Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upcoming European Referendum

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I've got a poll card thing through the post, giving me details of where and when to vote. Thing is - I've heard absolutely NOTHING about the choices that I have. The only thing I've had in the post is from the UK Independance Party. Seems that any kind of advertising that people have been doing has completely missed me. I figured it would be a yes/no vote for joining Europe or something, but apparently there are loads of political parties involved. Dunno what is going on...?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no, its european members of parliament, not the referendum that was in news a couple of weeks ago.

Although it is a damning statement on this country's political process that you dont know this. you should vote UKIP on the principle that they've bothered.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
beorhthelm said:
no, its european members of parliament, not the referendum that was in news a couple of weeks ago.

Although it is a damning statement on this country's political process that you dont know this. you should vote UKIP on the principle that they've bothered.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I haven't got a clue what is going on either! Nothing through my door!

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Well, yeah, I was figuring that I should go with UKIP for making the effort. I think my biggest grievance is with immigration, and they seem to be suggesting that joining with Europe would allow 20 odd million people in, or something. Pfft. My girlfriend was of the opinion that we should be part of Europe, as "it's worked OK in the United States". Hrm.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Maybe so, but as far as I can tell, they're the only ones that are eligible for election. Maybe I'll go out and find a website somewhere that explains exactly what I'm voting for, rather than me just turning up to vote and picking the people with the prettiest logo.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Soton Seagull said:
UKIP - oh dear. A bunch of disillusioned Right Wing Tories, with no credible alternative economic policies, once turning their back on the EU.

:shootself

An incorrect generalisation if ever there was one ! :rolleyes:

One cannot help but generalise when presented with the same UKIP drivel on a regular basis. I'm sure there are some good (if perhaps, misguided) people supporting them, but as with any predominantly single issue party, they lack the necessary credibility and focus to be a serious political alternative.

I suppose we should be grateful that there is another option to the right bewteen the Tories and the BNP, as this may persuade people not to go for the latter.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Seems like they have a pretty varied manifesto.

http://www.independenceuk.org.uk/index.php?menu=manifesto&page=manifestotop

To me, as a 23yr old voter, I am disillusioned with the 3 main parties that are on offer every election - promising pretty much the same things, and delivering very little. I must admit that the UKIP has quite a few things in their manifesto that I find myself agreeing with, particularly with regards to immigration.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
No, I'm saying that the beauty of a democracy is that people can have differing opinions and vote according to their own beliefs without any need for confrontation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here