Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very dissapointed by the xmas parties.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes I know they are free, but the selection of players available for signings was pathetic, at my 7pm party there was only really one regular first teamer, Calderon. Then you had a Dicker and Bridcutt, who are just about first team, and the rest were all reserves at best. I can identify the majority of the team but I didnt have a clue who most of the people were from the development squad and it was obvious none of the kids did either, they are there to see the likes of Murray, Barnes, Bennett, Greer e.t.c, not some nobody from the development squad who has made the bench once.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Yes, they are free.

They've also taken place on a day when the roads around Mid Sussex are a bit of a nightmare.

Chances are more of the players from further away came to the first session.

If your kid is that gutted, just wait around in the Sportsman car park before/after games or something and meet some of the players that way.

But given that you've just named 4 of our current starting lineup, I'm not sure what on earth you're on about.

Jesus wept.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In previous years all of the first team squad have been there so would suggest that it is down to either the weather or splitting it up so that all didnt have to attend all 3 parties.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Dicker not first team? Bridcutt not first team? Remind me, which two players helped to completely DESTROY Peterborough? You sir are being a prize cock.

neither is a guarenteed name on the sheet every single week are they, and really, last year the entire first team was there, this year, one, arguably 3 were, sorry but is not on really, the kids turned up expecting to see the bennetts and murrays of the squad, not the kazims and hiders or whatever youth teamers there were there.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Yes, "it's not on", the club laying on a free event involving some first team regulars and some squad players, to the THOUSANDS of kids who have got a free membership to the junior seagulls, which includes tickets for matches and in some cases shirts and other goodies I believe.

Sometimes I wonder why they bother.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Wouldn't say many are guaranteed a first team place, Dicker has started more games than Murray so you could argue he isn't a first teamer by your criteria

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
has dicker missed a league game this season? i dont think he has,so how much more of a regular do you want?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes, "it's not on", the club laying on a free event involving some first team regulars and some squad players, to the THOUSANDS of kids who have got a free membership to the junior seagulls, which includes tickets for matches and in some cases shirts and other goodies I believe.

Sometimes I wonder why they bother.

me neither, because the players obviously havnt, last year, you had the entire squad, plus gus and tanno, thats was something like 18-19 people, this year we had 9, and I couldnt even identify half of them.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I didnt stand for the signatures tonight, as it just takes forever and there is other stuff the 8 year old wanted to do.
But you cant expect them all to turn up everytime. As someone said its not ideal travel conditions at the moment.

We really enjoyed ourselves as ever

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

darkcore1977

May 18, 2009
haywards heath
Well i also went at seven tonight and it was poor compared to last season when all were there. My son was looking forward all day at meeting Mr poyet to say thanks for Charlton and Peterborough away.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just got back with my two young boys and they loved it. They saw some footballers, got some autographs, had a hot dog and generally had a great time. We attended the 7 pm session. Well done the club and thank you.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It's the first time in over a decade that we've not been.

What appears to have happened here is that the Seagulls Club has grown SO MUCH in that time that things have had to change. Even last year pretty much all the players were there (think there were only two time slots not three) but the players had still been there for about 5 hours, and if it's now three parties that would have meant 7 or 8 hours, plus training in the morning plus travelling etc.

When we started going it was in a pretty small room in the Brighton Centre, 50-80 kids max, then it moved to the Bowling Centre at the Marina but now the club has (I believe) over 10,000 members and the club have probably taken the decision to 'split' the players and have 4 or 5 regular first teamers at each one.

Shame, but not wholly surprising.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
You can GUARANTEE that if the club got hit by a Flu epidemic in the next few weeks after the whole squad were at all the parties, there would be plenty on here criticising the club for not 'looking after them' and protecting them from the great unwashed.

To be honest, my kids, weren't too fussed that the players there tonight weren't all first team regulars. They just see 'players' rather than the details of how many minutes they've spent on the pitch this season and LOVE the fact that they have taken the time to sit there, sign autographs and pose for dozens of photographs.

Good work by the club, players, Gullys Gang and all others involved.

:clap2:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
has dicker missed a league game this season? i dont think he has,so how much more of a regular do you want?

All competitions (We have played 25 games)
Dicker (20 starts, three subs, total of 23, 1916mins). The two he missed were both FC united games
Bridcutt has started 10 and been a sub in 6, 921mins
Calderon has made 23 appearances, all starts, 2100 mins.

Murray (19 starts, 4 subs, total 23 appearances, 1635mins)
Barnes (21 starts, 1 sub, total 22 appearances, 1758mins)
Bennett (23 starts, 1 sub, total 24, 2102mins)
Greer (11 starts, 0 subs, total 11, 965mins)

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The players were split into 3 groups for the 3 parties. My boy and his mate (7 and 8) both loved it, my son is Albion through and through, his mate joined gullys gang in September and now supports the Albion instead of being a Liverpool "fan". With fewer players who weren't there for all of the parties I thought they seemed happier and had more time to chat to the kids (and parents!) than last year. For a free event put on by the club I thought it was great, and it was fantastic to see so many kids in albion shirts - these are the future support of our club and it is good to see the club putting something of this scale on (3 parties for 800 kids each party).

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
It's the first time in over a decade that we've not been.

What appears to have happened here is that the Seagulls Club has grown SO MUCH in that time that things have had to change. Even last year pretty much all the players were there (think there were only two time slots not three) but the players had still been there for about 5 hours, and if it's now three parties that would have meant 7 or 8 hours, plus training in the morning plus travelling etc.

When we started going it was in a pretty small room in the Brighton Centre, 50-80 kids max, then it moved to the Bowling Centre at the Marina but now the club has (I believe) over 10,000 members and the club have probably taken the decision to 'split' the players and have 4 or 5 regular first teamers at each one.

Shame, but not wholly surprising.

is that right? that is fantastic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here