Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Utilities Companies : Thoughts please

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Right chaps - we have recently been blizted with door-to-door NPower cold callers here in Shoreham. Now, I hate cold callers and usually turn them away sharpish, but I listened, and having recently paid a huge bill to British Gas, I provisionally signed up to switch. No sooner had I done that, the very next person I spoke to, told me that NPower wer the worst company to deal with and had more complaints than any other company.

Having no others terms of reference, I turn to the great and the good of NSC for their thoughts and experiences with these companies. Are all these suppliers just as bad as each other ? is it luck of the draw ?

So, whatdoyathink ??

TD.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not a bad investment if you can get both of them.

10x whatever the dice roll is as rent can be rather lucrative.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The thought of saving say £100 a year (not really that much £8 a month) verses the nightmare of changing has always put me off. Especially after British Gas pulled a fast one on us a few years ago when my wife met one of their crooks in a shopping centre and just expressed an interest to get rid of them.

Next thing we knew was a letter from Seeboard saying "sorry you are leaving us" more crooked than MP's these cold sellers

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The thought of saving say £100 a year (not really that much £8 a month) verses the nightmare of changing has always put me off. Especially after British Gas pulled a fast one on us a few years ago when my wife met one of their crooks in a shopping centre and just expressed an interest to get rid of them.

Next thing we knew was a letter from Seeboard saying "sorry you are leaving us" more crooked than MP's these cold sellers

That's a good point. One thing the NPower guy said, was that when they found out I wanted to leave, British gas would ring me up and if I said "Yes" to anything, that it consituted a contract.

About your other point to do with hassle leaving though, what hassle is involved ? It seems like I have to do nothing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
at one point when out of work I spent a couple of months selling utilities (for NPower as it happens).

the figures I was given were not (I believe) entirely accurate and the methods I was instructed/encouraged to adopt to make a sale were frankly dishonest and disreputable.

talking to others "in the business" with competitors I would suggest they are all as bad as each other so take what you believe to be the best deal offered.

web-based comparison sites are a better source of information than cold sellers at your door and no more complicated from your perspective.

good luck :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That's a good point. One thing the NPower guy said, was that when they found out I wanted to leave, British gas would ring me up and if I said "Yes" to anything, that it consituted a contract.

About your other point to do with hassle leaving though, what hassle is involved ? It seems like I have to do nothing.

It might go through smoothly and there is no reason why it shouldnt, I surpose the problems we had sorting it out has clouded my judgement. Just make sure you cancel the direct debits especially if you are in credit (if you pay that way) and pay any balance by cheque, that way you wont have to fight for your money back if they "accidentally" take money after you have left them.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I think there all as bad as each other. I can't stand the punchline they always give you at the door "Did you know Mr x down the road is saving 150.00 a year at this point I say no thank you and shut the door. I'm never rude, these people are only their jobs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I feel sorry for these cold callers as they dont work directly for the utility companies but through a 3rd party provider. Their sales techniques are dubious to say the least , last week a girl was trying to tell me that she could save me money on our gas and electric even though I switched online for a fixed internet based tarriff. If they sign you up for duel fuel they get a £40 commission only payable once the paperwork has gone through.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I worked for Powergen while i was at 6th form

Basically, this guy has taken you as a customer and it is VERY likely you will get billed for AGES by both suppliers

Do not believe a word they tell you if its cheaper, just check yourself, but they do take your services without asking, they just need your mpan number (think thats what it is called, bad memory), and a meter reading

also for the over 65s, powergen had a staywarm scheme which was very cheap at the time (5 years ago)

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
Right chaps - we have recently been blizted with door-to-door NPower cold callers here in Shoreham. Now, I hate cold callers and usually turn them away sharpish, but I listened, and having recently paid a huge bill to British Gas, I provisionally signed up to switch. No sooner had I done that, the very next person I spoke to, told me that NPower wer the worst company to deal with and had more complaints than any other company.

Having no others terms of reference, I turn to the great and the good of NSC for their thoughts and experiences with these companies. Are all these suppliers just as bad as each other ? is it luck of the draw ?

So, whatdoyathink ??

Try this link to compare prices! Cheaper than Utility warehouse for me by £400 a year! Haven Home Loans 100% impartial energy price comparison

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here