Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wardy coming for march

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
From today's Argus:

Albion legend supports stadium bid
by Rob Hustwayte

The most popular player in Brighton and Hove Albion history will travel thousands of miles to take part in Monday's march for Falmer.

Seventies goalscoring sensation and Albion legend Peter Ward has lived in Tampa Bay, Florida, since the end of his playing career in 1989.

He told The Argus: "I'm coming back just for the march. It's a long journey but it will be worth it. It's the least I can do to try and help the club."

Ward won a landslide 49 per cent of the vote and coasted into The Argus's all-time Albion dream team this summer.

The striker's budding talent was unleashed on March 27, 1976, in a game at Hereford United.

And what a start it was.

In front of the Match of the Day cameras, he scored after only 50 seconds of a 1-1 draw.

A hero to Seagulls fans of a certain age, the centre forward scored 95 goals in 227 appearances between 1976 and 1983.

In the 1976/77 season he scored a record 36 goals and netted 37 times for Brighton in the old first division.

Speaking from his home in Florida, Ward said: "I can't wait to come back. I'm delighted I got in the Albion dream team. I love the Brighton fans and it's a real honour.

"I feel very strongly that the club must have this stadium to survive.

"It it was in the States it would have been built years ago and the club would be getting 20,000 a game.

"Over here we have magnificent sporting facilities and most of them are not only given the go-ahead by the state, they are funded by the state.

"We used to fill the Goldstone with 32,000 to 33,000 at home games and that was a long time ago and we were playing in division three.

"There is no doubt, with the right facilities, Albion would be a massive club .

"With that extra money, they could really invest in players and in three to five years they would be challenging for the Premiership.

"I've been to Withdean a few times. Big clubs like Leeds must think it's a joke when they step off the coach."

Ward will be joined by former team-mate Gary Stevens and former Albion manager Micky Adams at Monday's march.

The club is hoping to persuade at least 5,000 fans to meet at the Sea Life Centre at 5.30pm.

It is the final chance to remind John Prescott of the massive public backing for the 22,000-seat stadium plan.

The Deputy Prime Minister will give his final verdict before October 31.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ah yes, but how many of us had the pleasure of seeing him play ?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
bhaexpress said:

At 46 years old, I certainly did.

The word 'Legend' is often over-used but for Albion fans, Peter Ward is totally deserving of it.

His goals propelled us into the top flight and gave me some of my best memories as an Albion fan

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the great advantages of being 48 is being able to say "I saw Peter Ward play" During his time at Brighton I was young free and single and went to 95% of the games home and away. Those few seasons culminating in promotion to the top division were the best times of my life football-wise. It's a purely personal viewpoint but nothing this club has done since then can match that for me and probably never will.

The Great Cornholio put some clips up a while back that showed a glimpse of what we used to see week in week out. (Ok he had the odd bad or anonymous game but I've forgotten those).

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
A true legend, great to see that he still loves the club after all this time.

Yes I did see him play, hundreds of times! Yes I am another old git!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Trigger said:
Ah yes, but how many of us had the pleasure of beating him at pool?...

He's such a bad loser :D

I might not have beaten a legend like Wardy, but I did beat Davey Jones of Monkees fame once! Probably because he was too busy believing his daydreams!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Great to see he's come back - I wonder if any other former players will appear as well? Would be nice to see some of them turn out.

And Wardy thinks we could be a "massive club", which we know is true. Crowds of 6K per match is a joke for us, we should be filling stadiums - we always used to, and I think we could again. The potential fan base for the Albion has always been huge, and hopefully Prescott's office will give us the chance to prove it.

Dandyman

In London village.
bhaexpress said:

As one on those who started going to Albion games toward the end of the 1975/76 season, I did. Have to to say I am still dealing with the level of expectation the 1976-79 era gave me. :D

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
bhaexpress said:

i certainly did, started going to the goldstone in 74/75 season
(another old ghet) :wave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
bhaexpress said:

Even worse, how many are like me.
1st few Albion matches I saw coinsided with PW's last few.
Being of a young age I can't really remember the details, so I only have the programmes to prove I saw him, alas not the memories.

Sometimes short term memory loss is a right pooh-bum.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
All this fuss because I am coming to the march? :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here