Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente faces a battle to get back in - By Andy Naylor

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think I'd only play Vicente at home if I was Gus. Maybe the odd away game if it's a really big game. We have the players for him to not have to play every game, and he'd probably be more effective if he only had to play every couple of weeks.
If he only plays every couple of weeks, it would be good to mix it up home and away to make it harder for the opposition to prepare for him. For them to know when he'll play wouldn't help.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If he only plays every couple of weeks, it would be good to mix it up home and away to make it harder for the opposition to prepare for him. For them to know when he'll play wouldn't help.

True, but I rarely get to away games anymore, so I prefer my system.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think I'd only play Vicente at home if I was Gus. Maybe the odd away game if it's a really big game. We have the players for him to not have to play every game, and he'd probably be more effective if he only had to play every couple of weeks.

I appreciate from your later comment, that this is partly toungue in cheek but as someone who sees more away than home games, I don't think you are far wrong. For all Vicente's superstar performances at the AMEX, he has a habit of going missing away from home - certainly not the same player who demands and drives play. At the back end of last year I increased my AMEX visits to find out what all the fuss was about. Away at Burnley is exactly the type of game I'd expect a below average performance.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I appreciate from your later comment, that this is partly toungue in cheek but as someone who sees more away than home games, I don't think you are far wrong. For all Vicente's superstar performances at the AMEX, he has a habit of going missing away from home - certainly not the same player who demands and drives play. At the back end of last year I increased my AMEX visits to find out what all the fuss was about. Away at Burnley is exactly the type of game I'd expect a below average performance.

And away at Burnley last season he was very average.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I think so. I'd maybe play him away at the big grounds against the decent footballing sides with the nice pitches, but Burnley is exactly the kind of place I'd leave him at home.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Our away tactics were awful last season so any attacking players would struggle,saying that i don't see vicente playing all that much this season as i think he's just seriously injury prone now,gus said he was the fittest he's ever been just before he got injured again.

A sub appearance is goner be about it this season:)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Our away tactics were awful last season so any attacking players would struggle,saying that i don't see vicente playing all that much this season as i think he's just seriously injury prone now,gus said he was the fittest he's ever been just before he got injured again.

A sub appearance is goner be about it this season:)

Based on what?

I would have thought that after he made a lot of people look stupid last season, the Vicente doubters would have left it more than two weeks into the season before they started slating him again.

What about Buckley? He hasn't played once yet, Vicente has played twice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Away at Burnley is exactly the type of game I'd expect a below average performance.
And away at Burnley last season he was very average.
He was decent away at Ipswich wasn't he. Not sure about other away games. I'm sure Gus will pick and choose, depending on his fitness, the pitch, the opposition etc.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest, he didn't look anything specia at Swindon (my first glimpse of ther great man) - but Shirley he's a winger and needs to be played on the wing...............................would love to see us starting with Vicente and Buckley!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't believe it, bloody certain Gus would have him starting as often as he could otherwise why frog march him back from the sun? The stat of not winning is just a quirky coincidence. Still think there's a possibility he will just work his ticket out of here, hope I'm wrong, without him we have a super big hole in the team

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can see the thought behind rationing Vicente's appearances to the Amex and selected away games. He might be wasted at Burnley, in the lesser Cup games and especially in some of those grim mid week games up north on a freezing February night when he is more likely to get injured. On the other hand he was virtually the only Albion player to turn up at Portman Road and looked like bossing the midfield at Forest until he got fed up looking for non-existant support. I think he got subbed in most away games except Barnsley where he looked really pissed off anyway. I really thought that would be the last sighting of him in an Albion shirt.

It is a shame Vicente wasn't fit for our first three league games of this season - he would have enjoyed playing on the perfect pitches with the hot sun on his back or warm evening games at this time of the season, plus I think we would have won all three. Instead Gus played him at Swindon.........which rather proves the point.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Our record when Vicente STARTS has been atrocious, for whatever reason, more probably to do with the psychology of the rest of the team rather Vicente himself. Although could be purely coincidence.

However, what was Vicente's best performance for the club? V Pompey - he came off the bench and absolutely raped them for 30mins.

So for that reason, I would not be fussed if we had a fit(ish) Vicente on the bench for the next few games, because he can make one hell of an impact sub.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here