Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vatican Requests 1,500-Year-Old Bible Held In Turkey

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You're posting it.

I have written no misinformation. I'm asking for statistical evidence to back up all of these "claims".

Firstly, it is not true to suggest that all unfaithful people have no care for the church's teachings. Secondly, it's not about whether the church follows their flock into the bedroom to stop them using condoms - the Church says not to use condoms, and because of that, less people use them. If the Church changed its stance, less people would die. And while being unfaithful is bad, it doesn't deserve a death sentence. But more than that, the unfaithful person then passes AIDs to their partner.

The evidence is there, but I haven't got time to look it up.

It's not there.

I've searched the world health organisation for it.

Here's some information for you, which you cannot refute as it is documented by the medical community.

Uganda earned its reputation as a paragon of HIV prevention for its now-famous ABC program: Abstain, Be faithful, and Consistent, Correct use of Condoms. Following the implementation of ABC, HIV infection in Uganda decreased from between 15 and 20 percent of the population in the early 1990s to 5 percent in 2003. A comparative analysis of Ugandan population-based surveys in 1989 and 1995 concluded that delaying the age of first sexual encounters, decreasing the number of casual partners, and increasing condom use all contributed to Uganda’s success.

Uganda has the largest RC population in Africa. Their program to tackle AIDs was a corroboration between church and Government.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Uganda has the largest RC population in Africa. Their program to tackle AIDs was a corroboration between church and Government.

Is it just me, or does the idea of a collaboration between Church and Government send a chill down your spine?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Your nations leaders through it's royal families and governments have been repsonsible for more destruction of peoples lives and cultures than almost any other infleunce in history.

Where's your indignation at that? Or are you a moaning sanctimonious hypocrite?

As an aussie you've done alright out of all that destruction of lives and cultures, haven't you?

Perhaps to avoid the self same accusations of 'moaning sanctimonious hypocrite' being leveled at you, you should preface every post with an acceptance and apology or the fact that the wonderful country you live in and the great life that you lead has been at the expense of the natives of your land?

On the topic of the thread, what a great find. I hope it's studied in a transparent fashion and isn't just locked away in a vault somewhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have written no misinformation.
You said that the total number of lives lost due to the Church telling people not to use condoms was 'None'. That's misinformation.

Here's some information for you, which you cannot refute as it is documented by the medical community.
"Uganda earned its reputation as a paragon of HIV prevention for its now-famous ABC program: Abstain, Be faithful, and Consistent, Correct use of Condoms. Following the implementation of ABC, HIV infection in Uganda decreased from between 15 and 20 percent of the population in the early 1990s to 5 percent in 2003. A comparative analysis of Ugandan population-based surveys in 1989 and 1995 concluded that delaying the age of first sexual encounters, decreasing the number of casual partners, and increasing condom use all contributed to Uganda’s success."
WTF? You're giving me an example where the church recommended the use of condoms, and HIV infection decreased.

So you agree with us then ???

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As an aussie you've done alright out of all that destruction of lives and cultures, haven't you?

Strange point to bring up given my ancestors came here because their own lands were taken from them by the same people who took the lands from the Aboriginals. Your point would be valid if I was from English stock and making my points.

Perhaps to avoid the self same accusations of 'moaning sanctimonious hypocrite' being leveled at you, you should preface every post with an acceptance and apology or the fact that the wonderful country you live in and the great life that you lead has been at the expense of the natives of your land?

If you knew anything about the local Aboriginal community they have a long history of siding with the Irish who came to Australia as they could both sypathise with each others plight. Aboriginals with Irish surnames are quite common. Mainly due to the Irish not treating the Aboriginals like scum and intermarrying with them.

Their plight was all to do with the English, nothing to do with me or my ancestors. So you're barking up the wrong tree there.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
This was one school, one head that failed to act. I'm not going to dispute the secular world is immune to such acts, however the point being made was that the church systematically and institutionally across the globe endeavoured to cover these matters up time and time again.

There will be other instances where a head has failed to act, but these are individual cases of negligence on the part of a particular head, or in some cases, negligence by the Local Authority. The Catholic Church were not negligent, they knew exactly what was happening, and endeavoured to cover it up. There is a massive difference to what you are trying to suggest.

I don't disagree you with one iota it's just you seemed to be suggesting in your previous post that it didn't happen in the case of teachers, but it has been covered up so it can't be said that no child is at risk from abuse by a teacher where as any priest is a risk. As a school is a much smaller organisation than the Catholic Church it's just treated as a one off when it isn't. I have no love for the Catholic Church & as an intitution it stinks on so many levels.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well He has some bloody good music writted for people to sing at Him.

one we are singing in a couple of weeks!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You said that the total number of lives lost due to the Church telling people not to use condoms was 'None'. That's misinformation.

Once again you can't claim the church says "don't use condoms" kills people when there's a bunch of other rules people have ignored to get to that point.
If you don't follow rule 1 or rule 2, dont go blaming rule 9 for the issue.

The majority of people in Africa who have AIDs are women. Why? Because of attitudes to women that still exist in Africa. Absolutely nothing to do with religion. This is about the lack of rights for women in Africa. Very little protection is offered to them in the form of rape and spousal abuse.

WTF? You're giving me an example where the church recommended the use of condoms, and HIV infection decreased.

So you agree with us then ???

Umm I'm pretty sure all along my point was the spreading of bullshit misinformation by the anti-Catholic brigade was as such, bullshit.

Not once have I said i'm against the promotion of use of condoms in various situations.

I'm against people with no clue passing comments and making outlandish statements with no statistical data to support it.

time for you to now not gloss over the fact it was the Church who had a positive effect in helping reduce the incidence of AID's. And perhaps admit that RC is potentially not even a major factor in areas where the % AIDs victims is far, far higher than Uganda.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My concept of a God is something that was created by man to explain the unexplainable and control the ignorant masses through fear.

Now we have science, education, logic and reason. These are my Gods.

There's too many world renowned scientists in history to refute your theory that God is only for the ignorant masses.

Far more brillaint minds than yours have believed in a God.

Georges Lemaître says hello.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Strange point to bring up given my ancestors came here because their own lands were taken from them by the same people who took the lands from the Aboriginals. Your point would be valid if I was from English stock and making my points.

If you knew anything about the local Aboriginal community they have a long history of siding with the Irish who came to Australia as they could both sypathise with each others plight. Aboriginals with Irish surnames are quite common. Mainly due to the Irish not treating the Aboriginals like scum and intermarrying with them.

Their plight was all to do with the English, nothing to do with me or my ancestors. So you're barking up the wrong tree there.

So you've not done alright out of it then? You've lived a tough, miserable, marginalised life?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So you've not done alright out of it then? You've lived a tough, miserable, marginalised life?

Depends how you look at it. I've lost almost all of my ancestors culture. It's not until you travel around the world and see other cultures that you can appreciate how wonderful foreign cultures are and how displaced people lose the culture of their ancestors over time and turn into some bland nothingness.

Lifes not all about material gains.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I think it was the British empire which included not only the English, but the Welsh, Scots and yes even Irish. That just so winds me up it is all to easy to cast all the wrongs under the empire as an English problem.

Grow up, get over it, move on.

As for religion and as for the bible one word..... Bollox

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Depends how you look at it. I've lost almost all of my ancestors culture. It's not until you travel around the world and see other cultures that you can appreciate how wonderful foreign cultures are and how displaced people lose the culture of their ancestors over time and turn into some bland nothingness.

Lifes not all about material gains.

Now, culture and the preservation or passing of or malleability of is a whole other interesting debate-one that has little place on this thread. If you don't mind me asking, what is your family background?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think it was the British empire which included not only the English, but the Welsh, Scots and yes even Irish. That just so winds me up it is all to easy to cast all the wrongs under the empire as an English problem.

Oh, you mean like how in this thread the problem with AIDs in Africa is all the RC church fault.

I think you're onto something there...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here