Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unsung Hero

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
0,,10433~8941065,00.jpg

Obviously didn't go tonight, but it sounds like he had a blinder.

In the absence of Greer, he's been absolutely terrific. He was fantasic at the weekend as well.

Yes, he dives a bit. Yes, he's prone to the odd slip up. Yes, he his heading and backpasses can be a bit erratic. And yes, he has a shit tattoo.

But you've got to say fair play to El-Abd for keeping up the form he showed at the end of last season. And I suppose to Poyet too - competition for places is keeping him (and Elphick too) right on their toes.

Good stuff. :clap:

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Done a fantastic job and proved me wrong i thought he was too prone to errors to play in Defence, personally thought he would be best just ahead of defenders, but definately improved no end and one of our best players now.
I think we may do a blackburn and play the 3 centre backs eg Elphick, Greer and El Abd in some away games as blackburn have Samba, Nelson and new lad Jones.
Seems to work for them, i think could suit us as well but that lad Bridcott seemed to have played quite well 2nite.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
El-Abd has been absolutely fantastic this season. The partnership of him and Elphick has been sublime since Greer was suspended, and it proves he won't walk back into the side straight away. You can't also take Calderon captaincy away from him aswell! Competition for places, is something we've haven't had for many seasons and its now an bloody good thing!

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
El-Abd has always come in for some unfair stick. He is, more often than not, the last man back as he is a terrier of a player.

Pleased for him, especially as he is a local lad. Not the most naturally gifted footballer but always gives 100% and he is now reaping the benefits of his consistent effort and perseverance.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He was great against MK Dons and sounds to have been good against Carlise and Plymouth. prior to this he was having some poor games compared to how he finished last season.

Elphick has played well this year, and sounded like he was on top of things tonight

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
0,,10433~8941065,00.jpg

Obviously didn't go tonight, but it sounds like he had a blinder.

In the absence of Greer, he's been absolutely terrific. He was fantasic at the weekend as well.

Yes, he dives a bit. Yes, he's prone to the odd slip up. Yes, he his heading and backpasses can be a bit erratic. And yes, he has a shit tattoo.

But you've got to say fair play to El-Abd for keeping up the form he showed at the end of last season. And I suppose to Poyet too - competition for places is keeping him (and Elphick too) right on their toes.

Good stuff. :clap:

Top post, keep up the good work :laugh::blush:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
On the back of 3 clean sheets in a row I would have thought it would be pretty difficult to justify replacing anyone in the back four on Saturday.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Painter is pretty unsung too.

But I think that's just because people expect him to play well every game now. I'm not sure he's had a bad game for us yet. Our best defender for me.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Painter is pretty unsung too.

But I think that's just because people expect him to play well every game now. I'm not sure he's had a bad game for us yet. Our best defender for me.

I wouldn't say he's unsung.

But perhaps he's taken for granted. Don't think too many will disagree with your other comment though, class act.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would say painter and elphick have been the two most consistent performers so far this season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Our defence used to be our downfall, this is the biggest change since Gus took over, and the most vital, essentially I think a defence is much harder to form than a front pairing, no surprise that results are beginning to come now. Calde, El-Abd, Casper, Elphick and Painter. :bowdown:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
El Abd is our John O'Shea if you like, decent squad player and all the time he is playing this well does not deserve to be oust from the starting 11. Greer had his chance and as a captain his foolishness in his sending off might cost him for a few games however, I see that the long time future lies with him and Elphick.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I'm a fan of El Abd too. The only thing I don't like is his cheating. - feigning injury to try to get a man sent off (Sheff Wed) and telling the ref to book players (Carlisle).
But he does seem to have mastered his temper, which at one time looked like ruining his career.
We do seem to have a very good back four now, and maybe Greer is going to have to wait for a suspension to get in the team.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I think comments on Painter being our best player are spot on, i think was a quality signing along with Calderon, 2 very good full backs and now we have Bennett and Lua Lua (who i wish we could sign permenent) have a very good base here that not many teams could match, i think all four of these could play in the Championship.
But i also think El Abd is up there with our best performers and deserves all praise gets, also even better he is a Sussex boy.
I saw today in starting line up had 9 british players and 2 foreign players but on bench i think we had another 2 british so as much as people say about we have a lot of foreign players, this shows Poyet is mix and matching the two to perfection

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
El Abd is described as "that baldy midget" by one of the Argyle fans on PASOTI :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here