Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virus phone scam

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
This is driving me nuts, had 3 phone calls this week alone about it, tell them to f*** of and i know about the scam, even asked for there caller number and then explained i new it was a scam and she said "yes thats why i gave you a fake number"

how can i get these to stop

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't answer withheld numbers, if its important they will leave a message

This is the key point. I never answer a number I do not recognize, and yes, if it is really important they will leave a message or get in touch some other way.

Next call I get on the landline that purports to being from Microsoft telling me I have a virus, I think I will ask the caller to examine their conscience and if that when they did their English degree in India did they think they would be using it in this way?... I may ask the callers religion and how that religion would view this kind of scam.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My dad phoned me about this yesterday, he's been getting calls all week. Unfortunately for the young chap who phoned him last, he got a bit of stick. My dad is your stereotypical angry older gentleman and when he is in the mood, he can really go for it. On a phone, atleast.

I got a call from them on my mobile last week, which was amusing. I don't mind those calls, 90% are extreme spam but every now and then you might get something of interest.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I get these calls. If it's a woman I tell her I've got a hard on and fancy a blow job - that makes them hang up. If it's a bloke i just tell him to eff off.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Tell them to hold on a sec, then just walk away. They normally hang up after 5 minutes.
Alternatively, tell them to please stay on the line while you start the call trace. That sometimes works :)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the key point. I never answer a number I do not recognize
I get withheld number from people I want to speak to.
Next call I get on the landline that purports to being from Microsoft telling me I have a virus, I think I will ask the caller to examine their conscience and if that when they did their English degree in India did they think they would be using it in this way?... I may ask the callers religion and how that religion would view this kind of scam.
I like this, but they'll just hang up.
Buying a whistle will probably work best
You can get prosecuted for that, as you could injure the other person.
Tell them to hold on a sec, then just walk away. They normally hand up aftewr 5 minutes.
I like this idea.

Spiritualised

Jul 30, 2010
My wife does not like to be rude to anyone, she always just says ' that sounds great, I'm on the other line, I'll just put you on hold' , not many wait very long.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

This. I don't even answer if it displays a number that I don't recognise.

Alternatively, if you have the time and inclination, waste as much of their time as possible by keeping them talking for as long as you possibly can without giving them any of the information they are after. I once kept a cold call salesman on the phone for about half an hour feigning interest in buying a conservatory. He wasn't too impressed when I finally gave my address as First Floor flat.... :lolol:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I keep hearing about this scam but as of yet have never been called myself.

I have TWO mobiles because I am a geek, and whilst I regularly get spammy text messages about getting compensation for accidents or payment protection insurance I never seem to get any calls from folk who try it on.

Nobody wants to talk to me

:(

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham

Unfortunatly my work comes up as withheld so I have to answer that but I never answer ones that say international as I don't know anybody who would be calling me from abroad. I like the idea of saying i don't have a computer best, that should put them off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here