Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente faces a battle to get back in - By Andy Naylor

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Vicente faces a battle to get back in - By Andy Naylor

ALBION boss Gus Poyet has admitted it could be difficult for Vicente to make a quick return to the team.

The Seagulls beat Barnsley 5-1 at The Amex on Saturday without their sidelined Spanish star.

Poyet has named the same starting line-up for all three Championship outings so far, a pattern which is likely to continue at Burnley on Saturday.

Vicente is due to return to training today with the rest of the squad.

An inflamed thigh tendon has restricted the former Valencia playmaker to a brief late substitute appearance against Cardiff since Albion lost at Swindon in the Capital One Cup in their opening game of the season.

Winger Will Buckley, yet to play this season because of hamstring trouble, is also scheduled to resume training today but it will be tough for Poyet to leave anyone out after such a convincing first win of the campaign against Barnsley.

He said: “It’s going to be difficult. I repeated the same team for three games, because I thought they deserved it.

“I was already thinking if we didn’t win I was going to have to start moving the players around, because you cannot go all the season without winning with the same players.

“There are a few that have put themselves in the team but it’s a totally different game, so we need to analyse what is best for us.”

Oddly, Albion have not won any of the last eight matches started by the classy Vicente, including a 1-0 defeat at Burnley in April.

Burnley are at home to Plymouth Argyle in the Capital One Cup tonight.​

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
we need to put Saturday into Persepctive. Barnsley were shite, complete tripe. My local sunday team would have won by at least 2. Is our strongest team with or without the master?
I would have him in the squad and hopefully Buckley back as well.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I wouldn't take him to Burnley, its too depressing. Let him have a rest/holiday then unleash him in a couple of weeks against Sheffield Weds

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same starting eleven but with Vicente and Buckley on the bench we are a much stronger team

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Can see where the story has come from as the team played so well on Saturday, but it was just ONE game against poor opposition. I doubt he would need a massive fight to get back into the team at all, he more has to fight these "niggles".

Although when Vicente starts, we dont win - hmmm......

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think that when Vicente plays, every player tries to use him. That means that when he's on, he has a hell of alot to do, thats probably why we have a poor record when he plays. I think it would be better to bring him off the bench for the last 30 minutes, meaning he is fresh and everybody does more.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Team wins 5-1 and the manager is reluctant to change it! - gasp shock. There is not a story here. GP has already said he wouldn#'t make the same mistake of playing an unfit Vicente, as he did last season. if he's not 100% than GP is not going to turn to him

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Thats one way to put a spin on things i suppose.Maybe deflects from the fact he appears to pick up these niggles and why change a winning side..Good spin.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
we need to put Saturday into Persepctive. Barnsley were shite, complete tripe. My local sunday team would have won by at least 2. Is our strongest team with or without the master?
I would have him in the squad and hopefully Buckley back as well.

can't agree, that very same side put in very convincing performances against cardiff and hull. While i think its OBVIOUS that we would be a better side with vicente in (if he is in midfield, not up front...), the team that played barnsley were not just flattered by a poor barnsley side, they were very good against two very good sides as well.

IMO, i think until 100% fit we should leave him on the bench and use him in the last 30 minutes of the game, when he makes the most impact. Tired defenders have NO CHANCE against vicente.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
After last season's match at Turf Moor and the Burnley fans calling us a disgrace - I well and truly hope we batter them this year

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Team wins 5-1 and the manager is reluctant to change it! - gasp shock. There is not a story here. GP has already said he wouldn#'t make the same mistake of playing an unfit Vicente, as he did last season and against Cardiff a week ago. if he's not 100% than GP is not going to turn to him

Corrected.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Vicente and Buckley pick up injuries so need to be managed carefully. Noone has done enough to warrant another start and KLL is the logical replacement for Noone in the final quarter of the match. I'd start with the same XI as Saturday.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Vicente and Buckley pick up injuries so need to be managed carefully. Noone has done enough to warrant another start and KLL is the logical replacement for Noone in the final quarter of the match. I'd start with the same XI as Saturday.

Agree with that.

Hopefully Poyet's team selection is better this week, than when we lost at Burnley towards the end of last season.

If I remember correctly, he played TWO up front, and NO WINGERS (with KLL, Noone and Buckley all on the bench)

Vicente played, was poor to average, and moaned every time he was tackled.

I'd start the same 11, with Buckley and Vicente on the bench for Barker and Toby.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know we didn't score against Swindon and Hull but I noticed on saturday how Noone and the full-backs were hugging the touchline, stretching play and thereby creating space.

Now that we have Bruno and Bridge out wide we don't need to play 2 wingers to get the same "width" effect. Over time that should benefit the strikers; last season we didn't get enough crosses in, and there were precious few through-balls too. This season I feel we'll create more chances.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Vicente can get himself dressed, he's in.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think I'd only play Vicente at home if I was Gus. Maybe the odd away game if it's a really big game. We have the players for him to not have to play every game, and he'd probably be more effective if he only had to play every couple of weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here