Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Venice

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Has anyone ever been, any recommendations? Horror stories? Me and the missus are planning a short break sometime in March and Venice seems to be favourite. I have visions of getting horribly lost and falling into the water after a few too many glasses of vino.

How easy is it to get from the airport to the actual main city of Venice itself?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's a fantastic place, I'd recommend seeing if there's any exhibitions on that you fancy whilst you're there.

Oh and also remortgage your house! It's not that bad if you stick to the pizzerias etc of the main tourist routes but around the Square absolutely ridiculous.

Also buy a map, it's very easy to lose your way off the beaten path.

Getting there is a sinch, off the plane and on to a small power boat.

DanielT

5 minute walk outside the airport to where water buses and water taxis are.
If it's your first time, and you're aiming for romance, get the taxi. I think it was 50 euro but the entry to Venice is so much better when you're not crammed in with 30 others and have made a few stops on the way. Taxi takes you straight to your hotel.

Murano is worth at least half a day.

Do go up the tower in st Mark's square. Don't get ripped off with the coffee at the cafe there though.

3/4 days leaves you wanting to return

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It all depends on budget and time of year.

My own recommendations are to get a water taxi from the airport (assuming you're going to venice marco polo rather than treviso). It is the ONLY way to arrive in venice.

My own favourite hotel is the Savoia & Jolanda which is on the man front just along from St Marks Square. It is right next door to the Londres and Danielli hotels which repute to have the best locations so you get the views but at about half the price.

Things to do - well St marks square and belfy, The basilica (with the distorted marble floors where the mud flats are moving), the Doges Palace are all must do's. Get a gondola (but either hire a group one with others from the Rialto bridge or hire a private one for two from a backwater if costs are a concern).

Take a trip up the grand canal. At the far end near the railway station you will get fab food and drink for a fraction of the price.

Visit the 3 islands of Burano (lace making is the speciality), Murano (visit the glassworks and see glass blowing) and Torcello (the oldest inhabited island in the venice lagoon)

Take a hop over the venice lido if the weather is good and walk along the beach. Also visit Santa Maria del Salute on the other side of the grand canal opposite St marks.

Finally a visit to harry's bar for 1930's decandence. Dont wear shorts or t shirts but have a bellini (Peach juice and prosecco) where it was invented.

You can eat very well with the set 6 course menus in the old antica restaurants in the back streets. An evening one will set you back about 40 euros each including house wine.

Albion Rob

I found Venice to be one of those places that actually lives up to the hype. Really interesting place and when you wander around at night it's easy to imagine how things were hundreds of years previously.

We found that it's fairly easy to get off the beaten track and have a great wander around the neighbourhoods (we ended up exploring the Jewish quarter) but then to get back onto the tourist trail pretty quickly.

Agree about prices, things seems really dear at the main tourist spots but if you get away from the main bits and are happy with pizza your wallet won't suffer too much. That said, a posh meal in Venice is a real treat.

You can get a power boat from the airport, which is pretty cool but also pretty expensive. They also do coaches much cheaper and they take about 30-45 mins to get to the bus station which is relatively close to the train station, right on the Grand Canal.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Too many bloody tourists

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I honestly thought it was shite.

Went in bleak January for 4 days. Place was bloody closed...and freezing and it didn't stop raining once.

Hotel was shite and dirty. Food was shite. Beer was expensive and shite.

Had catastrophic row with lady Sausage.

The 'sights' are alright but everything else shite.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Just make sure you take lots of money! I went on a day trip there with my ex whilst on holiday at Lake Garda and we couldn’t really afford to do anything. After spending a few hours walking around and exploring, we ended up just sitting in the shade counting down the minutes until we could get the boat home. We were both pretty poor though and hadn’t budgeted for just how expensive it was going to be.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Great place;have a good time!
Excellent advice from previous posters,so can't really add to it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Too many daytrippers/cruise goers that do not help to support the hotel/restaurants, Venice would be much nicer if you stopped all the Americans on cruises.

March shouldnt be too bad. The tip I always give for those going in may, june, early july and late august is try and get up early and get out and about before the cruise ships dock. eat and drink and bimble away from the main island during the day and get back mid afternoon as the cruise ships leave.

For those planning on going late july and early august, I suggest not going if you are less than tolerant as it will be hot, heaving and full of the atmospheric aroma that only a canal in high summer can give you

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
Went there on my honeymoon just over a year ago and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Danielli which cost the earth but was worth it for the service levels and the breakfast at the top of the hotel.

I'd definitely recommend the Doges Palace, Harry's Bar (expensive) and it'a also worth hanging out at the Rialto Bridge even though it can get pretty crowded. I agree with all the other posts regarding food & drink in the main squares duck in to the backstreets and find little pizza outlets, tasty & great value.

A gondola ride is a must but really haggle. The starting price we were quoted was £100 for a 30 minute ride, we got one of the guys down to £55.

You'll do a fair amount of walking so you'll sleep well!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's FULL of tourists and really expensive. But there's nowhere else like it.
A boat tour is a must and spend a good day or two exploring, it's a fair size so expect to be walking quite a lot.

Other than that, take a camera, eat just off the main streets (cheaper) and get the train there from the airport.

Done.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I went to Venice in March and thought it was fantastic. I got pretty lucky with the weather, it was about 20 degrees without a cloud in the sky and as ROSM said it is a good time of the year to visit because the tourist level is manageable. I was only there for a day and a night as it was part of a coach tour so I'd love to go back and see everything. Doing a Gondola ride is well worth it but you'll spend the rest of the time doing a lot of walking, I actually found it quite fun to aimlessly wander around finding all sorts of dead ends and going round in circles.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Been many times, my favourite city in the world, and I've been to a few.

When you arrive, go to the tourist counter at the airport (presuming you're arriving at Marco Polo) and get a multi day travelcard, I believe they're called 'hellovenezia' card, this will cost 33 Euros for 72 hours or 50 euros for a week.

With this card, you can travel on all the actv vaporetto services around the Islands Murano, Burano, Torcello ect as well as up and down the Grand Canal. It is also valid for the number 5 bus that goes from the airport to Piazzale Roma where you pick up a vaporetto.

re accomodation. I always stay on the Lido, 10 minutes from St Marks Square, much quieter and better value.

Do visit the fish and vegetable market by the Rialto Bridge.

Enjoy yourself, it's all very romantic

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
A boat tour is a must and spend a good day or two exploring, it's a fair size so expect to be walking quite a lot.

Other than that, take a camera, eat just off the main streets (cheaper) and get the train there from the airport.

I don't think there's a rail connection from the airport, just the number 5 bus, water taxis (extortionate) alaguna ferry service

Not much to add to the above posts. The islands are a must, and the Church on the opposite side of the Grand Canal is well worth a visit - I recall it actually had a lift up to the top, you got a great view of St Mark's and it is cheaper.

Unfortunately it was flooded when we went and you couldn't cross the road without getting a boat, hopefully they will have it sorted in time for your visit.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I don't think there's a rail connection from the airport, just the number 5 bus, water taxis (extortionate) alaguna ferry service

Ah sorry, I got the train into Venice from a town just outside. Assumed one would go from the airport.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
fantastic place been twice the history achitecture everything you see is either a work of art and or has a fantastic story not cheap but fantastic enjoy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here