Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Tivo

Can anyone let me know how the Virgin Tivo box compares to sky+hd.My sky box is playing up so I am considering moving to Virgin to take advantage of their six month half-price deal.I would also move my phone and broadband and would really appreciate any advice from someone who has tried Virgin or both.Thanks.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can anyone let me know how the Virgin Tivo box compares to sky+hd.My sky box is playing up so I am considering moving to Virgin to take advantage of their six month half-price deal.I would also move my phone and broadband and would really appreciate any advice from someone who has tried Virgin or both.Thanks.

I recently switched from Sky+HD to Virgin Tivo and think it's bloody fantastic. A true 30mb internet connection ( 1.5mb with Sky ), IPlayer etc straight to the TV without having to plug in a PC, YouTube straight to the TV, Tivo "learns" what you like and auto-records other programmes it thinks you might enjoy. Quite frankly I wouldn't go back to Sky even if THEY paid me. Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
We've had one since they launched the half terabyte version. It's pretty good, the recommendations and wishlist features are pretty ace. The lack of red button puts a lot of people off though (I don't particularly miss it, but I reckon if you're a tennis fan or summit then it'd be a pain) as well as the fact there's no reminder function. (I never used this either so it doesn't bother me, but I think a lot of people did because there's been a lot of moaning on the virgin media forums. The three tuners are ace though and Youtube on the TV is pretty good too. There ARE a few bugs, especially if you don't have a 1080i TV where the upscaling is supposedly pretty poor on those and listening to recorded radio is rubbish if you need to pause (it can't start itself again and fast forward doesn't work for radio) but a lto of these are being fixed in the next major update that will be "before christmas"

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the replies.I think I`ll give it a go then.Do you know if I will have to change my landline number?Anyway, I like to try new things in life(as long as the wife doesn`t catch me)

You can keep your current number but you may have to wait a little longer for the install as they need to apply for the number from your current supplier.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
We've got Virgin HD at the moment - how does the price of TiVO compare?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We've got Virgin HD at the moment - how does the price of TiVO compare?

Not really sure to be honest as I've got mates rates. £41 per month for 30mb internet, unlimited free phone and top TV package ( without premium channels such as Sky Sports ). Plus an additional V+ box. I think that comes in at around £65 at normal rates. Good thing is that Virgin still own the boxes so don't charge you for repair unlike Sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here