Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are ALL DOOMED

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Mexico flu 'a potential pandemic'

Mexico flu 'a potential pandemic'

A new flu virus suspected of killing at least 60 people in Mexico has the potential to become a pandemic, the World Health Organization's chief says.

Margaret Chan said the outbreak was a "serious situation" which needed to be followed closely.

Health experts say tests so far seem to link the illnesses in Mexico with a swine flu virus in the southern US.

A top US health official said the strain of swine flu had spread widely and could not be contained.

Ms Chan cut short a visit to the US and returned to Geneva where the WHO's emergency committee met.

The committee can recommend declaring an international public health emergency and raise the global pandemic alert level - a move that could lead to travel advisories, trade restrictions and border closures.

The WHO says it does not know the full risk yet.

It is advising all member states to be vigilant for seasonally unusual flu or pneumonia-like symptoms among their populations - particularly among young healthy adults, who seem to be the most affected in Mexico.

Officials said most of those killed so far were young adults - rather than more vulnerable children and the elderly.

Containment 'not feasible'

Schools, museums and libraries have been closed across the capital region and people are being urged to avoid shaking hands or sharing crockery.

All public events have been suspended, an official said. Two previously sold-out soccer matches were played in empty stadiums to avoid potentially spreading the virus.

The Roman Catholic Church in Mexico has recommended measures to avoid further contagion at Mass this Sunday.

Priests have been told to place communion wafers in the hands of worshippers rather than in their mouths and to suggest to the congregation that kissing or shaking hands be avoided during the service.

The US is watching the situation south of the border closely.

"With infections in many different communities as we're seeing, we don't think that containment is feasible," said Anne Schuchat of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"We are not at a point where we can keep this virus in one place... Now that we are looking more widely, I really expect us to find more."

The CDC said preliminary tests on seven out of 14 samples from patients in Mexico had matched the virus found in the US.

Eight people have fallen sick in the US - six in California and two in Texas - with a virus the WHO say was the same as the new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1.

All eight have recovered and only one was hospitalised.

Hopeful sign

The CDC said it planned to send experts to Mexico to help investigate the virus which has infected more than 1,000 people in the country.

Ms Chan confirmed the virus was an animal strain - a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses.

The BBC science editor Susan Watts says the new strain is a classic "re-assortment" - a combination feared most by those watching for the flu pandemic.

But she says possibly one hopeful sign is that, of the eight cases in the US, there has been only one requiring hospital treatment, and no deaths.

So it may turn out there is some other kind of infection at work in Mexico, as well as the new flu virus.

Swine flu is a respiratory disease which infects pigs. It does not normally infect humans, although sporadic cases do occur usually in people who have had close contact with pigs.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I personally do feel worried about this. Hopefully It will blow over like the bird flu thing and become contained, but I am seeing so many reports about it.

I'm not worried about it at all, because worrying about it will achieve nothing.

If it happens it happens, worrying about it will not stop it from happening nor make it any worse if it does happen, so why bother?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I've had my flu jab,but if it comes I hope it's after next weekend's football results.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've had my flu jab,but if it comes I hope it's after next weekend's football results.

Erm, flu jabs wont help!

Tamiflu might, so I understand, but even that hasn't had perfect press

The WHO website tends to always blow things out of proportion, but it is worrying nonetheless. A friend of mine works for a company who have purchased millions of these tamiflu drugs banking on a pandemic. If it does strike the UK, they'll be mutlimillionaires as the Government has nowhere near enough for all of us.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Theres a Venezuelan girl in my Biology class, which is near Mexico. Thats an excuse not to go if I've ever had one!!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
As a student nurse, I get first dibs on various jabs if there were to be a shortage.....

So YOU'RE all doomed!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
im going to go LOOTING if that is the case

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here