Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Volunteering in Preston Park

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Does anyone fancy giving a few hours of their time on a Thursday morning to join my small team of existing volunteers and help maintain the flower beds in Preston Park?
We usually do from 10am to 12pm, all tools are provided as is any training needed.

Works usually involves weeding, dead heading, pruning and anything else needed to maintain the herbaceous borders along the front of Preston Park and in between the tennis courts.
It's a lovely opportunity to meet new people, increase fitness and hopefully learn a bit more about gardening.

Meet at the Rockery chalet just before 10am on Thursday and we can have a quick chat. Unfortunately we don't usually work in the rain.

Hope to see you there

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Was rather annoyed not to be able to eat lunch in Preston Park due to that fact it's ALREADY 😡 closed off for Pride, which isn't until Sat, wtf.
However, I ate my Scotch egg and Coronation chicken sandwich in the Rockery opposite (never really been in there tbf) and was delighted to see a tiny Jenny Wren in amongst the lovely foliage, a small bird I've not seen for years. Always reminds me of my mum.

Marvellous to see such nature in central Brighton.

Just something positive to say after the human horrors of reading about yesterdays knife attack and that (alleged) scum Huw Edwards.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The rose garden is lovely, as is the Rock Garden on the other side of Preston Road.

It seems the closure of most of the Park for Pride gets longer every year. It was definitely closed on Sunday night and doesn't reopen until 9 August. While the Council Parks Department benefits financially, it's a pain in the arse for local residents, in the school holidays with good weather. When the 00s of new flats open up, there'll be even more pressure on the Park.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Over the last 25 years of looking after the Rockery, i've always tried to encourage as much wildlife as possible into the garden. I've built up slowly and now, with the planting and re-wilding areas, we're starting to get a lovely diverse amount of insects, birds and mammals.

I couldn't of done this without the help and advice of @Jack Straw who, despite being retired for 7 years, is still my harshest critic (even if i don't take any notice of him)

Loving the garden more and more each day

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was rather annoyed not to be able to eat lunch in Preston Park due to that fact it's ALREADY 😡 closed off for Pride, which isn't until Sat, wtf.
However, I ate my Scotch egg and Coronation chicken sandwich in the Rockery opposite (never really been in there tbf) and was delighted to see a tiny Jenny Wren in amongst the lovely foliage, a small bird I've not seen for years. Always reminds me of my mum.

Just something positive to say after the human horrors of reading about yesterday’s knife attack and that (alleged) scum Huw Edwards.
I do apologise but that line did make me chuckle. Unintentional I know. Sorry 😃

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Over the last 25 years of looking after the Rockery, i've always tried to encourage as much wildlife as possible into the garden. I've built up slowly and now, with the planting and re-wilding areas, we're starting to get a lovely diverse amount of insects, birds and mammals.

I couldn't of done this without the help and advice of @Jack Straw who, despite being retired for 7 years, is still my harshest critic (even if i don't take any notice of him)

Loving the garden more and more each day
I see you've dug out those Ash seedlings! :giggle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here