Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vatican Requests 1,500-Year-Old Bible Held In Turkey

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The Vatican has allegedly issued an official request to examine a 1,500-year-old Bible that has been held in Turkey for the past 12 years, the Hurriyet Daily News reports.

The Bible reportedly contains early teachings of Jesus Christ and is written in gold lettering on animal hide in Syriac, a dialect of Aramaic, which was the native tongue of Jesus.

According to a report by National Turk, the Bible was seized from a gang of smugglers in a Mediterranean-area operation. The report states the gang was charged with smuggling antiquities, illegal excavations, and the possession of explosives.

Today's Zaman reports that the Bible is under high security and that a Turkish daily newspaper, the Star, claims the book could be a copy of the Gospel of Barnabas -- a controversial text which some claim is an addition to the original gospels -- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John -- that was suppressed.

In it, Jesus is said to have predicted the coming of the Prophet Muhammad.

Due to its value as a cultural and religious artifact, even photocopies of the pages could be worth between 3 and 4 million Turkish Lira, or about 1,700,000 to 2,300,000 U.S. dollars.

Vatican Requests 1,500-Year-Old Bible Held In Turkey

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This is,in fact,a lost copy of the script of "The Life of Brian" autographed by the cast.

Its value is beyond calculation.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Vatican has a habit of locking things away that dont conform so although I think they have every right to examine it..... it should be done in camera and not in Rome

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree. Regardless of the religious significance this would make a fascinating historical document as well. Would love to be "privvy" to it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Does it have the missing page at the start which says:

"The following text and characters portrayed within are completely fictitious and any similarity to real people is purely by coincidence."

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You can't honestly believe that? Or are you really saying condoms don't protect against HIV and the like?

I'm saying don't make stupid assumptions like that while ignoring all the other information.

Fact is the church teaches celibacy and monogamy before it mentions anything about condoms. People who waffle on about condoms always leave that part out.

If you practice those two things you will NOT catch AIDs.

If you're cheating on your partner or shagging about with randons you're not following the churches teachings anyway, so why them saying don't use condoms would mean anything to people not following their teachings anyway bemuses me.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
What if one person in a relationship IS following these teachings of yours, but the other isn't? Happens quite a lot, unfortunately. Whilst I'd love to live in a world where teaching restraint was all it took to prevent the spread of things like HIV, the fact is that we don't, and I feel that by prohibiting birth control the Catholic church is directly responsible for a huge number of deaths worldwide.

But yeah, I have a feeling this is something we're not going to be able to agree on so I'm going to comment on it again. Back on topic, that bible sounds like a fascinating find, I doubt we'd ever be allowed to know what's really in it though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What if one person in a relationship IS following these teachings of yours, but the other isn't? Happens quite a lot, unfortunately. Whilst I'd love to live in a world where teaching restraint was all it took to prevent the spread of things like HIV, the fact is that we don't, and I feel that by prohibiting birth control the Catholic church is directly responsible for a huge number of deaths worldwide.

If one person thinks the other partner is faithful why would they feel the need to use condoms? You're talking from a point of hindsight. Menaing every single person on the planet needs to wear condoms just incase their partner is cheating, and that includes all the atheists. Who a great deal i'm sure don't wear one with their partners.

Further more, the Catholic Church isn't prohibiting birth control, more false information. A nun in Africa won't hand you out a condom, but she will guide/instruct the person to go to the nearest health clinic to get them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fact is the church teaches celibacy and monogamy before it mentions anything about condoms. People who waffle on about condoms always leave that part out.

these are not the issues. the issues are death of millions of children from famine and diseses caused of overpopulation, often because the catholic church prohibits contraception.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You can guarantee that if it were examined by the Vatican and found to contain anything controversial or which contradicts the party line, it would disappear very quickly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm saying don't make stupid assumptions like that while ignoring all the other information.

If you practice those two things you will NOT catch AIDs.

If you're cheating on your partner or shagging about with randons you're not following the churches teachings anyway, so why them saying don't use condoms would mean anything to people not following their teachings anyway bemuses me.

Oh f*** me, you mean following the teachings of the church through their priests who have been buggering children for decades!

Not to mention the hierarchy of the church covering it up for just as long!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If one person thinks the other partner is faithful why would they feel the need to use condoms? You're talking from a point of hindsight. Menaing every single person on the planet needs to wear condoms just incase their partner is cheating, and that includes all the atheists. Who a great deal i'm sure don't wear one with their partners.

Further more, the Catholic Church isn't prohibiting birth control, more false information. A nun in Africa won't hand you out a condom, but she will guide/instruct the person to go to the nearest health clinic to get them.

So what's the reason the Pope didn't get the Nobel Peace Prize?

The very fact and yes its a fact because the RC Church does not condone the use of condoms this has blindly led many to their death by HIV or starvation. Added to which their cover ups on child abuse which again goes right to the top I would not trust them with a single thing let alone a bit of old hide with scribbling on it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As part of the OU course I am doing, although it is basically about Greece and Rome pre Christ, there are a few references to palestine and on one forum we had , someone went off on one big time about the existance of many gospels , barnabus, mary magdelaine, even judas that the vatican surpressed as they did not conform to the views of Constantine and the Council of Nicaea that basically set the "rules " of what christians were allowed to believe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh f*** me, you mean following the teachings of the church through their priests who have been buggering children for decades!

Genuine question:

What percentage of priests do you think "bugger" children? More than 0.05%?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Genuine question:

What percentage of priests do you think "bugger" children? More than 0.05%?
Very true.

On the other hand, what sane individual takes advice on how to live a family life from a celibate man who has never been married, such as a Catholic priest?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very true.

On the other hand, what sane individual takes advice on how to live a family life from a celibate man who has never been married, such as a Catholic priest?

Fair point. I just feel a bit sorry for those nice little old "Dibley" style priests. Perfectly harmless little old people pottering around doing their bit for the local community etc.

It's the old "no smoke without fire" bollocks as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here