Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vatican Requests 1,500-Year-Old Bible Held In Turkey

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I think your concept of what a "God" is and does is different to mine.

How can you seriously have a "concept of God"

Surely you either believe in the Bible and all written within, as it is the word of God, or you believe in none of it.

The very notion you can pick and choose the bits you want to believe or not believe, have your own "concept of God" etc is inherently flawed.

Either it's the word of God, ALL OF IT, or it isn't.

If it is and you believe in him then you must do everything written in that book as it is decreed to you.

If its not the word of god in entirety then it isn't at all and therefore of absolutely zero worth to a religious person, let alone the rest of us.

Hence the only "concept of God" is the one that is written in the bible.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
You have to be very careful picking on part of a group as a representation of it all.

Presuming most of the people on here are Brighton fans, im sure you can all think of people you wouldn't want to represent you as a Brighton fan.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
There's too many world renowned scientists in history to refute your theory that God is only for the ignorant masses.

Far more brillaint minds than yours have believed in a God.

Georges Lemaître says hello.

Oh right? Where does he say hello from? Seeing as his work seems to go against the teachings of God and the Bible i'd imagine it's Hell.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh, you mean like how in this thread the problem with AIDs in Africa is all the RC church fault.

I think you're onto something there...

I was picking up on your point which you make at every opportunity how nearly all the woes of the world are an English problem. As I said get over it I am bored shitless any thread possible you moan about it.

I offered my opinion on the religion not just the RC church, I was brought high anglican as my grandfather was a high anglican priest which is as close to a roman catholic you can get in the church of England covenant.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Now, culture and the preservation or passing of or malleability of is a whole other interesting debate-one that has little place on this thread. If you don't mind me asking, what is your family background?

My family came from County Clare in Ireland. At one stage they held great tracts of land around the area of the Burren. By the time they were forced to flee Ireland to avoid persecution most of that land was in the hands of those who were lap dogs to the British Government.

One family heirloom is a document detailing the death by of a family member whose only option to allow his wife and son to keep their home and lands was for him to take his own life. In doing so he being a native relinquished his rights to the land and they went to her and her family who held some sway with the British.

Must have loved his wife and child a great deal to make the ultimate sacrifice for them in that way. These are the sorts of stories that make up the tapestry of mankind.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There's too many world renowned scientists in history to refute your theory that God is only for the ignorant masses.

Far more brillaint minds than yours have believed in a God.

Georges Lemaître says hello.

I think it's true to say though that more current day scientists don't believe in a god. I don't agree with the common viewpoint that science and religion has to be separated as there are many unknowns in science, and missing evidence to back theories up. I do believe however that religion is just that, a theory, without any evidence apart from old scriptures that were written and contradicted over a vast period of time. The finding in the OP only adds to that, a gospel that was hidden because it didn't fall into place with the others.

Whether people believe in religion to help them through lifes journey and fears is their business, I just prefer to believe in theories that have increasing evidence and facts that back them up.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
As part of the OU course I am doing, although it is basically about Greece and Rome pre Christ, there are a few references to palestine and on one forum we had , someone went off on one big time about the existance of many gospels , barnabus, mary magdelaine, even judas that the vatican surpressed as they did not conform to the views of Constantine and the Council of Nicaea that basically set the "rules " of what christians were allowed to believe.

Which course are you doing as im interested in doing an OU Course like Art History etc

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How can you seriously have a "concept of God"

Surely you either believe in the Bible and all written within, as it is the word of God, or you believe in none of it.

Says who?

The bible is a collection of historical writings and parables.

The very notion you can pick and choose the bits you want to believe or not believe, have your own "concept of God" etc is inherently flawed.

How so? Do all Albion fans have to support their team in the same way?

Belief is about individual truths. No onre person has to have exactly the same personal truth as the next person.

Either it's the word of God, ALL OF IT, or it isn't.

Says who?

If it is and you believe in him then you must do everything written in that book as it is decreed to you.

Says who?

If its not the word of god in entirety then it isn't at all and therefore of absolutely zero worth to a religious person, let alone the rest of us.

I disagree, it has many valuable lessons on life regardless of ones faith or lack of faith. have you not considered that the "word of God" is also the "voice of humanity"?

Hence the only "concept of God" is the one that is written in the bible.

Really? You think that?

What about the Torah and the Koran?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Does it?

I think that's your interpretation of how things are.

Not of what the actual reality is.

Heaven is not a reality. Neither is Hell.

There is absolutely zero evidence to support the existence of either.

Gravity is a reality. If I drop something whilst on earth it will fall downwards towards the Earth. There is infinite evidence to support this and yet still it is the Theory of Gravity. A Theory. Science is willing to admit when it is wrong and amend its theories as new evidence comes to light.

Only religion deals in absolutes. If you do x you will go to hell. Do x and you will go to heaven.

At best it should be called the Theory of Religion (although if you applied the slightest bit of scientific method to yet he Theory of Religion it would be instantly debunked) but that's not the point.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Tyrone, the book itself says it's the word of God. Constantly. All the way through.

I have not read either the Torah or the Koran so am not in a position to comment on either.

I have read the bible however and agree it is a collection of stories and parrables. I don't agree that it is a particularly accurate historical text though. The story of Noah is for example a great story, but it definitely did not happen. Neither did Moses part the Red sea.

Stories are exactly that, stories. I love Star Wars. It's a great story. At the start of it it says "A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away". This does not make it historically accurate though, as it is a story, and just a story.

The bible is a collection of stories and nothing more. Some may be true, others made up but they are just stories never the less.

As for it being any sort of voice of mankind, it's certainly not of any mankind I have ever witnessed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Heaven is not a reality. Neither is Hell.

There is absolutely zero evidence to support the existence of either.

You left out the important aspect "for now".

Gravity is a reality. If I drop something whilst on earth it will fall downwards towards the Earth. There is infinite evidence to support this and yet still it is the Theory of Gravity. A Theory. Science is willing to admit when it is wrong and amend its theories as new evidence comes to light.

You do realise the beliefs of many modern day christians aren't the same as those from 100,200,300 years ago?

The whole premice that the chruches don't change their view points is false.

Only religion deals in absolutes. If you do x you will go to hell. Do x and you will go to heaven.

Thats a sweeping statement.

At best it should be called the Theory of Religion (although if you applied the slightest bit of scientific method to yet he Theory of Religion it would be instantly debunked) but that's not the point.

I don't disagre with that, a belief is but a theory combining the mind and the heart.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As for it being any sort of voice of mankind, it's certainly not of any mankind I have ever witnessed.

Are you sure?

I think it encapsulates mankind throughout history.

If those parables were wirtten thousands of years ago, does it not strike you that they are still quite apt for todays society?

How man still is now as he was back then. The potential to be so full of compasion, or so capable of causing others pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here