Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Verbruggen hopeful of Euros starts

Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen has expressed his hopes of fulfilling his dream of playing in a major tournament with the Netherlands this summer.

Speaking to ESPN, as reported by Voetbal Primeur, Verbruggen discussed his aspirations following his inclusion in the Netherlands’ preliminary squad for Euro 2024.

Verbruggen is among several goalkeepers under consideration by Ronald Koeman, alongside Justin Bijlow, Mark Flekken, and Nick Olij.

Over the past few months, Verbruggen has emerged as the first choice for Brighton after a close competition with Flekken for the position, especially during Bijlow's injury absence. He appeared to secure the top spot by starting in four consecutive European qualifiers against France, Greece, Ireland, and Gibraltar. Although he was benched against Scotland, he returned to play against Germany in March.

His consistent selection for crucial matches indicates that Koeman currently favors him as the primary goalkeeper, and Verbruggen is hopeful this trend will continue, leading to his participation in Euro 2024.

“I am always very proud to be here, but a finals tournament is, of course, something that stays with you after your career,” he said.

“Those are the things you dream about. So maybe it’s an extra touch of excitement to be here.

“I hope so, of course. I am ready. If you have been in goal in the last four qualifying matches, you at least have a good chance.

“It would of course be a disappointment if you are not on the field; that applies to everyone here. I feel like I’m in good shape, so I hope I’m number one.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here