Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vatican Requests 1,500-Year-Old Bible Held In Turkey

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Ok I take your point that the beliefs of modern Christians differ from ones from 100's of years ago, but those beliefs are still based on an ancient book that is hugely flawed, contradictory and outdated.

We wouldn't study from a science textbook from 2000 years ago, as it is clearly not relevant. The exact same should be applied to the bible, and thus all religions based on it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My family came from County Clare in Ireland. At one stage they held great tracts of land around the area of the Burren. By the time they were forced to flee Ireland to avoid persecution most of that land was in the hands of those who were lap dogs to the British Government.

One family heirloom is a document detailing the death by of a family member whose only option to allow his wife and son to keep their home and lands was for him to take his own life. In doing so he being a native relinquished his rights to the land and they went to her and her family who held some sway with the British.

Must have loved his wife and child a great deal to make the ultimate sacrifice for them in that way. These are the sorts of stories that make up aMills & Boon novel.

We all have family historys that are littered with hurt,death and injustice.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
How man still is now as he was back then. The potential to be so full of compasion, or so capable of causing others pain.

This is be because we are animals, and it's in our very nature to be compassionate (when it suits us) and cause others pain (again when it suits us).

One day (if we dont wipe ourselves out first) we may evolve past this. Until then it's just human nature, and this has been recorded in 100's of books. Only a few of these are given special magical religious status though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Uganda has the largest RC population in Africa. Their program to tackle AIDs was a corroboration between church and Government.

that highlighted part is bullcrap, the decline in Aids in Uganda had nothing to do with the RC church. A strong government programme backed with hard cash from donors like the world bank,the availability of Aids related drugs and free drug programmes along with strong education about condom use all contributed.

Uganda has seen a slight rise recently in Aids due to the fact there has been a shift away from promoting the use of condoms to an abstinence only campaign which The RC church is supporting.

have a read of this RC archbishop who helpfully claims condoms are deliberately infected with HIV.
BBC NEWS | Africa | Shock at archbishop condom claim
The RC church routinely talks crap when the issue is africa and condoms,i can now add you to that bracket as well

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Which course are you doing as im interested in doing an OU Course like Art History etc

A219 Exploring the Ancient World...Homeric Greece and The Roman Republic basically. Its a level 2 course ( second university year equivalent) After this, A330 Myth in teh Ancient World and then I graduate.

If you are looking at a course to get you going a few on here have done AA100. That is an Arts Foundation and is bloody brilliant! But get in quick...the transitional fee structure starts this year...my courses are around £700 but they go up to a whopping £2,500!!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Because as soon as a teacher is caught breaking the law, they feel the full force of the law and will never teach again. When the church found it, they kept it quiet, didn't even sack the persons responsible, just asked them to pray a bit more!

I understand what you are saying, but the principle point here is a complete breakdown in trust. Even if it is only 1 priest in 10,000, how do you trust the organisation when those above that priest fail to immediately alert the appropriate authorities!? That is the shock of this scandal, and why it irrevocably tarnishes their reputation.

I have enough 'faith' that a teacher will be held to account, I'm not sure you can trust the same thing happens, even now in the church, and that is why there is the discrepancy.

If you have time read this.

Roman Catholic Abuse: The Claims and the Facts

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Once again you can't claim the church says "don't use condoms" kills people when there's a bunch of other rules people have ignored to get to that point.
If you don't follow rule 1 or rule 2, dont go blaming rule 9 for the issue.
Yes you can. Take away your 'rule 9' and less people die. Of course people don't follow all of the rules all of the time. Everyone sins Tyrone, even you.
Umm I'm pretty sure all along my point was the spreading of bullshit misinformation by the anti-Catholic brigade was as such, bullshit.
So on the one hand you're arguing that it doesn't matter that the church says contraception is bad, because it doesn't cause the loss of lives. Then at the same time, your giving an example of one particular church that has recommended the use of condoms, and lives have been saved (Uganda). And now you're saying that the church never said not to use contraception in the first place. You're wrong Tyrone, the Church did tell people not to use contraception. They may be moving away from that stance, which is great news for humans.

time for you to now not gloss over the fact it was the Church who had a positive effect in helping reduce the incidence of AID's. And perhaps admit that RC is potentially not even a major factor in areas where the % AIDs victims is far, far higher than Uganda.
What? This isn't an argument about whether the Church has ever done anything good, we're simply arguing about the use of contraception. It's also not a debate about what causes the most deaths, simply whether ceasing to advise practitioners to not to use contraception could save lives.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
that highlighted part is bullcrap, the decline in Aids in Uganda had nothing to do with the RC church. A strong government programme backed with hard cash from donors like the world bank,the availability of Aids related drugs and free drug programmes along with strong education about condom use all contributed.

Uganda has seen a slight rise recently in Aids due to the fact there has been a shift away from promoting the use of condoms to an abstinence only campaign which The RC church is supporting.

have a read of this RC archbishop who helpfully claims condoms are deliberately infected with HIV.
BBC NEWS | Africa | Shock at archbishop condom claim
The RC church routinely talks crap when the issue is africa and condoms,i can now add you to that bracket as well
That's not good.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Enjoying Frank Turner's 'England Keep My Bones' album at the moment, perhaps 'Glory Hallelujah' is an appropriate track for this thread:

Brothers and sisters, have you heard the news?
The storm has lifted and there's nothing to lose,
So swap your confirmation for your dancing shoes,
Because there never was no God.
Step out of the darkness and onto the streets,
Forget about the fast, let's have a carnival feast,
Raise up your lowered head to hear the liberation beat,

There is no God,
So clap your hands together,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
There is no God,
We're all in this together,
There is no God,
So ring that victory bell.

No cowering in the dark before these overbearing priests,
Not waiting until we die until we restitute the meek,
No blaming all our failings on imaginary beasts,
No fighting over land your distant fathers told you of,
Not spilling blood for those who have never spread a drop of blood,
No finger pointing justified by phantoms up above,

There is no God,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
There is no God,
There is no God,

And I know you're scared of dieing man and I am too,
But just pretending it's not happening isn't gonna see us through,
So just accept that there's an end game and we haven't got much time,
And then in the here and now we can try and do things right.
Forget about the crazy things that people have believed,
And think of wondrous things that normal people have achieved,
'Cos I've known beauty in the stillness of cathedrals in the day,
I sang Glory Hallelujah! Won't you wash my sins away?
But now I'm singing my refrain and this is what I say,
I say there never was no God.

There is no God,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
There is no God,
There is no God,

There is no God,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
There is no God,
There is no God,

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No it hasn't. Are you a bit historically inept?

People have been having children and starving to death all through out history. To place that at a religions feet if mind blowingly stupid.

Do you know why they have big families in poor nations? Is the economical reasoning why many do beyond your bottomless wisdom?

It very much seems it is.

I'm am not inept or unlike you a bigot.

For your information; A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

I'll accept that traditionally people from "poor" countries do have larger families in the belief that only some will reach maturity due to poor life expectancy. Educating and helping these communities to help themselves has in general seen a lowering of juvenile deaths. Hand in hand with this has been a campaign to educate these people in the realization that they no longer need to have large numbers of children. The RC Church has systematically failed to help.

My wisdom sir is not bottomless I do however fear most of what you believe in or have written does though pass through yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here