Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Wilkins really such a good coach

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
His time in charge was littered with complaints from punters about poor techniques at throw ins, corners, free kicks etc. For me that is all part of coaching.

Perhaps we should just be saying he was excellent at developing young talent and leave it at that.:thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
*Pringles bought and paid for. The top ready to be ripped off. He waits...with baited breath*

Hold the Pringles. I dont think we will get much argument as most people will begin to realise this is the reality.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Wilkins was not that much more successful than McGhee - or any other recent Brighton manager to be frank.

And that is an indisputable fact.

*logs off wanders off for a few days before logging back on to NSC*

Wilkins was not that much more successful than McGhee - or any other recent Brighton manager to be frank.

And that is an indisputable fact.

*logs off wanders off for a few days before logging back on to NSC*
More successful than Coppell (tho at a lower level)

Adams
Pld 125 Won 57 Drawn 34 Lost 34 Win %45.60

Taylor
Pld38 Won21 Drawn 11 Lost 6 Win% 55.26%

Coppell
Pld 49 Won 18 Drawn 17 Lost 14 Win% 36.73

McGhee
Pld 139 Won 40 Drawn 61 Lost 38 Win% 28.77

Wilkins
Pld 102 Won 39 Drawn 24 Lost 39 Win% 38.23

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think we all acknowledge that he was no great shakes as a manager, but everyone seems to have adopted the position that he was a great coach. I would disagree.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The thing that impressed me most about DW was the calibre of player he brought here. In just about every instance they were better, often by some margin than those they were brought in to replace. Not many recent managers can claim to have had as much quality in the team as we had by the end of last season. I'm watching with interest who MA brings in and who he replaces from DW's 1st choice team.

Maybe he just had a good eye for a player and players wanted to sign for him?? or should all the credit be going to Barry Lloyd for last season's signings?

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think we all acknowledge that he was no great shakes as a manager, but everyone seems to have adopted the position that he was a great coach. I would disagree.

What part of the 7th place did you find 'no great shakes' ??

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Perhaps we should just be saying he was excellent at developing young talent and leave it at that.:thumbsup:
What is that if not coaching? Does he wave his magic wand and make kids into footballers?

In Holland they say that only the best coaches should coach kids, once their 18 they shouldn't need any more coaching.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
What is that if not coaching? Does he wave his magic wand and make kids into footballers?
QUOTE]

So where does that leave throw-ins, corners, free kicks etc cause they sure aint tactics?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And who's job is it to perfect them on the training pitch - the coach of course.
QED

No.

It is up to the coach to decide which set plays he feels might be the most productive and of course choose the players he feels are most likely to execute the set piece successfully.

Any coach would be as frustrated as me and you if a player that executes any drill successfully on the training field and then doesnt on a match day.

It happens, but certainly not a barometer of any coaches ability.

Wilkins coaching credentials are widely viewed as exceptional within the game and that is the accolade that is critical to Wilkins future plans.

I find it irritating that because of some criticism by released players and DK struggle to offer thanks for his management last term that people have this view of Wilkins management style that ignores his obvious success's last term.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
No there set pieces, organised on the training pitch and executed by players in a match.

except at Brighton. It was a f***ing miracle if Cox or Robinson got the ball into the 18 yard box. I hope Adams puts his boot up their ass as their surrogate daddy is not here to protect them anymore.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Wilkins coaching credentials are widely viewed as exceptional within the game and that is the accolade that is critical to Wilkins future plans.

So from where exactly are these accolades coming? Its become almost a trite response on NSC "crap manager - great coach" as a nice way to praise a man who has given 20 years of his life to BHA.

The reality is that his coaching skills 'appear' to be lacking in many ways associated with the way the players should be applying themselves on the field.

His great skill in my eyes is not coaching, but the ability to mentor and develop the character of young players. As they mature (Cox etc) he appears to loose this Svengalian attribute

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
His substitutions would often baffle me.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Hmmm. Everyone - the players, board etc thinks so. Even released players like Mayo have said what a great coach he is. Still, I'm sure you know best :rolleyes:

So from where exactly are these accolades coming? Its become almost a trite response on NSC "crap manager - great coach" as a nice way to praise a man who has given 20 years of his life to BHA.

The reality is that his coaching skills 'appear' to be lacking in many ways associated with the way the players should be applying themselves on the field.

His great skill in my eyes is not coaching, but the ability to mentor and develop the character of young players. As they mature (Cox etc) he appears to loose this Svengalian attribute

Every match, there are at least 5,000 'managers' in the stands, and NSC is packed with GREAT managers who would never lose a match, all the subs would turn the game into a win, and every kick and throw would yield an inspiring attack.

Yeah, that's it, that's what would happen. :nono:

I see Kuipers kicking improved, the style and spirit of the team improved too, under Wilkins.

No doubt Uncle C would have managed a virtual revolution of Clough-at-Forest proportions, had he not missed his calling :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here