this team/club out. Cheer up WW you miserable old sod!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

So because they've not been brilliant right away, they're not good enough and we need to get rid and start again? You're following BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION, we can't just go out and buy a new squad. Look at some of the clubs doing well in this league, and look at the number of players they're using. They have smaller squads with better players individually all playing together with team ethic and spirit. We have a huge squad full of players, alot of whom we don't actually need and people we would need to get rid of before replacing. I think you're not being realistic, you're expecting something which is impossible. We have good enough players to get us into midtable, and it could be argued we already have the basis of a squad that could push on and even get in the play-off battle next season.

Poyet's main concern will be getting the players together and playing as a team, rather than thinking about dumping a dozen or so and replacing them with a dozen more.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
So because they've not been brilliant right away, they're not good enough and we need to get rid and start again? You're following BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION, we can't just go out and buy a new squad. Look at some of the clubs doing well in this league, and look at the number of players they're using. They have smaller squads with better players individually all playing together with team ethic and spirit. We have a huge squad full of players, alot of whom we don't actually need and people we would need to get rid of before replacing. I think you're not being realistic, you're expecting something which is impossible. We have good enough players to get us into midtable, and it could be argued we already have the basis of a squad that could push on and even get in the play-off battle next season.

Poyet's main concern will be getting the players together and playing as a team, rather than thinking about dumping a dozen or so and replacing them with a dozen more.

Bingo bango NE. Top draw post. Gus knows what needs doing he is still getting his staff sorted as well and changing the whole club ethic.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
My view is that what we have is a complete shambles. This is well illustrated by the recent managers we have had. McGhee followed by Wilkins, Adams, Slade and now Poyet. In truth that is a list in order of competence. From what I understand Wilkins was sacked for disagreement with the chairman and because of his methods with players. Well my friends he got us to seventh and that was a terrible decision by our chairman.

We now have a manager without the necessary experience whilst the performances are going from bad to worse. I do not see that he has improved any player and perhaps our one class player Bennett has become at best, ordinary.

Money does not buy a team. It can buy players with ability that can be made into a team. It is true that we have spent £200s on a few players. That however only buys players of ability to play in this league. It does not buy a team to win and it does not buy players who will naturally shine. You need six figure signings for that like when Mullery bought Lawrenson for £100,000 all those years ago.

Beware, we are not just facing relegation this year, but our very future in the 4 leagues. Relegation should be expected this year and we need to build for next to stay in business.

The Championship.. please.. not with this chairman, not with this manager.. and most certainly not with this team or the members in it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This team needs to develop a backbone and show far more passion than they did tonight. 1st 20 mins we looked good without really creating too much, once we went behind the composure went and the 2nd half was a team playing without any inspiration at all. I know we have been playing the top teams but the lack of leaders on the field is a real worry. I gather Gus was quite happy with the performance and felt a bit sorry for the players. I really hope that was just for the radio as the players obviously felt very sorry for themselves anyway and need a good kick up the arse, not more cuddles...

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
Looking at the table we need something on saturday, Southampton, with their 10 points back would be in a half decent position and can no doubt soon pull clear, without their deduction we would be 4 points adrift, with away games at 4 of the teams around us to come, too early to panic but we need to get a run together soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that we will bring in a keeper, central defender, right back and midfielder in January either on loan or transfer and then we will push on. The future doesnt look too bright for many of our players and I feel a number will be offered out on loan to lower clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here