Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up the Torries!

Nov 3, 2003
call me a genius if you like as ive said before VOTE TORY you know it makes sense, up the Blues no more looney lefties which reminds me 3 Tory Counsellors are backing Falmer and have written to JP to lend their support.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
FG aka Football Genius. said:
call me a genius if you like as ive said before VOTE TORY you know it makes sense, up the Blues no more looney lefties which reminds me 3 Tory Counsellors are backing Falmer and have written to JP to lend their support.

Such a shame then that previous Tory controlled councils were so against The Albion except when there were photo opportunities to be had.

If they had been pro-Albion in the past we would still be at the Goldstone.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Up the Torries!

Yer right :jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Those Tories are only writing to Prescott to get the Albion out of Withdean, not cause they give a shit about the Albion. Anyway, I have alway sheld the view that there is something wrong with you - I mean, seriously wrong with you - if you want to vote Tory, for whatever reason.

Tories Back Stadium Bid

By Tim Dudding

Three Conservative councillors for the Withdean ward have written to John Prescott in support of the proposed stadium at Falmer.

Councillors Ken Norman, Pat Drake and Ann Norman have always been firmly behind Albion's application, and have now written to the Deputy Prime Minister to express their backing of the project.

In a joint letter, the councillors write:-

'We are writing to urge you to support the application by Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club to build a Community Stadium at Falmer, on the north-eastern edge of the Brighton and Hove City boundary.

Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club was given temporary permission to play league Football at Withdean Stadium which is situated in the heart of the Ward that we represent on Brighton and Hove City Council.

Withdean is a quiet, entirely residential area of Brighton and Hove where Withdean Stadium had for many years been used solely for amateur and school sport and included an athletics track where talented young athletes, including Olympic and World Champions Steve Ovett and Sally Gunnell trained in their early years.

As such, it was never an appropriate venue for professional football and given that consideration, permission was granted for a period of three years in 1999 whilst plans were developed for a permanent Community Stadium within the city.

Because of the delays caused by a public enquiry and opposition groups, this temporary permission has already been extended by two years and will need to be extended again if Brighton and Hove Albion are not to disappear from the mainstream Football League.

The use of Withdean Stadium for professional football has resulted in serious traffic and parking problems within this residential area on home match days. The goodwill of the residents and the responsible actions of the club management team, as well as the co-operation of the majority of supporters has made the use of Withdean Stadium just about possible, but this situation cannot continue indefinitely, nor can the temporary use be allowed to appear to drift into a permanent use of the facilities.

This would simply not be acceptable to residents nor would it be a viable option for the football club management.

The club cannot run a viable operation on this site and unless a suitable new Stadium is constructed, Brighton and Hove and the surrounding area will lose one of its most treasured organisations.

Not only will the club be lost but this will also result in an enormous amount of community work being lost to the wider area of Sussex. The club operates a highly successful coaching scheme for local schools, supports women's football, and plays a much valued role in promoting and supporting activities for underprivileged children and families.

This is a responsible football club and we have every reason to believe that the plans to create local employment from the Falmer and Moulsecoomb areas are well thought through, viable and will make a valuable contribution to the increased wellbeing of local residents and their families. There are excellent links by rail and park and ride schemes to Falmer are at an advanced stage of planning.

We believe that the Inspectors Report to Brighton and Hove City Council as a response to the Public Inquiry into objections to the Brighton and Hove Local Plan is seriously flawed in the section that deals with the Community Stadium.

It describes a ploughed field, for many years earmarked for development, situated between the two sprawling campuses of the Sussex and Brighton Universities, as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Furthermore, the report proposes that Sheepcote Valley, a landfill site for many decades, would be a credible alternative location for a Community Stadium.

A completed landfill site is clearly not a suitable area for the construction of a Community Stadium and in addition, there is absolutely no way that necessary transport links could be provided.

We urge you to support the well-considered application by Brighton and Hove Albion to develop a Community Stadium at Falmer so that football supporters may continue to support their local Club.

For us as elected Withdean Ward Councillors, it is vital that Brighton and Hove City Council is able to honour a pledge made to residents of Withdean. The pledge is that the temporary location of Withdean Stadium as a venue for professional football will indeed be 'temporary' and that Withdean can ultimately be returned to an entirely residential, peaceful area of Brighton and Hove.'

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Actually as a resident of Withdean I think Ken Norman is a really decent bloke, whether he is a Tory or not.

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
FG aka Football Genius. said:
no more looney lefties which reminds me 3 Tory Counsellors are backing Falmer

To suggest anyone left of the middle is against Falmer is like suggesting anyone to the right is a racist.

I'm still glad this thread exists though, public support from FG can only harm the Tories chances of gaining at the next election...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Up the Torries!

fatbadger said:
I'm sorry, you'll have to remind me. When was the last time someone even vaguely left-wing had some power in this country?

The government

The BBC (Hasn't changed much since its to main Govenors and labour party doners resigned).

The Education Establishment.

Issue Quango's, Equality Commission.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton

fatbadger said:
I'm sorry, you'll have to remind me. When was the last time someone even vaguely left-wing had some power in this country?

Precisely!!!

Our choice is Tories (the tired old Etonian gits), the New Tories (Blair's right wing spindoctors) or the Lib Dems (Bellotti's party) ....

choice, it's no choice ... I'd rather vote for the tree-hugging Greens or the SNP!

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004

fatbadger said:
Ken Livingstone?

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004

DTES said:
I'm still glad this thread exists though, public support from FG can only harm the Tories chances of gaining at the next election...
But wHAt aBOUT the toRRIES?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Re: Re: Re: Up the Torries!

looney said:
The government

The BBC (Hasn't changed much since its to main Govenors and labour party doners resigned).

The Education Establishment.

Issue Quango's, Equality Commission.

Yeah the country is on it's knees at the feet of these communists. :rolleyes:

The Education Establishment? You've got to be having a laugh.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Anywaaay, tories or not, that article is one of the best considered pieces of writing on why we cannot stay at Withdean. They may have ulterior motives as Withdean councillors, but then again, who of us wants to stay at Withdean?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here