Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vaughan Playing on Wednesday

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Vaughan could make Melbourne Test

Ashes-winning captain Michael Vaughan will play in a one-day match with England's Academy side on Wednesday - his first action since June.

And he aims to return to action for England in time for the fourth Test in Melbourne, which begins on Boxing Day.

Vaughan has not played a Test since injuring his knee last November.

"So far the rehab has gone really well and I'm quietly confident that within a month or so I would be available for selection," he told the Guardian.

Vaughan was present for the first Test defeat in Brisbane, where he undertook both batting and fielding practice.

His playing comeback will come against Western Australia 2nd XI in Perth.

"How my knee reacts to cricket and games, and spending a day in the field, only time will tell," he said.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would expect Flintoff would hand the armband back - a great honour, but I am sure he would be more than happy to concentrate on his batting and bowling.

Edit: Ignore that - Mr Buck is correct!

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
oh great, another player coming back from a long injury and being rushed into the side....may aswell get the GOD Simon Jones in aswell :rolleyes:

Suppose his influence & tactics/strategy will count for shit loads but that counts for nothing if he's not on form with the bat.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
<miserymode>
As we'll probably be 3-0 down it'll be academic anyway.
</miserymode>

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
I think it is a positive brave move, as I re-call he was not prolific with the bat during 2005, but lets not forget he does enjoy batting in Australia, smashed them all round the park last time over.

Experience is the key to keeping hold of the little urn, along with match winners such as Monty, Sir Flintoff, KP. Vaughan will bring balance to the side, nuture young heads, plus manage his key bowlers. - Problem is who do you drop? Bell and Collingwood seem to have proven their worths, Strauss, has experience, Cook - well he is the future but would we really want Vaughan at 2?

Harmisson is out of sorts, but who else can hit the deck like he does, in the tour party - no one! Bringing Vaughan back will allow Freddie to concentrate on what he does best - being an all rounder and not have to be worry about Harmy.

In conclusion I would drop Jones and play Vaughan as a wicket keeper batsman - thought I would end on a lighter note

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
I know, just not convinced that he captains and opens, but I always like to be proved wrong on these matters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We must forget Vaughan and stay focused on getting what fit players we have to perform well enough to at least stay in the contest until the 3rd test.

If we go into the Melbourne test 3-0 down there will be nothing to be gained by rushing Vaughan back.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
I agree in part that we should focus on the here and now, but to forget about the best captain in test cricket is somewhat suicidal surely? When he could make an impact to the series, even if we as everyone predicts going to be 3-0 down.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Artful Ninga said:
I agree in part that we should focus on the here and now, but to forget about the best captain in test cricket is somewhat suicidal surely? When he could make an impact to the series, even if we as everyone predicts going to be 3-0 down.

If we were to be 3-0 down, there is still benefit to him coming back as the competitive cricket will be of use to him with the World Cup coming up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re suicidal - if you're 3-NIL down you're already dead.

Secondly, Collingwood is undroppable - he almost got a ton in the 1st Test and he's England best fielder by far. Cook would get the chop first.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Re suicidal - if you're 3-NIL down you're already dead.

Secondly, Collingwood is undroppable - he almost got a ton in the 1st Test and he's England best fielder by far. Cook would get the chop first.

I like Collingwood in the side, he has in a way replaced Thorpe and given some grit to the line up. However it tends to be between him and Bell for one spot (as it was this series until Trescothick went home). Cook at present is not under threat, he has got some big scores since he came into the side during the series in India. The question regarding Cook if Vaughan is back this series is whether to retain him as an opener or move him to three and let Vaughan open.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cook is a talented player but then so was Atherton in his first Ashes series. That did not stop the Aussies steamrollering him because his time had not yet come. Ditto Ian Bell in 2005.

I would fully expect Collingwood to score more runs than Cook in this series and am not surprised at Colly's great knock in the 2nd inns - this IS his time.

Unlike bowling, with batting there is no substitute for experience in an Ashes series, which is why I would have preferred to see Owais Shah rather than Ed Joyce as a back-up batsman.

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
Western Australia XI scored 218-8 in their innings in the one-day game and England were reduced to 8-3. ooops

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here